GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

De-Wooded the Woody

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

De-Wooded the Woody Empty
PostSubject: De-Wooded the Woody   De-Wooded the Woody Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 12:03 pm

The day finally came to remove the woodgrain from my wagon. Some of you know I work at a funeral home, well a couple weeks ago we had two huge funerals back to back, my wagon got "recruited" to make a couple trips to the cemetery to help set up the chairs and flowers. Well, I decided to use my wagon at work all the time after this (the nice "bonus" I got helped Cool ) But I decided for a professional car the wood was a bit tacky, so off it came. Come spring I plan to install a set of 95 big mirror doors and have the car resprayed. Tints will be coming before Christmas. Anywho here are the pics.

And so it began:
De-Wooded the Woody IMG_20101030_144848

End of day two:
De-Wooded the Woody Ebe977fa

After it was all off/cleaned. I've since painted around the door handles to get me thru winter:
De-Wooded the Woody IMG_20101102_152847
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: De-Wooded the Woody   De-Wooded the Woody Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 12:07 pm

Awesome. Very Happy How long did it take you?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: De-Wooded the Woody   De-Wooded the Woody Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Awesome. Very Happy How long did it take you?

Once I stopped using that shitty 3M spray and switched to a heat gun, about 6-8 hours over two days. The heat gun really helped speed things along. The doors and the tailgate were the biggest pain, imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: De-Wooded the Woody   De-Wooded the Woody Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Are you going to keep the trim that was around the wood grain or no? Some guys have kept it and it looks sharp.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: De-Wooded the Woody   De-Wooded the Woody Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Are you going to keep the trim that was around the wood grain or no? Some guys have kept it and it looks sharp.

If I get the '95 wood free doors, no. If I don't buy them I'm going to keep it on, I was toying with this for the front fender trim:

De-Wooded the Woody IMG_20101111_162551
Back to top Go down
Albert96

PostSubject: Re: De-Wooded the Woody   De-Wooded the Woody Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm

i am real curious to see what happened next?? i am wanting to do the same but i am not sure what to do with the trim
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: De-Wooded the Woody   De-Wooded the Woody Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:23 pm

For now its still like it is in the pics. Still have two feet of snow on the ground so no paint work yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: De-Wooded the Woody   De-Wooded the Woody Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Albert, some guys have taken the trim and polished it (apparently, it's aluminum under there. Or stainless steel. One of those shiny metals. LOL

Others have painted different colors inside the bounds where the woodgrain was that have come out really sharp. There's a lot you can do. Scoping the forum for photos will give you lots and lots of ideas.
Back to top Go down
Albert96

PostSubject: Re: De-Wooded the Woody   De-Wooded the Woody Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 pm

ok thank you for the advise/help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: De-Wooded the Woody   De-Wooded the Woody Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

De-Wooded the Woody
Page 1 of 1