GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning

Go down 
+7
oldscruiser
phantom 309
Cadet57
Dutch Pete
1993 Roady-man
BigBlackBeaSSt
Steve Smith
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Smith

poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Empty
PostSubject: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 12:47 am

On my way to the shop this morning, sitting at a busy intersection, first in line on the inside lane, when up next to me rolls a red Pontiac G8. I know better than to try and beat one in any kind of speed contest, but.......I think I surprised the hell out of him 'cause Iwas first off the line when the light turned green. My lead lasted maybe all of 25 feet.The owner punched his Pontiac and it was bye bye Roadie. Good fun. I mean stock vs stock, he's got me by a full 2 seconds in the 1/4 mile I figure.
At least I lost to(what looked to be)a mature man in his 50s and not some cocky punk in a "ricer".
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:45 am

Steve,

Let me repeat myself. YOU CANNOT LOSE. Think about it. Do you think he got to his work and bragged that he beat an 17 yr old wagon? Shocked I am sure he is not proud of the "win". Now if you caught him sleeping and walked him..... THAT WOULD BE A WIN!!

It is all perspective.......... Wink
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:58 am

LOL and sure glad it wasn't a rice burner.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:27 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Steve,

Let me repeat myself. YOU CANNOT LOSE. Think about it. Do you think he got to his work and bragged that he beat an 17 yr old wagon? Shocked I am sure he is not proud of the "win". Now if you caught him sleeping and walked him..... THAT WOULD BE A WIN!!

+1
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:30 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Steve,

QFT. Laughing
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:40 am

LS motor vs LT motor + about a 1000lb difference in weight,.
IF your wagon had 3:73's in it,.and a performance tune,. mebbe a little different outcome,.

G8,. meh,..

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:43 am

Way to go Steve.Wholeheartedly agree with Tim and our wagons are still not HOTRODS!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 8:04 pm

I actually like the G8s and wouldn't mind having one some day. I seem to remember they were doing mid 13s in the 1/4 mile with even better results for the high output model. I believe 3:73s and a good tune might get me about 1/2 second less in the 1/4, so about a 15.00 at 90-92 m.p.h. Still no contest for those "down under" Ponchos Neutral
Back to top Go down
oldscruiser

oldscruiser

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Way to go Steve.Wholeheartedly agree with Tim and our wagons are still not HOTRODS!
Jim Gordon

I agree.., mine is fairly quick..., but bottom line is it's (at least mine is) a cruiser car.
I show up to be seen, and try to avoid the race if I can help it.
Too many tickets, and I like to keep them guessing when they can't see the engine, and only hear the exhaust note barely turning over on the duals. I'm putting out 313hp on my 5.7 EFI, but that's still a lot of ship to get going. That's why I call it the Drednought.

Now my 92 GMC Typhoon...., I'd eat that G8 for breakfast..., at least in the first quarter mile anyhow. : )
Anything after that, they may could catch me..., but by that time i've made my point.

Funny story about the G8's.

Apparently, after GM announced shuttering Pontiac, they (holden) had quite a number of front facia designed for the G8, and had no where to use them. Someone came up with the ideal of sticking them on the Holden high end sport ute's (el camino) which originally was going to be used for the Pontiac G8 Ute
poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Untitl10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Maybe not on the big end but since most street races are over in a couple hundred feet,a set
of gears and a tune will definitely effect the outcome of any street race.Hopefully the cop
will be more interested in the shiny new car and not some huge station wagon.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:50 pm

The wood absorbs radar..... It also acts like camo to the police officers eyes....... WE BLEND!!!
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:50 pm

steve i will be taking my wagon soon to atco. you want to go. no need to guess what she will do. i think mine ran 15:40s when it was stock except flowmasters. it had 2:56 open end. will have to see if old slips are still around
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Seems like everybody that has run their wagons down the 1/4 mile has run between a 15 flat
and a 16 or less.I guess these wagons are pretty consistant as long as you are paying attention
to your light!Kind of like the old kodak commercials just"Point and Shoot",stay in your lane
and thats all you have to do when drag racing these beasts.Would deatry love to see Steve
Morris run his 7 second white woody down the quarter mile at about 220 mph.Now thats a
scary damn ride at least for me!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Mine's bascially stock,tow package gearing (2.93?) posi, aftermarket mufflers ( for some rumble but no h.p. improvement). Best was a 15.54 @ 88.6 mph.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Evening Steve I guess you and I are it for Saturday night at least until later anyway.Hows the
wagon coming along?I took my LT-1 out this morning for a quick ride around town and now
parked again for a while.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 11:34 pm

Just finished a customer's Chrysler yesterday after about 1.5 weeks of work. Got a 2008 Suzuki motorcycles to complete before it goes on ebay. Hope to work on my bumper cover and install it by next weekend.Tired of looking at the car missing that rear cover. At least the air cond. works great!
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:02 am

oldscruiser wrote:

Funny story about the G8's.

Apparently, after GM announced shuttering Pontiac, they (holden) had quite a number of front facia designed for the G8, and had no where to use them. Someone came up with the ideal of sticking them on the Holden high end sport ute's (el camino) which originally was going to be used for the Pontiac G8 Ute
poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Untitl10

actually the Maloo ( the name of the ute) was supposedly comming here. and was ready to ship when they killed pontiac. i was bummed. i was ready to sell every non-essential thing i own to buy one!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:09 am

This would be a nice post for the racing section. We actually have one.
Back to top Go down
oldscruiser

oldscruiser

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 2:10 pm

[quote="a1awind"]
oldscruiser wrote:

actually the Maloo ( the name of the ute) was supposedly comming here. and was ready to ship when they killed pontiac. i was bummed. i was ready to sell every non-essential thing i own to buy one!

I was reading a article the other day, that one of Chevy's big bosses, was from Holden, and they were talking about bringing over the Ute (El Camino) with the next redesign of the body style, which was 1 or 2 years away.

Yeah..., I'd say I'd have to drop some bucks as well to jump in that line for a new el camino..., SS of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 2:22 pm

There sure are enough station wagons drag racing on YouTube.I think its funny how almost
every video is titled"watch this guy get beat by a STATION WAGON.Our wagons are always
looked down on by the ignorant and foolish but we know better.Most of the guys picking on
station wagons wouldnt know cool if it bit them on the rearend.I have read the same thing on
a couple of forums about bringing back the El Camino.One of the big bosses at GM alledgely said
if he got 100,000 votes over on Jalopnik.com he would do everything in his power to bring back
the El Camino from Australia.
Fingers Crossed
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
oldscruiser

oldscruiser

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
TOne of the big bosses at GM alledgely said
if he got 100,000 votes over on Jalopnik.com he would do everything in his power to bring back
the El Camino from Australia.
Fingers Crossed
Jim Gordon

Lol, was that votes or Pre-orders?
I think I read something about that. Is the voting link still up? I'll lend my vote if I can find the poll.
I think GM thinks it's a niche market car, which it may be, because for every person I find that likes a el camino, there is one that hates it.
But with that logic..., why is the dodge challenger doing so well. It's more or less a niche car.
Because people love it's retro styling and hot rod looks.
Bringing back the camino is a no brainer....
poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Holden10
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:20 am

[quote="phantom 309"]LS motor vs LT motor + about a 1000lb difference in weight,.
IF your wagon had 3:73's in it,.and a performance tune,. mebbe a little different outcome,.

G8,. meh,..
Found these specs from a G8 owner's site

G8 GT , 6.0 V8 with 355 h.p and 385 ft lbs of torque

curb weight 3995 lbs

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon
5.7 V8 260 h.p., 330 ft lbs of torque

my vehicle's weight (including class 3 hitch) , approx 4600 lbs
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:51 am

I miss Pontiac...a lot.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:04 am

Bitchin' lookin' truck just the same.

I also wouldn't have minded this version of the HHR coming to town either.but GM has already killed that too.

poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Chevrolet_HHR_Concept
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:24 pm

oldscruiser wrote:

I think I read something about that. Is the voting link still up? I'll lend my vote if I can find the poll.
I think GM thinks it's a niche market car, which it may be, because for every person I find that likes a el camino, there is one that hates it.
But with that logic..., why is the dodge challenger doing so well. It's more or less a niche car.
Because people love it's retro styling and hot rod looks.
Bringing back the camino is a no brainer....

Heres the Jalopnik link:
http://jalopnik.com/5798792/gm-will-bring-back-the-el-camino-if-100000-people-comment-on-this-post

That said. I can't recall where I read it. But in addition to testing the waters with a civilian version of the new Caprice, GM is also toying with a wagon and El Camino (as mentioned earlier) version. I for one would LOVE to see all three make it to production. Heck, maybe even make the Sedan (as a Caprice/Impala SS model) and El Camino models under a new GM "SS" marque, sorta like Pontiac was their performance brand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning    poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

poor 'ol girl got her butt handed to her this morning
Page 1 of 1