GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear hatch glass seal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Deadmanonduty

Rear hatch glass seal Empty
PostSubject: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:54 pm

My rear hatch glass on my 95 Caprice Wagon is leaking water when in car wash (direct spray only), so I'm sure it is also leaking some air, etc. The leak is on both lower corners of the glass, and the weather seal is mashed down really flat in that area on my car. Can I replace that seal? The glass is even kinda loose, because the gasket is so compressed. I know the tailgate was damaged and repaired, so I think the accident had something to do with the weather seal being flattened.

Any suggestions where to look for a seal? How hard is it to replace?

Thanks in advance!

(Btw, its not leaking water from the notorious other areas, so please be assured I looked there first Smile )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Have you tryed realigning the glass to help it seal better?If the weather seal has hardened up,
can you apply some rubber seal softener or even try a generic piece from the "Soft Seal"
company?Dont even know if a new gasket is still available from GM!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:42 pm

I saw your post on ISSF and answered it there. Check in the parts for sale section here. The only adjustments are the body side of the hinges, and the latch. Adjusting the hinges would not change the alignment of the lower corners of the glass. If the seal is already flattened, adjusting the latch will probably not stop the leak. You can only compress the seal to a certain point. Your description is indicitive of the seal as the culprit.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:06 am

I have a 96 RMW that I can steal it from. I'll look and see what its condition is. I just figured a new one would be the answer if it were cheap and available.

My RMW lived in WI, so the seal might not be fried too bad from the heat.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 9:09 am

The service manual shows that you can move the latch, and that adjusts the tension on the rear glass..........anyone ever try this adjustment?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 3:29 pm

When the gasket is squashed, it would only put stress on the glass. I would rather replace the gasket, and get the benefit of the seal, without added stress on the glass.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 10:47 am

I 100% agree. My hatch glass is actually loose tho. When I hit bumps, I can hear it squeek and rattle. I think its loose from the previous owner repairing the damaged tailgate.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 10:49 am

Looking at the gate latch and the service manual, I just don't see an adjustment on that latch that would snug it up any........ Any of you guys understand the mechanics of that latch better than I do?

Thanks again for all the info and ideas!

I read that a different guy ran a fuel hose thru his gasket to puss it back up and make a better seal. Sounds interresting!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 am

fuel hose is too tough use winshield washer hose, much more plyable/give to it.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 11:13 am

sounds like a great idea. I'll have to find some and give it a try!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 4:48 pm

How about injecting some nonhardening silicone into the compressed areas of the gasket?
Jim
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm afraid if I do that it could create hi spots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch glass seal   Rear hatch glass seal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear hatch glass seal
Page 1 of 1