GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tailgate woes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
94X2

94X2

tailgate woes Empty
PostSubject: tailgate woes   tailgate woes Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm stuck and need help. yesterday the tailgate on my 95 would only lay down - would not swing open. Today it has decided do do opposite - it now swings open but won't lay down. The big problem is that the tailgate ajar light won't go out now. Any ideas are appreciated!
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

tailgate woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailgate woes   tailgate woes Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 1:18 pm

This is a fairly typical probem with these cars. To correct it temporarily, your going to have to use some "English" when you close the gate. There is a bunch of levers and rods that have to fall into place in order for one or the other function to operate. As these age it takes more and more force to get them to drop into place.

Your going to have to take the cover panels off the gate and get in there with some PB Blaster (or equivalent) and really go after all the latches (two on the top and one on the passenger side bottom). Clean and lubricate all mechanisms and all the rods that attach to them. A special note. The actuator rods run through some plastic clips on the sheet metal. It is common for these rods to slip out of these clips, causing the same kind of problems.

Welcome to the tailgate club tailgate woes Affraid .

Bill
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

tailgate woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailgate woes   tailgate woes Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks. i have been fighting this one all morning. I sprayed all the linkage and just can't figure out whats binding. I know problems don't fix themselves but since this one changed overnite I think I'll put it back together and see what happens tomorrow. if I can get it soon enough I'll post pictures. Just got this one yesterday - a 95 Limited.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

tailgate woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailgate woes   tailgate woes Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:35 pm

My Caprice started to do this last night. Since I have bought it, I have to do the "Super Slam" when it swings open to get the gate light to go off. Yesterday, the "drop" latch wouldn't really work, so when I tried the "swing" latch, the gate wanted to do both at once! I have it closed now, but I need to sort this out before winter.

I'm going to have to get Diesel Bill to perform some gate magic on it...
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

tailgate woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailgate woes   tailgate woes Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 10:53 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
My Caprice started to do this last night. Since I have bought it, I have to do the "Super Slam" when it swings open to get the gate light to go off. Yesterday, the "drop" latch wouldn't really work, so when I tried the "swing" latch, the gate wanted to do both at once! I have it closed now, but I need to sort this out before winter.

I'm going to have to get Diesel Bill to perform some gate magic on it...

Its going to cost you some electronic engine gauge circuit design time tailgate woes Icon_bounce . Have articulated fingers...will travel.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

tailgate woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailgate woes   tailgate woes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tailgate woes
Page 1 of 1