GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Buick belt removal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Buick belt removal Empty
PostSubject: Buick belt removal   Buick belt removal Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 12:57 pm

JUST got back from a discussion with another wagon owner..... that had a Chevy with 2 Buick doors (accident). He wanted to repaint but the shop told him that the "knobbies" had to be removed and welded.... costing as much as the paint job! Anyway, he wondered why he couldn't just grind them off and fibergalss the panels and then paint. I didn't know as all I have ever heard was to grind and weld.

Soooo.....

1.) Are the pegs welded from inside the doors?
2.) Why CAN"T he glass the holes shut?
3.) Is bondo really that bad?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Buick belt removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buick belt removal   Buick belt removal Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 1:08 pm

The "pegs" do have to be ground off the door. I don't see why you'd have to do any welding afterward though unless you grind too much.

Grind 'em off then may be a touch of filler to smooth out the metal but even that may not be necessary if you're careful with the grinder.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
phantom 309

phantom 309

Buick belt removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buick belt removal   Buick belt removal Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 1:46 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
The "pegs" do have to be ground off the door. I don't see why you'd have to do any welding afterward though unless you grind too much.

Grind 'em off then may be a touch of filler to smooth out the metal but even that may not be necessary if you're careful with the grinder.
X2 btdt,.
body shop is wanting to make money,.they are likely flat rating the job,. take the car somewhere else,.
JMHO,.
Nick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Buick belt removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buick belt removal   Buick belt removal Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 8:59 pm

I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel like a mini grinder. Barely nicked the panel. A little dab of putty and paint. The holes are best if they are welded. I tried filler and it left a mark on the door where the hole was. The holes do not have a taper to them, so the filler can't be feathered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Buick belt removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buick belt removal   Buick belt removal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buick belt removal
Page 1 of 1