GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear Cargo leak and solution

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
silverfox103
silverfox103

Rear Cargo leak and solution Empty
PostSubject: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm

The Caprice wagon that I have had for about 8 months is in really good shape, the only problem I had was water in the drivers side rear cargo wheel well. I drilled a drain whole and kept it inside all winter, so there haven't been any problems. Last weekend I decided to get the hose out and see where exactly the leak was. I narrowed it down to the big cargo window, I did not want to mess with that. I also was suspicious of the little "butterfly" window.

I decided this was a job for professional glass guys. I made an appoint with the local glass company to come out and take the window out and reseal. Today was the day. I said to him, how about putting the hose to that window and see where it leaks. He said if you have an air hose we can really test it, I did. He sprayed window cleaner around the window. It looked like white foam. He then went in the cargo area and used the air hose to blow air all around the window--NO LEAKS. I then sprayed the cleaner around the vent window and he put the air to it. BINGO! That's where the leak is. He looked it over, took the handle apart and tightened the screw, hoping this might do it. Well it was a big improvement, but not fixed. He then looked at the seal around the vent. It was kind of hard where it should be plyable. He worked the seal and sprayed silicon on it. That helped but still leaked.

I said to him, "I have owned these wagons since 1997 and I have never opened those windows nor has anyone else". How about sealing them up, as I will never use them. So I had him seal both windows with urethane. In fact I had him do both wagons while he was there. He did a beautiful job, very neat. He masked around the window and then sealed. It looks great, you would never notice it. Two wagons, four windows, $50, no leaks again or windows flying off.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Now that's an interesting find....
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm

If I go through the touchless car wash, I can watch water coming in around the vent windows. They don't clamp very hard on the gaskets. Maybe I should glue mine down, too. My Caprice sits outside all summer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Wow Tom mark today on the calender as you have met an honest business man who does not
mind showing you his tricks of the trade.Now did you watch what and where he sealed up the
windows because I want to do mine and have for some time.I have had the OCC for 7 years
and only opened the windows probably 5 times total.Now I have a very good reason to go
ahead and seal them up.
Thank You
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Jim G.

Actually, the idea to seal them was mine and he did a great job. Easy job, we all can do it. Shut the window. Mask off the window and both sides of the gap. Fill it in with urethane, and smooth out the joint with soapy water. That's it. He did heat up the urethane. He also told me those side windows never leak, poor design with the butterflies.

Jason

Go do it!

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Glad that you got the leak fixed, makes you feel good doesn't it? I almost danced in the driveway when I stopped mine, lol.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 8:23 pm

I am going to be doing this shortly to both of my wagons. As much as I like having the option
of opening the wing windows I fear the rust issues much more.Kinda wish I had found out
about this idea a long time ago.Thanks Tom a bunch!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Jim, easy to do and it will probably take 1 1/2 hours for both wagons!

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:14 pm

Someone used the air hose with the foam on my window, and stripped my tint off. I was not happy. I can see where my windows are leaking, the reveal molding at the top along the body is seperated from the body.

One of the window guys put butyl around the inside of the seam where the window frame meets the body, and it has stopped the water from coming in. I am concerned that it is still getting between the reveal molding and the body, and causing rust.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 11:12 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
poor design with the butterflies Tom C.

Rear Cargo leak and solution 9k=
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Hey Tom is the urethane clear/transparent annd called just urethane or something else?I have
silicone/werther stripping and about 6 other tubes of junk but I think I am going out and buy
new stuff in the morning.
Thank You
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 12:01 am

It is black, he did say silicon would work also. The stuff he used is what they use to set in windshields.

Tom
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I am concerned that it is still getting between the reveal molding and the body, and causing rust.

A $4 tube of "flowable" silicone will take care of that. Apply it thin enough and you will never notice it.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 3:45 pm

I considered taping above and on the reveal molding, then spatulaing some black urethane in the crack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Cargo leak and solution   Rear Cargo leak and solution Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Cargo leak and solution
Page 1 of 1