GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Back fire and smell of gas.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Back fire and smell of gas. Empty
PostSubject: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Ok I was tooling down the PA turnpike and some idiot in a Jaguar began to tailgate the heck out of me as I was passing a car on the left. When I completed my pass and got back in the right lane he scooted past me and I gunned it. The car took off then it stumbled and backfired a couple of time so I got off of it. Seems totally normal other than that. Smell like raw gas when I stopped just a mile or so later at the hotel.

This is a new one.............. All I can think is that I had raw fuel dumping into the exhaust and then it ignited. But why the stumble? Why the fuel smell? It seems to be dry around the injectors and intake (from what I can see). No fuel seems to be leaking from under the car.

Anyone else see this?

Not really that concerned as runability does not seem to be effected. Maybe the infamous Opti is aciting up. Have a new one to install, but not the time to do it just yet.

Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Do you remmember the last time you stomped on it at road speed and what happened then?
Did you hear any detonation and have you stomped it since?Kinda grasping at straws here Tim
but I am trying.Trans shifting OK?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Do this once and a while to knock out the cob webs. This is the first negative reaction. I recently put the 2.5" exhaust and new to me injectors in her. First stomp since I did the injectors...............

Did not hear any knock, but it would have been hard to hear at 75 mph with my foot to the floor..........
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 8:28 pm

Our '96 Fleetwood at work does this after being on the highway. Was the A/c on? I'm trying to remember what caused ours to do it.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Our '96 Fleetwood at work does this after being on the highway. Was the A/c on? I'm trying to remember what caused ours to do it.

I believe either the heat was on or totally off. I had been running for just over an hour @ 74 ish MPH.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 8:44 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:

I believe either the heat was on or totally off. I had been running for just over an hour @ 74 ish MPH.

I'll remember to ask my boss tomorrow what caused ours. It wasn't pleasant to be standing graveside here a giant BANG and see a small puff of smoke from under the car Laughing
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Ok I think I found my problem. There us fuel running on the frame just behind the driverside front wheel. Is there a transition there between the hare plastic line and something else? I think the line split. It will run but not sure how much fuel I will lose on the way home. I in Monroeville (Pittsburgh) about 4 hours from the house. Will try to get in somewhere tomorrow to fix. I can do it in a parking lot with a new line and a fuel line tool.

It would make sense the it would backfire if fuel if it was fuel starved.

Tim
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 11:54 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
It would make sense the it would backfire if fuel if it was fuel starved.

Tim

yes lean condition backfire
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 11:56 pm

Tim have you been eating Chilli? cause I do that alot after eating chilli!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Had it fixed today. Repaired the line with a brass insert.

Tim
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 11:20 am

Glad you fixed it. Driving with a gas leak can be sort of scary Laughing Maybe this will help your mileage, too.

Jon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks Jon,

It cannot hurt......... Seems to have more power, but that happens every time I drive my Saturn Vue for a couple of days......... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 11:59 am

Tim go back and find the Jag and make us proud!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Had to cover the same stretch of road today. NO JAG THIS TIME......... I WAS LOOKING......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back fire and smell of gas.   Back fire and smell of gas. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back fire and smell of gas.
Page 1 of 1