GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Smoked Lenses and Light Output

Go down 
+2
YachtDriver
Bull
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

Smoked Lenses and Light Output Empty
PostSubject: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 4:35 pm

If this topic is better suited to another sub-forum, please move it at your discretion.

I want to upgrade the look of my car by adding a set of aftermarket headlights. I haven't committed to a set yet, but I know there are "smoked" options that seem to be popular.

My question for people who are or have run them is whether/how much they reduce the headlight output? This is definitely a concern. I plan to add one of those custom harnesses from Gary (?) with the relays to increase output since I absolutely cannot stand how pathetic my lights are and how much driving at night sucks because of it.

Thanks for any input.
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 4:47 pm

I ran them for a little while. I can say that the output is diminished. However the light pattern is better.
I ran silverstars and it was back to ok. I changed to a clear set of lights and the light output is much better.

Gary's harness and silverstars is the best combo I have used so far. I am currently running his kit in my LAB daily driver with stock headlights and silverstars. The light output is ok. I may just switch to a set of clear lenses in the future. Not 100% sure what I want to do yet. I will say that after having the relay kit the light output is improved. I just cannot quantify how much it is actually improved by.

I may try the 9007 mod for even brighter output. Not 100% sure about this though.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 5:08 pm

I had thought, based on some things I read on the Impala board, that the headlight harness provided a "shah-zam!" type of improvement, but it sounds like your gains were more modest?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 5:15 pm

I plan on trying the 9007 mod sometime next week. Just need a day off to go to the yard and get some bulbs. Not going to shell out for new ones quite yet...
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 10:02 am

i did the 9007 mod about two months ago. light output is soooo much better now, i cant believe the difference and my headlights could still use a better alignment. i would definitely recommend doing that mod, cheap, easy and makes a hell of a difference over the OEM bulbs for these cars.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 10:14 am

If I use the search function and type "9007" I get no results for threads or posts. Is there a how-to for this mod to show me what it is and how to do it?
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 10:28 am

Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 1:03 pm

The clear housings, with casper shields, using high/low HIDs. Properly aimed. I've never been flashed, or pulled over, and have used HIDs for three years. I know there are plenty of HID haters, but if you are looking for better lighting, this is the way to go.

Smoked Lenses and Light Output HPIM3743
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 9:39 pm

I run the smoked lenses with 6K HID's and have excellent light output and have never been flashed. 30 bucks for good HID's on eBay now! How can you go wrong?

I also ran those lights with Silverstars and an upgraded harness. Output was horrible. If you're not going to run HID's, DO NOT get the tinted lenses.
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Here are a couple pics of mine I took while trying to get aimed at wallyworld. I use 4300k HID's and have for the last 2.5 years. I had a ebay setup until recently when a ballast died and I got a better setup from the retrofit source which has a much better light pattern.

Smoked Lenses and Light Output HID-Low

Smoked Lenses and Light Output HID-High
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smoked Lenses and Light Output   Smoked Lenses and Light Output Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smoked Lenses and Light Output
Page 1 of 1