GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A little advice if you would.

Go down 
+11
phantom 309
buickestate
81X11
bcreasy
Nick Danger
a1awind
BigBlackBeaSSt
lornejay1
Fred Kiehl
Steve Smith
Donzie
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Donzie

Donzie

A little advice if you would. Empty
PostSubject: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:36 am

So I just got this '93 Roadmaster and I'm loving it. It's cool that a previous owner replaced the grill with an Impala SS one and the stock wheels with SS ones. For years I admired the looks of a '94-'96 SS and, in a way, I finally got one. My concern is, is this uncool, having a Chevy badge on the grill and Impalas on the wheels? I really like the sporty look but I don't want people to think I'm trying to pull a fast one, making the car something it's not. I could put Buick emblems on the wheels but what do I do about the bowtie on the grill?
Am I being overly concerned?

BTW, I did a vin# search and found that my car is only 1 of 3 with all the same options. I thought that was kinda cool.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:53 am

In my opinion, the saying "be true to your school" applies here. Making a Caprice wagon into an SS wagon is quite acceptable, turning a Buick Roadmaster Estate into a Chevy clone is like taking a Mercury Grand Marquis and making a faux cop car out of it, leave that to the Ford Crown Vics. Ya get what I'm say'n ?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 8:44 am

Does it have the original Buick bumper? If so, you could get a Buick grille and make your own insert for it with a Buick emblem on it. If the front bumper has been changed, you could get a smooth caprice grille, and make an insert for it. Selling the grille you have now would probably pay for the mods.

The search may be off a little, My 92 OCC is supposed to be one of one, but I know better.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 8:47 am

I don't think it should matter.

This wagon got me hooked,and I only realized it was a Buick years later.

A little advice if you would. Nomad1-1

A little advice if you would. Nomad3

This is why I want your Roll Pan Fred Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:09 am

lornejay1 wrote:

That is the one with the license plate recess.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:11 am

You could color match you original grille and send me your old one..... Wink. But really it looks great!. I would continue with the theme and change the front bumper to match the grille.

I love the Impala look and the vista roof!!! Just me I guess.....
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:39 am

Steve Smith wrote:
In my opinion, the saying "be true to your school" applies here. Making a Caprice wagon into an SS wagon is quite acceptable, turning a Buick Roadmaster Estate into a Chevy clone is like taking a Mercury Grand Marquis and making a faux cop car out of it, leave that to the Ford Crown Vics. Ya get what I'm say'n ?

dude.....VERY well put!

don, see my comment on the stationwagonforums.com as for my opinion.
look at 200oz's Buick. and see the painted buick grill! then either leave it badgeless or put a flat badge on the hood or center of the grill!
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:42 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
You could color match you original grille and send me your old one

DO NOT FEED TIM!! lol! lol!

tim... if he sent you that grille im pretty sure you would have enough parts to actually build a wagon from the ground up!
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:51 am

If we all jumped off a cliff, would you do it too? It's your car, customize it how you want. You don't see anyone complaining about Pat's convertible.

In my opinion, the Impala grille doesn't look right on the Buick nose. An Impala nose looks okay on the Buick body. Impala wheels look pretty good on the Buick.

Don't worry about someone thinking that you're flying false colors. The people you want to impress already know that there was no SS wagon, so they know that you're just playing with the look. So if you don't go around telling people, "Yeah, it's an original SS! It's super rare!", you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:33 am

Nick Danger wrote:
The people you want to impress already know that there was no SS wagon,

But we also know there was,and looky there,it had a Buick rear window.Only on one side.

A little advice if you would. Wagonss3
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:50 am

Nick Danger wrote:
It's your car, customize it how you want.

I agree with this statement. I am sure people here wont agree with me molesting my RMW but I want a sleeper again. But at the end of the day its MY car and NOT anyone elses Customize your new ride as you see fit and enjoy it Cool
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 11:56 am

If you like it, leave it alone. It's your car. Or go further and dig up a Caprice front bumper cover at the salvage yard and have it painted, which will match your grill and the rest of the car better. Finish out the exterior SS treatment.

I like the Impala wheels and grill, and the only thing that jumps out as "wrong' in your pics is the bumper cover.

Nice Car!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Donzie I hope by now,the other members views are clear!If it makes you smile when you see
it sitting in the parking lot waiting for you,what others think is irrelevant.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Hey, he's the one that asked our opinions, it's not like we saw his car and then voiced our thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Donzie

Donzie

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:02 am

Wow, I'm impressed with all the replies. Yes, it does make me smile when I look at it. I'll check in to the front bumper cover, will it be a easy swap?

I've been giving this a lot of thought. What about a Caprice SS? Makes a little more sense since there weren't any Impala wagons to begin with. I could rationalize an upgraded Caprice with the Vista window and Impala wheels and grill. I would put SS emblems on the wheels. I think I could even come with a Caprice SS badge for the rear quaters (even if it's a decal).
Thanks for all the input, you've put my mind at ease. The grill and wheels stay.
Back to top Go down
Donzie

Donzie

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:05 am

lornejay1 wrote:

I REALLY dig this paint job!!! Somebody had a good vision.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 1:48 am

Donzie wrote:
Wow, I'm impressed with all the replies. Yes, it does make me smile when I look at it. I'll check in to the front bumper cover, will it be a easy swap?

I've been giving this a lot of thought. What about a Caprice SS? Makes a little more sense since there weren't any Impala wagons to begin with. I could rationalize an upgraded Caprice with the Vista window and Impala wheels and grill. I would put SS emblems on the wheels. I think I could even come with a Caprice SS badge for the rear quaters (even if it's a decal).
Thanks for all the input, you've put my mind at ease. The grill and wheels stay.

Many of us here have Roadmaster Gran Sports....I think a Caprice SS would be fine. ; )
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 3:38 pm

It's not mine anymore and it's not a convertible, it has no top, it's an 8 passenger roadster!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 3:41 pm

back a few years ago there was a wagon member here who owned a wagon that was part roadmaster, part Caprice and part OCC, it was a nice woody too.

Its your wagon enjoy it how you see fit.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 3:42 pm

And if you really want to mess with people you can rebadge it as a Pontiac!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 3:56 pm

81X11 wrote:
Donzie wrote:

Many of us here have Roadmaster Gran Sports....I think a Caprice SS would be fine. ; )

There's a couple of WAGON SS cars around too,.
A little advice if you would. MVC-888S
A little advice if you would. MVC-067S

Nick
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Here is a nice grill treatment:

A little advice if you would. 3815730853_140732a0f5_b

I personally would do a theme with no badging at all, no bowties, no Buick shields, run without center caps, or just a black circle in the middle, it's always good to make people wonder...
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 6:16 pm

ChevyChugg wrote:
it's always good to make people wonder...

I'm wondering if a grit guard came with that bucket caddy........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Are you kidding me Robert,I was thinking the same thing!Thought it was a chemical guys
bucket at first but now I think its a Griots.What an interesting way of looking at things.
Freshly washed wagons always look great!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:05 pm

A little advice if you would. BluSShamunewfrontbumper

A different "unique" grille,.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Always did like that car..... now get yourself some smoked headlights to complete the look....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Magic floating SS emblem is COOL!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 9:00 am

The SS is crooked in that pic....
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 9:12 am

not crooked..... offset. looks like one "S" is physically lower than the other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:35 pm

Maybe its that lazy S disease?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 2:49 pm

Lazy "S" or lazy ass.

Which is it?

Nice topic for a poll!
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 5:01 pm

Let me know if/when you want to do whatever custom decals you come up with and I'll hook you up because a friend of Flathead Pete's is a friend of mine.

Have you considered flames?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little advice if you would.   A little advice if you would. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A little advice if you would.
Page 1 of 1