GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear wheel clearance question......

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Smith

Rear wheel clearance question...... Empty
PostSubject: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 1:15 am

I've noticed that the Keystone Klassic rims I use on my '96 Roadie wgn allow for complete tire cleaning (barely) on the car's right side but I can't get my hand in between the tire and quarter panel on the left side scratch No evidence of any rubbing. I don't remember checking this with the original rims though, so It may be a wheel issue (but doubt it).
Anyone else have this situation with their wagon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 8:43 am

Nothing wrong with your rims its just the way the body sits on the frame.A lot of the wagons
have this uneven clearance problem.Probably didnt notice the difference with the stock rims
on the car because you have plenty of room to clean the tires on both sides.Hows is the paint
tint problem coming along?Beautiful car and the Keystone wheels look great.
Way back in the 70s had a set of Keystones on a Nova with a huge lip and actually lost the outer chrome ring one night racing.Rims were bought brand new but the company would
only offer to sell us another wheel,no warranty repair back then.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 8:55 am

I doubt it's worth the time and aggrivation to loosen the rear body mounts and allign the body on the frame , I've got enough other stuff on my Roadie to do list, this will wait. It's only off by less than an inch. Got my paint supplier to re-tint my paint, when I finish my rear bumper cover work, I'll see how the paint matches (or dosen't). I'll spray a test panel first though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 9:09 am

Steve just curious as to whats a quality paint job on one of our wagons might run today.I
know that there are many variables to consider but just a very rough guess would be fine.
Damn thats a stupid question that I am sure will get some redicule and teasing but would
2000 dollars get you busy or not even close?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Left being which side of the car? Depends from which direction you are looking, lol

I have Crager soft 8s that are reaaaal close to the passenger side skirt. These rims have been on 3 cars 91, 92, and a 94 and all three have had passenger side clearance issues.

The difference is about .5 to .75 of and inch from driver's to pass side.
They are 15x8 with 4 inch backspace. On the pass side they are about an 1/8 inch off the skirt
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Steve just curious as to whats a quality paint job on one of our wagons might run today.I
know that there are many variables to consider but just a very rough guess would be fine.
Damn thats a stupid question that I am sure will get some redicule and teasing but would
Jim Gordon

Materials these days are freek'n ridiculos cost wise! Any type of red or colors with pearl in them will be a lot more than more basic colors.My supplier has a wide variety of paints available including acrylic enamel (bascially used car lot, Maaco quality), polyurathane base coat / clear coat,etc. A quart of my light adriatic blue (base color only), in the best grade PPG makes, cost me about $116. A customer's '98 Chrysler medium green, which has a lot of pearl in it was $175 a quart.
I don't do very many full dips anymore as they are too time consuming plus I have no spray booth per se.I'm not looking forward to doing my own wagon much less a customer's as I'm a 1 man shop.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 6:35 pm

Ouch!!!!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 7:15 pm

For morbid curiosity's sake: how much paint will it take to paint your whole wagon?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Jim Gordon

For what its worth Jim, I got quoted about $1500 for a full paint job with clear coat at a local body shop. The manager is a friend of my father so that might have helped the price, but another body shop quoted me about $1650 for the same job, so I would say $2000 is not an unreasonable amount.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Steve Smith wrote:
I don't do very many full dips anymore,... plus I have no spray booth per se.I'm not looking forward to doing my own wagon much less a customer's as I'm a 1 man shop.

Your just like me 1 man band and no booth here is what I did about 6 years ago it took me 7 months of working but I never put one 40hr week in that time frame mostly 34 hrs and some 20 hr weeks.

Rear wheel clearance question...... Gtostart

7 months later:
Rear wheel clearance question...... 69GTO
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Stingroo wrote:
For morbid curiosity's sake: how much paint will it take to paint your whole wagon?

Figure on ......1 gallon of sealer
1 gallon of base coat blue
1 gallon of clear
1 gallon of reducer
2 quarts of catalyst (hardener fot the clear)
1 pint of base "sparkle silver" for the Rally stripes

stripes on the hood and tail gate only
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:01 am

Steve what typeof spray gun are you using? I swear with today's technology I haven't bought a gallon of paint for anything in years.

Dupont has the valushade sealer, or primer. So you use less base coat.

Example: the car above being red I used a white sealer and only put 2 coats on using a HVLP gun. And since it is a 1:1 mixture I only bought half a gallon of paint (B/C).
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:19 am

I'd rather have more than needed than to run out during the job. I'd think at least 3 quarts of base with some left over for the occassional touch-up or next time I back into something! Cheaper to buy a gallon than 3 quarts. I haven't actually sat down and figured it out, those were just off my head guesses. I've tried gravity feed hvlp guns (bought 2) but just couldn't get used to them and wound up sending them back. Guess I'm just old school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel clearance question......   Rear wheel clearance question...... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear wheel clearance question......
Page 1 of 1