GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.

Go down 
+3
Fred Kiehl
81X11
Sprocket
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Empty
PostSubject: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 9:29 am

So I found something interesting out on Friday. Smile
I went back to a junkyard I had been to with Mark96Roady a few weeks ago in Orlando area (had to go up there for work).
Nice 96 AGW with lots of good parts.

Anyhoo, the keys were there and I opened the rear glass manually. Someone had taken the gas struts and I needed the window to stay open.
While I was holding it, I looked around for something to prop it up. I found a piece of scrap that looked about right, but it was just a little too long (like 1/8 of and inch, so I pushed up just a little more on the glass to get to maximum open and insert my prop.

So apparently when you push on the glass (by the handle in the middle, this puts a LARGE amount of stress at the hinges, and BOOSH I got a free shower of tempered glass. I called Roo up and asked him what he was doing when his 'exploded' a couple years back. Bad struts holding the window up....

Knowing how tempered glass works, this 'exploding rear glass mystery' now makes total sense to me...

Be careful out there fellas, finite number of these puppies left.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 10:14 am

Good to know John,thanks.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:39 pm

YIKES!! I had a door glass on one of my Chevy Citations do that once when I was replacing weatherstripping... They go off like a bomb and shatter into a million tiny pieces, and continue to crackle on the ground for a few seconds afterward. Scary stuff!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Yes.

Yes they do, Mike....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:46 pm

I replied to his on the ISSF. Mine left about a 15 foot circle around the car. Any stress on the glass beyond the natural hinge stop can cause it to shatter. The holes for the hinge bolts are a great place for stress cracks to start.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 4:01 pm

I got a few spares
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 11:05 pm

Once a window breaks on your car, you will NEVER get all the chunks out of it. It's fun cleaning out a car and finding that one piece that says it's had a window broken  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 11:31 pm

Back around '83, I was writing a damage repair estimate on the rear end of a '82 Camaro. Unbeknownst to me, the rear hit had somehow shifted the upper body structure where the glass hatch hinges were. I was trying to get the hatch open to examine the floor, when BAM!. Glass imploded.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 1:07 am

95BRMW wrote:
Once a window breaks on your car, you will NEVER get all the chunks out of it.  It's fun cleaning out a car and finding that one piece that says it's had a window broken  Very Happy 

Can confirm this, too.... lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 9:30 am

Going to be very very CAREFUL from now on whenever I open/close that window!

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 9:31 am

Krash Kadillak wrote:
Back around '83, I was writing a damage repair estimate on the rear end of a '82 Camaro. Unbeknownst to me, the rear hit had somehow shifted the upper body structure where the glass hatch hinges were. I was trying to get the hatch open to examine the floor, when BAM!. Glass imploded.

YIKES that's a HUGE window. Bet that woke you up!
Back to top Go down
Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 3:05 am

81X11 wrote:
Krash Kadillak wrote:

YIKES that's a HUGE window.   Bet that woke you up!

I practically jumped out of my shoes. First thought was somebody was shooting at me!
Back to top Go down
rockguy

rockguy

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 8:02 am

well after hearing this im taking a trip back to my pick n pull to get a rear glass of the wagon i nsaw there earlier this week. im gonna stash it in my garage incase i ever break the window by accident. whats the best way to store it you guys think? im thinking bubble wrap, lots of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.   How to break your rear hatch glass without trying. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to break your rear hatch glass without trying.
Page 1 of 1