GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck Empty
PostSubject: Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck   Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:42 pm

I got a non-dented stainless tailgate trim piece at the salvage yard a while back and wanted to put it on my car before Cars and Coffee. I took the screw off on the driver's side and spend the last 20-mins TRYING to get the old dented one off.

I can't break the clips...I don't have time to go yarding for more before the show Saturday morning. I don't want to force it. I can wiggle it a little but it's not coming off.

Anyone want to give me some words of wisdom? I'd really like to replace this trim piece.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck   Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 5:51 am

Does it move around once you took screws out? It should just lieft upwards and pop off after that. Unless of course someone glued it in place.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck   Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 9:50 am

It only has a screw on the driver's side. Looks like a clip on the passenger's side. I tried lifting it up and pulling it off but it only raises up a little.

Planning to wax and detail the car tonight after work...and then load it up. Will try again.

We're heading to Big D tomorrow as soon as I get off work.
Looking forward to this weekend!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck   Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 am

Have a great time Mike and stay safe.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck   Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 12:38 pm

I Just looked at the tailgate chrome trim with clips that I have. You were doing it correctly, by lifting it from the bottom. By any chance, there wouldn't be any sheet metal screws hidden behind the black rubber trim?

Good Luck

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck   Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 12:42 pm

I have a question for Jarrod.The black trim that is on your wagon,is that the original or maybe
something you made work.You have the straightest lines on your wagon that I have ever
seen.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck   Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 4:12 pm

I think it's just stuck. Never been off.

I decided to leave it as-is for now....don't want to risk breaking it before the show Saturday. Will mess with it later.

Looking forward to going home and waxing the car after work tonight.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck   Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 5:19 pm

The bottom of the clips are spring loaded. If you pick the trim up and roll the top off of the clips it should come off. Open the tailgate long ways and start at the end the swings out. This will make it easier to start. Be careful the clips will be pretty brittle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck   Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grrrrr....tailgate trim is stuck
Page 1 of 1