GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Light Lense Woes--How to address

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ChevyChugg

Light Lense Woes--How to address Empty
PostSubject: Light Lense Woes--How to address   Light Lense Woes--How to address Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:01 pm

My taillight lenses are both cloudy on the outside. I tried cleaning them with several different cleaners and they looked better for about 15 seconds, and then the cloudiness came right back. Anyone have any idea what causes this and how I can fix it? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Light Lense Woes--How to address   Light Lense Woes--How to address Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 pm

Sounds like the outside of the plastic is scuffed up. Lots of little tiny scratches and stuff. I know some on here have done it and can give you steps but basically you need to buff (probably wet sand) and polish the plastic to get it back to it's former state.

Doable with some elbow grease. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Light Lense Woes--How to address   Light Lense Woes--How to address Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Dave, I wet sand with some 800/1000/1500 grit sandpaper. Make sure it is real smooth all over and then I spray 2 coats of spray can clear on them. (non yellowing stuff) If the scratches are real bad..you might have to start with 600 grit and work up. Just depends.

The key is to be sure you sand it all evenly and clean the lense well before you spray (I use lacquer thinner)

Sometimes you can just wet sand and polish...but I have seen some lenses that are too damaged and will not hold an even shine. (does that make sense?)

That is my method, but I know others here will have some good tips too!

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Light Lense Woes--How to address   Light Lense Woes--How to address Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Dave, I've got a beautiful set of lenses here if you want them. No cloudy or yellow, and very few scratches. I continue to be amazed how beautiful the headlights are on many of the B-bodies in the local junkyard here in syracuse. Send me a PM if you're interested in a set; they're around $40 + shipping for the pair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Light Lense Woes--How to address   Light Lense Woes--How to address Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Light Lense Woes--How to address
Page 1 of 1