GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Timing cover gasket

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Timing cover gasket Empty
PostSubject: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:39 am

Checked with the stealership for the intake and timing cover gaskets........ affraid affraid affraid

$120 for the gaskets, as they only sell them individually Evil or Very Mad

Autozone has the intake set for $20: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and the timing cover set for $13: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Question is, the timing cover set has a note that says that I NEED to replace the oil pan gasket also. Is this true? Or can I get away with not messing with the oil pan?
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Robert....I can check tonight to be certain...but I am pretty sure you can just do the timing cover without replacing the oil pan gasket.

Just remember the sharpee lid trick for the opti drive seal. I messed one up the 1st time. Oh..and really follow the torque settings for the timing cover bolts. They will snap easily if overtightened *cough* silent

Last edited by brokecello on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm guessing a cam swap on this one?

I've never seen an LT1 timing cover gasket leak to the point of needing to be replaced.

Either way:

You will need to drop the pan to remove the timing cover.

But unless there is a reason to replace the pan gasket, you shouldn't have to buy a new one.

If so, clean both pan rails and block to pan junctions before beginning.

Next, loosen all of the oil pan bolts several turns and remove the first 3 or 4 on each side. The pan should drop onto the x-member by itself.

Using a small screwdriver, insert it into the cover gasket receiver groove and carefully pry/lift the pan gasket free of the timing cover.

Use care not to tear it, as it is fragile and can be ripped easily. Take your time - lifting the engine off the mounts to put a new pan gasket it won't be fun.

Reinstall it with Ultra-Black RTV at the corners and on both sides of the crescent. I first did mine with just a dot on the corners but had to go back in and reseal it before Wagonfest.

Lesson learned on that one...

HTH,

- J
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:30 pm

I have a seal (harmonic balancer) that is leaking pretty bad, had to add a quart of oil when I got to the fest, and another one today. Might as well replace them all as the whole damn thing needs to come apart just to fix a $12 part Mad

So, I can just loosen the oil pan, not remove it? GOOD!!! Will keep in mind of the "use-the-whole-tube-of-black-RTV-so-I-don't-have-to-do-it-again" trick Very Happy
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Gotcha...I did forget that the pan had to come down a bit in the front! Here are the pics from when I did my engine a few years ago.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Chris, what's that big blue honkin' thing under the cover? I think that is leaking too, if not, I bet it will after I replace it Embarassed
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:33 pm

That is the Timing Cover portion of the Oil Pan Gasket.

I like seeing the proper tool used for the Water Pump Drive Seal, not a fan of the pen cap version.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 5:35 pm

Rob, get the Fel-pro timing cover set at autozone. It has ALL seals and o-rings and it's like 17 bucks. They should stock it.

And if you can get the cover off without destroying the pan gasket, make sure you trim off the pointy "ears" on the inside of the cover rail before re-installation. Keep in mind though, if it's just the crank seal leaking, don't bother removing the timing cover. Just replace the seals! Smile
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 5:42 pm

doesn't the cover have to come off to remove the seals? Someone at the fest said that the seal mounts from behind the cover.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
doesn't the cover have to come off to remove the seals? Someone at the fest said that the seal mounts from behind the cover.

I'm fairly certain that I installed all mine from the front. Smile

Also fairly certain that I heard that on the internets before, too. Wink
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 6:52 pm

should be quick and easy to fix/check. remove the balancer, replace the seal, then check for leaks. If no more leaks, good! I won't have to remove the opti.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Krzdimond wrote:

Yeah, the seal goes in from the front. Just like the rear inner seals on the rotors....or rear seal in the transmission.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 7:38 pm

brokecello wrote:
Krzdimond wrote:

Yeah, the seal goes in from the front. Just like the rear inner seals on the rotors....or rear seal in the transmission.

lol!

Yup. In from the front. Just like the rears. Wink
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
brokecello wrote:
Krzdimond wrote:

lol!

Yup. In from the front. Just like the rears. Wink

Lol lol! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timing cover gasket   Timing cover gasket Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Timing cover gasket
Page 1 of 1