GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?

Go down 
+2
Cadet57
ModernMuscleHead
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?   Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Has anyone ever pulled the trim off a caprice wagon ? If so whats underneath ? Is the paint usually nice, or is there a lot of glue that has to be removed ? I want to pull the side trim off and put front and rear roll pans on, but I don't have the money to repaint the car right now. I don't know how much work is involved with cleaning up under the trim.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midmichiganmodernmuslce.com
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?   Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Do you mean the woodgrain? I pulled mine off last fall.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t1981-de-wooded-the-woody
Back to top Go down
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?   Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 9:47 pm

No I mean the side trim that runs along the lower 3rd of the car. I forget what it's actually called but it's usually there to hit something before the door does saving you from dings. I think it's technically called the body side molding.
Back to top Go down
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?   Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for that link though, I like the nice leather interior in the Roadmasters, but I'm really not into the wood grain and wood grain delete cars seem to be hard to find. I do know where a white one is, but it's not for sale. Interesting to see how it came off and how long it took you.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?   Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:26 pm

yes i have,. use fishing line and carefully saw it off then use mineral spirits to remove the glue left,.DO NOT pull it off unless oyu use a heat gun , you'll have a hillbilly stripe otherwise,.

nick
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?   Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 am

I did it last summer, probably the best thing I ever did to the car! I did it with the car sitting in the sun, yanked the trim off, then used my thumb to rub the glue strips off (painful, but works the best). After a couple days (and bloody thumbs lol) it looked great. I bought a 3M stripping wheel that someone recommended for the glue removal that I will try when I de-trim my 9C1 this year.
Back to top Go down
6500steve54

6500steve54

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?   Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Good info to know, I want to pull mine off this summer. They look sooo much better with it gone. cheers
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?   Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 3:42 pm

i did it to my wagon let it sit in sun then used some wire that you use to pull windshields. once you get it started you can pull it off by hand. i used my thumbs to roll glue off then some paint thinner to get the rest of glue off. my car had previous body work on one of the doors and when i pulled the molding off it took some of the paint with it. my body guy said when the previous work was done they did not let the paint cure all the way and the glue from molding lifted off. so be prepared for surprises
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?   Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever pull the trim off a Caprice wagon ?
Page 1 of 1