GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Empty
PostSubject: axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!   axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 am

Replaced the yoke and seal as per Brokecello's post, and now it leaks MORE than it did before. If I tighten the pinion pinch nut another 1/2 turn, will this solve the problem, or will it just put a higher load on the bearing?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!   axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 9:51 am

higher bearing pre-load,. when you installed the new one did you check to see if the yoke was smooth,. or did it have a small groove worn in it? something that you can feel with your fingernail? you can buy a speedy sleeve for yokes too,.
also make sure the vent is clear,. if it can't vent it build pressure as it gets hot forcing oil past the seals, which ever is loosest of the three,.
speedy sleeve

Nick
assuming you got the new seal in straight with no bends in it, and we're not heading into a stingaroo thread,. Wink
oops,. did i say that out loud? not allowed to bust balls anymore,.sorry!

Last edited by phantom 309 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!   axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 9:56 am

the old yoke did have a "wear ring" around it, but it was smooth. I replaced with a new yoke and seal so I thought it was all good....

I will double check the vent..... Hadn't even thought of that..... Thanks.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!   axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 9:59 am

Krzdimond wrote:
the old yoke did have a "wear ring" around it, but it was smooth. I replaced with a new yoke and seal so I thought it was all good....

I will double check the vent..... Hadn't even thought of that..... Thanks.

what was wrong with the old yoke??
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!   axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 am

it was leaking through the seal and I did not want to take a chance on a warn yoke and do the job twice, so I bought the complete kit to do the R&R once....... or so I thought Embarassed
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!   axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 8:03 pm

any update on this ?

I just had the updated yoke kit installed. The shop didn't have an in-lb non-clicker torque wrench so they used the "counting the threads" method.
The car now has a grinding noise on deceleration. I think it might still be leaking as well.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!   axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 8:12 pm

jasonlachapelle wrote:
any update on this ?

I just had the updated yoke kit installed. The shop didn't have an in-lb non-clicker torque wrench so they used the "counting the threads" method.
The car now has a grinding noise on deceleration. I think it might still be leaking as well.

not tight enough too much back lash,.tighten it down good, did you put in a new crush sleeve?

Nick
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!   axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 8:57 pm

We re-used the crush sleeve
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!   axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Mine still leaks. I add fluid every week or so...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!   axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

axle drive pinion seal leaking...... again!
Page 1 of 1