GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Diagnostic tip that might help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sherlock9c1

Diagnostic tip that might help Empty
PostSubject: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:09 pm

So my wife's 99 Chrysler Town and Country has had an intermittent no-start over the past several months. Only happens after 10-15 minutes of driving, shut it down for several minutes, and it'll crank, fire, start, and then die 2 seconds later. Happens several times, then the PCM disables the starter for a few minutes. Wait 5-10 minutes, and the problem disappears. No Malfunction Inidicator Lamp (MIL).

Read through the Chrysler Factory Service Manuals on security systems, and nothing like a stealth mode or anything.

Finally spoke to a very experienced mechanic, and he was stumped until I said "the only code it has is AC system pressure transducer." He told me to check the 5V logic supply line to that sensor and see what else it fed... and it fed the MAP sensor. So if the AC pressure transducer momentarily shorts out the 5V supply, then the MAP will be dead too.The engine is speed density, so no MAP = no run.

For now, I just disconnected the harness from the switch and tied the harness out of the way. This switch is so rare to replace that nobody carries it. I'll swing by the junkyard in the next couple of days and grab one from another van.

So heads up - if you're getting a weird issue, check your 5V supply line schematics and the PCM for trouble codes that don't light up the MIL.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Automotive engineers in all of their infinite wisdom.Maybe this can help Bill with his
mysterious Subie.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 pm

our 98 town and country has a weird problem,. the auto lights will come on at night for no reason,. cycle then shut off,.and all the a/c lights in the heater flash,. we,ve tried nmerous times to reset em,.
chrysler,. meh.
I,d like to find an affordable set of those chrome spoke style 99 rims for it,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:40 pm

This thread is worthless unless you work for NASA or like to look at pictures. I know how I solved the problem.

Houston we have a Problem

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks Houston.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:41 pm

eeeew,. where's the chopsticks holders?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:44 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
eeeew,. where's the chopsticks holders?

Too damn funny, I just spit up my Pepsi!!

Do I HAVE to admit that I actually LOOKED for the holders Razz
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:46 pm

I knew you would like that Nick Razz Razz Razz Razz

Let me warn you and all who are unaware,

That POS has 266 HP.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:47 pm

lornejay1 wrote:
I knew you would like that Nick Razz Razz Razz Razz

That POS has 266 HP.

STILL a minivan and runs on instant rice......

Just bustin' yer bawlz Lorne.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:54 pm

I know Robert, bash away,I opened the door.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:58 pm

lornejay1 wrote:

That POS has 266 HP.

Post up some pics of the brakes on that thing. Based on the one I saw, if you could put those brakes on a B-car, it would be an upgrade.

Actually the 5V reference makes perfect sense once you start thinking of it Jim. And putting only two sensors on that particular buss means you only have two sensors to check if the buss voltage is dead - just unplug one and see if the 5V returns. Easy to diagnose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:37 pm

Lorne got himself a "swagger wagon". LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic tip that might help   Diagnostic tip that might help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Diagnostic tip that might help
Page 1 of 1