GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Belt Line Trim Removal Advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Belt Line Trim Removal Advice Empty
PostSubject: Belt Line Trim Removal Advice   Belt Line Trim Removal Advice Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 10:30 pm

I have a 94 Roadmaster Wagon and I am in the process of removing the belt line trim from the car so I can peel the woodgrain off. When removing the front door trim, I noticed that the clips or mounts are different and I am not sure how to remove them. I want to re-install the trim later so I do not want to damage the clips or the car in the process. Has anyone removed these? How do you remove these?

Belt Line Trim Removal Advice Dsc00612
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Belt Line Trim Removal Advice   Belt Line Trim Removal Advice Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 4:33 pm

ok 2 ways you can do this:

1) use a small screw and screw it into the black plastic rivet center. The screw is only to grab the plastic rivet, then pull on it.
OR
2) take the door panel off and pop the center of the plastic rivert outward.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Belt Line Trim Removal Advice   Belt Line Trim Removal Advice Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 10:46 pm

They are held firmly to the door, so they will not fall off. If you want it to look "better" while the trim is off, then remove them. If you are going to reinstall the trim without painting, you could leave them there.
Back to top Go down
Studebricker

Studebricker

PostSubject: Re: Belt Line Trim Removal Advice   Belt Line Trim Removal Advice Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 10:35 am

Okay, found this thread, which is exactly the issue I am having. I pulled one of the black plugs out a bit and then found I was able to coax the top of the white clip off the black plug, so it's out of the way when I start up with my heat gun, removing the old wood.

Only problem is now that black plug is sort of loose in the hole. I read the answers to the original question above, but it looks to me that however you pull the black plugs out, you will need to pull the door panel off inside to get them back on.

If I am missing something please explain. I don't WANT to pull the door panels if I don't have to, because it's just another time consuming step, but I am not seeing how, once I get all the black plugs out, that I am supposed to get them reattached from just the outside of the car.

Please if anyone has already gone through this, let me know what the trick is and I would be most appreciative...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Belt Line Trim Removal Advice   Belt Line Trim Removal Advice Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 10:30 pm

The tapered pins were probably "pop rivets" and will have to be wedged tightly into place from the back side of the door skin. Plan on taking the door panels off. There is no such thing as time consuming when it is the only way to do it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belt Line Trim Removal Advice   Belt Line Trim Removal Advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belt Line Trim Removal Advice
Page 1 of 1