GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?

Go down 
+5
Cadet57
1993 Roady-man
BigBlackBeaSSt
toomanytoyz
brokecello
9 posters
AuthorMessage
brokecello
brokecello

Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Empty
PostSubject: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 8:28 am

Just got this month's mag...and I see two wagons in a group shot waaay in the corner. cheers RMW and a Caprice wagon. Want to do it someday myself!

Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  IMG_0287
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:48 am

Its on my Bucket list!
Jim
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Someday...
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 am

I had to work when it came through Harrisburg a few years back......... Mad
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 10:26 pm

That is on my Bucket list as well.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 9:15 am

Hot Rod Power Tour? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
OldGuy

OldGuy

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 6:32 pm

I was there, 94 caprice with surf board on the roof. Third year we have done it, it's a blast. Pulled a teardrop trailer this year, made some folks mad by passing them. haha

Roger
Back to top Go down
68GS400

68GS400

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 8:59 pm

4th Long Haul for me plus two partials. 1st in 99 CV; rest in '68 GS 400 Buick convertible. white with black top and interior If you look at centerfold picture mine is near center: back row of 4th group row at crease behind a black Camaro with silver stripes.
3000 miles with 3000 of closest friends is pretty good description of the week. Building the 89 Buick longroof for this purpose. Grandson doesn't like riding in windy back seat and the wagon fits the bill well. He received his first HRPT Tee shirt this year and said 'I will go with you next year, PaPa"
Hot Rod sponsors a week long road trip. This year we started at Kennedy Space Center (and got to drive our own cars thru the center!) next to Valdosta GA for drag racing. Then to Montgomery, AL for more racing.
Tuesday night we were in Nashville TN at the Titan football stadium parking lot. Wednesday: Indy at the Speedway (and got to drive a lap there!) After a rainy drive thru Kokomo and northern Indiana, we ended up at Muskegon, MI where the city opened it's downtown for us: a 3500 car car show! Drove to Detroit the next day in heavy rain but venue on lake was nice.
Saturday morning found us at GM Proving Ground: the picture is of the "Black Lake": 67 acres of FLAT asphalt where skid prevention is studied. As we departed they provided a tour of the proving grounds. Only rule: Keep 2 car lenghts behind the car in front. Mile long straightway U turn then second mile long. Well, SS396 in front was slow, so I slowed on second mile for 1/8 mile then punched it . 110 is neat in 42 year old car! High banked turns, ovals, circles, etc...
What an experience to drive the track where our cars were developed!!!!
Back to top Go down
68GS400

68GS400

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 pm

Usually a dozen long roofs participate somewhere in tour. Interesting one in 2007: 60 Chevy Brookwood, rusty, ice chest and suitcases strapped to luggage rack. Several RMW or Caprice wagons: probably due to LT engines. Most cars are pretty distinctive. The GM long roofs have good styling and simple black windows and wheel change make them look good. Most have dual exhausts which are readily available, so they sound good too!
Mine will be rare model (and my co-pilot daughter doesn't like wood paneling.) Gotta figure out repair or removal of the wood. Saw two other boxey wagons on tour this year, one with wood Caprice the other with out, also Caprice.
Back to top Go down
68GS400

68GS400

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Some great YouTube videos of GM Proving grounds: Best one is on(what I believe is) a Corvette. Clipped camera on roof behind drivers window. 22 minutes of entertainment! I know he passed 5 cars on that straightaway!
Do search for Hot Rod Power Tour GM Proving Grounds.
Back to top Go down
68GS400

68GS400

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckNHQFI8sOk Watch the RMW go thru AutoCross - my goal: I want to go thru flat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrBw9bamjJ0 this is show from (I think) Corvette. Now I don't agree with the driver's antics: Passing others, cutting in, etc. but it does give you entire proving grounds trip. They were very specific: leave two car lengths between cars and his actions jeaprodize future things like this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhrfjIh5ACU&feature=fvsr - now this is my goal!!!!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Yeah, just saw this video (look at 1:40 ) That RMW is rolling like a drunk! I bet he still has the air shocks on the back!! Bet he was smiling though Smile

Chris

http://www.hotrod.com/multimedia/02/hot_rod_videos/#ooid=hia3NuMjpkL4eTlyJ8eVEzUm2Fgffde2
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
gwturbo

gwturbo

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Went to the first leg of this event at Kennedy Space Center. There were several wagons there. I would like to make the long haul someday.
Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Photo2
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 8:48 am

It is on my bucket list!!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
It is on my bucket list!!

Mine too,. just never going to be financially feasible, and with the obligations at home etc,.so another hour or so spent living vicariously thru utoob vids,.

Just read the 2012 itenerary,. man would i love that,. michigan to texas,. *sigh* mebbe i could go in a nice lq4 powered wagon,..

Nick
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 12:00 pm

Saturday June 2, 2012 - Detroit, Michigan
Sunday June 3, 2012 - Muskegon, Michigan
Monday June 4, 2012 - venue is yet to be announced
Tuesday June 5, 2012 - venue is yet to be announced
Wednesday June 6, 2012 - venue is yet to be announced
Thursday June 7, 2012 - venue is yet to be announced
Friday June 8, 2012 - Arlington, Texas
Saturday June 9, 2012 - Long Haul Photo and awards

Sad Sadly it looks like another year before I might be able to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?    Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any of you guys do the HotRod Power Tour?
Page 1 of 1