GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Please don't ever make me drive one...

Go down 
+5
convert2diesel
brokecello
buickestate
rematar
stockfornow
9 posters
AuthorMessage
stockfornow

stockfornow

Please don't ever make me drive one... Empty
PostSubject: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:00 pm

Please don't ever make me drive one... Smartv10
Back to top Go down
rematar

rematar

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:19 pm

I hope you're only referring to an unmodified one.
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:33 pm

I would never drive one...unless of course it had a bike motor..... Wink
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:34 pm

Oh snap the cops set up a road block!

Please don't ever make me drive one... Large_jersey-city-police-department

Please don't ever make me drive one... Sanfrancrushedcar
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Hey honey, hold my beer and watch me blow by this Smart car in the wagon!!!

Please don't ever make me drive one... Smart_450x359
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Actually I have driven a couple. First time in the first one brought into Canada (friend of mine writes for Car and Driver) and then my lawyer bought one.

Two big guys (and I mean big) can sit in it without touching shoulders and with lots of leg room, tap up tap down semi-automoatic tranny, reasonable accleleration (think 4 cyl Chevette) all the bells and whistles like AC, good stereo etc. and it is capable of sustaining freeway speeds (70MPH). For someone who puts on a lot of miles in and around a major city, getting 80 MPG on diesel goes along way to temper the fact that you are driving something that looks like this. The first one was driven from Montreal to Ottawa (120 miles), spent four days running around town and then out to the campsite about 50 miles south of Ottawa: all on six bucks of fuel cheers While I certainly wouldn't want to be in one in a crash, it did fair reasonably well in crash testing in Britain:

On the down side it is:

1. Very ugly to the point the girls call it cute.
2. Corners like your mothers china cabinet though they say it has live suspension (no evidence of same in the two I drove)
3. Very ugly
4. After shoehorning two people into it you might get a bag of groceries into the back...maybe
5. Very ugly
6. Semi-automatic is tempermental regardless if you shift it yourself or let the computer do it for you.
7. Only holds 5 gal. of fuel (mind you that will take you 400 miles)
8. Controls are typically European and for the most part confusing. Try to turn on the AC and you end up opening the sunroof (yes it had one).
9. Did I mention it was very ugly?
10. Cross winds over 15 MPH (or traffic buffet) make driving interesting.
11. Haven't tried it but driving in ice and snow would be a challenge.

On the plus side, maintenance is dirt simple. Four body mount bolts, some quick dis-connects and the entire powertrain drops out of the rear of the car. Two guys can lift the body off the rear sub frame without even breaking a sweat. Total time out is 20 minutes and about 25 minutes back in. Don't even need a floor jack if your small enough to get under the back of the car. Even if your not, you could probably bench press it up onto a set of jack stands.

Bill
Back to top Go down
rematar

rematar

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:46 pm

brokecello wrote:
.Hey honey, hold my beer and watch me blow by this Smart car in the wagon!!!
Please don't ever make me drive one... YelcutelaughAPlease don't ever make me drive one... YelcutelaughA
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 9:45 pm

meh, I wouldn't drive one period.
Back to top Go down
Stretch

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Makes a good spare tire? loads onto roof rack of the wagon?

I'm not against them... they have their place, but don't EVER hit a wagon with it!

I have two in our neighborhood, both ladies driving them wear parkas in the winter as they have poor heaters.

Stretch
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 2:13 pm

Spare tire? Makes a good anchor. Keep it in the back of the wagon. If your brakes fail, just tie it to the bumper and throw it out the back. Razz

Stretch wrote:
Makes a good spare tire? loads onto roof rack of the wagon?
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:32 am

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 3:47 pm

buickestate wrote:

Are the tree huggers visiting Dave's farm?? I am confused!!!!???? So many societal oxymoron s racing through my mind!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please don't ever make me drive one...   Please don't ever make me drive one... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please don't ever make me drive one...
Page 1 of 1