GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

High output handrail - progress pic!

Go down 
+10
BigBlackBeaSSt
81X11
Krzdimond
Fred Kiehl
95BRMW
DBeaSSt
lakeffect
a1awind
200OZ
Bewber
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Bewber

Bewber

High output handrail - progress pic! Empty
PostSubject: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 12:53 am

I think I'd mentioned it a long time ago, but I've been working on building a custom handrail for the front of our house. It's only a couple steps up, but some of our company is getting older and less stable, and it's been long overdue. Well today was a good day for making progress, and I'm happy with it so far since it's turning out how I rehearsed - so I took a pic to share.

High output handrail - progress pic! 232323232%7Ffp53976%3Enu%3D3388%3E8%3C3%3E959%3EWSNRCG%3D338747%3A%3B43347nu0mrj

1. I left the poles long so that I could trim them to fit. I'm thinking that they'll be trimmed at the same angle as the handrail, then covered and connected with a chrome or polished valve cover from an inline 6. Said valve cover may also receive a lick or two of fire on it's way there, but we'll see.

2. Yes, I know I need to clean up that corner of the porch. It was a quick place to toss some stuff out of my wagon so that I could haul laundry the other morning.

Anyway - there's my "Hi-Output Handrail" and even more uneeded proof that I married the most tolerant woman on earth.

Peace,
John
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 1:02 am

Sweet John, and yes, you married a good one, but the cam lobes don't look to Hi-Output to me.
Yeah, the chrome valve cover would finish it right off. Maybe etched flames.

Mike

PS: should have used floating wrist pins.
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 4:26 am

Bewber wrote:

2. Yes, I know I need to clean up that corner of the porch. It was a quick place to toss some stuff out of my wagon so that I could haul laundry the other morning.

hmm should i bring up my f150 rather than my wagon next week?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 6:59 am

What are the specs on the cam.

How do we really know it's high output?

Could be from an old 60's Ford 289!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:03 am

Nice work John!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:04 am

I still think this is incredibly badass.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:20 am

Love it John!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:30 am

I want to see someone slide down that rail.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 am

The cam is just a bone stock aftermarket CHEVY 350 cam, but it was brand new in the box when I took it to the powdercoater. I believe the pistons and conrods are from a 1961 327 CHEVY. One things is for sure though - there are ZERO Ford parts on my house!

Mike OZ - Not sure what you mean on the wristpins, but I assume it'd be so that the whole assembly could move up and down a little rotating at the wristpin? I thought about that, but it wasn't possible to assemble it that way and I didn't want the weight of the assembly to live at rest against the piston skirts - so I just made it all rigid.

Ian - I'm not getting why you'd bring the truck.

Fred - I'm one step ahead of you. I made it CRYSTAL clear to the kids that it was a HANDRAIL, and NOT a swing, or part of a jungle gym - and that they better NEVER be caught hanging from it, swinging on it, sliding down it, or even touching it with any body part that's not called a hand.

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 11:46 am

John that is 1 of your best ideas ever and yes you have a remarkably patient wife.You need
to send a picture of that to Hot Rod magazine and Popular Mechanics and see if they might
put it their magazines.
JG
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Bewber wrote:
there are ZERO Ford parts on my house!

Semantics! What a difference a single letter can make.... In/ On Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 12:57 pm

My wife says no..... Evil or Very Mad .....
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 2:20 pm

cool!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Mike: do it anyway.

You know what they say: It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I want to see someone slide down that rail.

Someone with hemorrhoids!

It's badass John.

Agreed that you have the most tolerant woman in the world! Also send us a picture of your wife, so the rest of us will know what a Saint looks like.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks again guys.

For those who haven't seen or met my fair maiden, here's a quick pic of us earlier this year. Sorry I didn't have time to crop myself out of it for yous.

High output handrail - progress pic! Fma10

Jim, The handrail isn't really that big of a deal or a surprise if you know about my bathroom. Do a youtube search for "hot rod bathroom" and check it out.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Nice picture of you guys!!! Tell you better half we missed her at WF.

Jim - YOU NEED TO SEE HIS BATHROOM!!!!!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 10:25 pm

That is a sweet idea!! Looks great!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Bathroom pics?

What? lol
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 9:22 am

It's on the wtf.GMlongroofbathroomforum/uberbewber.com
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 5:10 pm

That's the one. Thanks Tim!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Nice hand rail John.....(thinking of putting a few odd ford parts here and there in/on your house withou you knowing next week)
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Pat,

Put a huge blue ellipse on his front door...... Wink
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 10:01 pm

a nice 12ft blue oval on the roof,. with the F***d sign lit up nice for christmas,.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 10:08 pm

.. and the only reason Nick stopped at 12ft, is that it would still fit under most overpasses and bridges in those small towns on the way there. As a professional driver, he would be aware of these things!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 10:20 pm

12 ft it still fit in the wagon too Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High output handrail - progress pic!   High output handrail - progress pic! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High output handrail - progress pic!
Page 1 of 1