GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!

Go down 
+10
Nick Danger
95BRMW
Sprocket
phantom 309
94X2
94Woody
DBeaSSt
Bandwagon
81X11
BigBlackBeaSSt
14 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Empty
PostSubject: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:18 am

This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Th_Everythings_Amazing_Nobodys_Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:28 am

That's true isn't it! My wife played Angry Birds all the way from Austin to Dallas last month...at night. That's 3-hours...flashing in the passenger seat. By Waco, about half way, I was wishing cell phones had never been invented. Then the battery died and she got all in a bad mood about it.

Plus I would not stop at a Redbox to get a new DVD for the kids to watch in the back seat. They had to watch one they'd already seen...and my oldest griped about it......I would have given ANYTHING to be able to watch a movie on a road trip as a kid. ANYTHING, but NO I had to sit in the back seat and listen to my parents sing along to Dad's Urban Cowboy cassette.....for hours and hours and hours, while my little brother played "I'm not touching you".....

What a world we live in!!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:35 am

The rotor phone bit was great!! I can remember trying to dial a radio station for a contest. They used to limit the contest to those with rotary phones and not push buttons to make it fair.

And the "Seat in the sky". Why are we are NOT in aw of such things!!!
Back to top Go down
Bandwagon

Bandwagon

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:05 am

Awesome. My grandparents lived way out in the middle of nowhere, and had a party line, you would pick up the phone and someone would be on it from another house. On a long car trip, I would sleep in the floor of the car, with pillows in the floor board, to even out the hump from the (very hot) Trans tunnel. Everyone had the TV you had to tune with pliers after the knob broke, with 3 channels. My kids wouldn't be able to function like that.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:23 am

Yep I remember when we first got cable and had more than 7 channels. It was amazing! I also remember our first microwave, my first CD player, and our first VCR. All amazing, and all taken for granted now, or replaced by newer technology.

I remember as a kid spending hours listening to the radio and American Top 40 making tapes. Nothing like running to the stereo to hit record and then trying to hit Stop or Pause just as the song ended before the DJ or commercial started. I think it was around 1986 I got a stereo with two cassette players in it so I could make custom tapes from other cassettes. I was SO proud of that thing!

I'm only 37, but I can say loud and clear that kids today sure are spoiled!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:28 am

I am 45.... I remember pricing a "Mobile Phone" for my car in 1983/84. That would be installed into my 1974 Vega. I would have cost me about $1000-1500 a month for radio service!! I thought it was cool that Charlie's Angles had phones in their cars!!!

Now we gripe if we don't have coverage on every inch of our drive!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:30 am

I'm sort of the in-the-middle kid. I remember playing outside, barefoot, and coming inside when the sun went down (or all hell broke loose). I remember riding my bike 5-10 miles just to go to a trading card store to buy a pack of whatever the latest game thing was (with my own money) because I wanted it. I hate hate HATE cell phones. I only own one because the phone service provided on campus won't let you dial long distance (pretty useless, if you think about it).

However I do love my laptop, and I do quite a lot on the Internet. I hate television - it's all drivel. I only watch racing and one or two comedies. MP3 players, however, are amazing. I almost ALWAYS have one by my side (excellent on road trips, by the way).

Meh.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:40 am

Funny clip and true, we take technology for granted and today's "kids" don't understand a world without it.

Technology is changing how we live so quickly. The scary part is the rate of change is going to accelerate. That cell phone you carry now, in 10 years, will look like an 80's mobile phone does to us now.

Think about it, folks my age remember what life was like before computers were everywhere. Our kids have never seen a world where they don't touch computers (yes your smart phone, mp3 player, etc is a computer) daily.

Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:48 am

Ugh, cannot stand that Conan idiot.

While I remember rotary phones and life without all this technology I don't really mind it. We had a computer in the 80's yet still spent most of our time outside playing.

I remember seeing one of the first CD stereos and remember the price being well over a grand, lol.

I had a Walkman for road trips.

Angry Birds is VERY addicting.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Just think, some of us drove cars that DID NOT need computers to run.

Jon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Without power windows and air conditioning
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:48 pm

some of us knew how to make a call at a payphone using a paperclip,.
went to my first hockey game in canada,. i couldn't believe it was in color,.
my first mobile phone could double as a personal protection device/wheel chock, the car got worse fuel mileage hauling it around,.

nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Now I feel very old.
I remember running a crank to squeeze out the excess water before hanging up the clothes
OUTSIDE!All of the washing equipment was in the basement and everything had to go up and down those damn stairs.When I got my first Dwell/Tach I thought I was a superwrench.
You wrenches remember the sun analizers that were 6' tall,8'wide and 2'deep and now the same testing equipment is on your PHONE.It took 10 minutes just to hook that machine up
to a car.Damn kids.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Great Clip, so true, gonna make my boy watch it...

Taking 3 days to drive to Florida from Philadelphia in the 1960 Caddy with no AC, AM radio and no I-95 south of Washington DC. for the most part.

Watching Man walk on the Moon on Live TV.......
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Its so true. I grew up with cars with crank windows and no power locks, so I still find those features amazing in my RMW. Thanks for sharing, hilarious!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Leaded fuel, Lap Belts, manual drum brakes and large metal dash boards.

The M in MTV meant music.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:13 pm

94Woody wrote:
The M in MTV meant music.

Heck yes! I miss that a lot!
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:52 pm

We have two cars, both with more than 100,000 miles on the odometer. I remember when odometers didn't even go that high, because cars didn't last that long.

We just got back from a trip to Utah. While we were in Utah, 600 miles from home, I checked my email, on a laptop, in a motel, using free wi-fi. I stopped and thought, "That was cool."

I learned to shoot pictures on film. You could take 24 shots, then you would have to take the roll out of the camera and insert another roll. Then you would take the rolls home and pay someone $8-$10 apiece to get them developed. Then you could come back to get the pictures on Friday. If I wanted to use a picture in a competition, I took the print and the negative to a custom developer and paid good money to dodge and burn enlargements. This weekend we took a couple hundred photos in a row, and then looked at them in the motel on the laptop. It took six minutes to upload. Mrs Danger is going to touch up the pictures using Jasc Paintshop on her home computer. I love it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:16 am

The most telling was July 21st 1969. We went out and rented a colour TV to watch the moon landing only to find out the broadcast was in black and white. Regardless we set it up out on the patio (with rabbit ears no less), and stayed glued to it for the entire day.

Growing up I was lucky enough to have my great uncle living with us, and in 1969 he was in his eighties. I mention this because after watching Armstrong step down onto the surface and giving his "One small Step" statement, uncle Willie sat back and said:

"I have now seen it all. When I was growing up if you had to go somewhere you walked, or if you were really lucky, rode a horse or wagon. A trip into town was usually planned a week in advance and normally took the full day. If you had to get between cities you took a train if you were close to a rail line. Heat came from a wood or coal fireplace and power came from a horse or waterwheel. Light came from a candle or oil lamp.

During my lifetime I have seen us go from the horse and buggy, to widespread train use, the automobile transition from a novelty to a useful form of transportation, seen man take to the skys in airplanes and now we have landed on the moon. We now have central heating and bathrooms in the house. Light and power now comes from a socket on the wall.

All within my lifetime"

It must have been a very profound moment for him. In my lifetime I have seen technology progress at an incredible rate but nothing so life changing as compared with what my uncle must have experienced.

Bill

Last edited by convert2diesel on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 am

you were going to say what?
.This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Qb06p3
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:09 pm

I remember using the computer of the day called a slide rule. Most kids today would not even recognize what it is, let alone how to use it. We did not have calculators, let alone computers. In 1988 I got a cellphone, it cost $700, and service was about $29.99 per month...you got 60 minutes of air time, and any overage was $.60 per minute.

My first car had points in the distributor, and points in the voltage regulator (when the voltage got too high, the points opened and disconnected the GENERATOR which had to be polarized when installed).
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:58 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

See if that works. Took the italics out.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I remember using the computer of the day called a slide rule. Most kids today would not even recognize what it is, let alone how to use it. We did not have calculators, let alone computers. In 1988 I got a cellphone, it cost $700, and service was about $29.99 per month...you got 60 minutes of air time, and any overage was $.60 per minute.

My first car had points in the distributor, and points in the voltage regulator (when the voltage got too high, the points opened and disconnected the GENERATOR which had to be polarized when installed).

Picket or Post? Mine was a P4 Picket but think the Post was most popular. But there were calculators it is just that they were limited on what they could do (our HS had one that was demonstrated to us) and cost over $6000 which was a lot of money in the 60's

I got my 1st cell in 86 (1st day available here) it was an in car GE G-Star which with two vehicle mounts was $1600 and air time charge of $1.00 a minute. But was a huge improvement over the IMTS phones we had that was only $50 a month with unlimited talk time but were not private at all and had a more limited range.

I also remember taking a TV to school to watch the 1st space launch (and quite a few others) so our whole class could watch in our room rather than the auditorium.

And I'm sure everyone like to remember and talk about the cheap fuel prices from the 60's. The lowest I remember paying was 27.9 for premium during the gas wars but was usually in the 33.9~35.9 and fuel oil was $0.15. But honestly gas at $3.50~$4.00 isn't that much higher than a lot of other things now considering the amount of tax per gallon.

I also remember the moon walk, what I was doing when JFK was shot and Martian Luther King (the same day my sister was born)

But the day I remember most was July 1 1970 my 19th birthday and also the day I got my draft number which was 104 and got called on May 20th 71.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 8:23 pm

I do not remember what kind of slide rule it was.

I watched the moon walk when I was stationed in Okinawa. My draft number was 35, so I enlisted in the Air Force.

In 1964 my father bought a new Jaguar XKE for about $5400. It would go 170 mph. My brother and I drove to Florida in 1972 in a 63 Dodge Dart...We threatened it with abandonment if it broke down. It turned over 100000 near Miami on our way back...that means it showed 00000 on the odometer, so we figured we had a new car. The car made it home and lasted for years after the trip.

The first TV I we had stood almost as tall as a 3 year old (I was the three year old), and had a screen about 8 inches in diameter (my guess). My father built it from a kit, and I watched my grandmother waving in the window on the Today Show. The Today Show began the same year I was born (I do not remember that). We got our first window air conditioner about 1956-7, and first transistor radio about the same time.

Photo sensitive lenses for glasses (self darkening glass not plastic) were new in 1964, and I had a pair of them (prescription).

When you did a back yard barbeque, the only two choices were wood and charcoal.

My brother nailed the parts from a metal wheel skate to a board and we had a "skateboard" about 1965. It did not have quite the handeling charastics as todays high tech ones.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm

convert2diesel wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

See if that works. Took the italics out.

Bill
um ,. er,. well,.
ah,. it was just a joke,. i pulled that page off the internet somewhere,. cause i thought it might be funny in this particular thread,.

Thanks for,. er,. fixing? it?

was it broke?

nick
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 8:28 pm

I used an Apple IIe at school to play Oregon Trail. Does that count? Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm

I freakin' LOVE Oregon Trail!

I actually downloaded the latest version for my PC and play it occasionally. It's epic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!   This made me chuckle...... so true!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This made me chuckle...... so true!!!!
Page 1 of 1