GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Empty
PostSubject: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 7:31 pm

So Dusty had been leaking oil from the oil adapter above the filter. I spoke to someone last week who said, "its's not that hard and the parts are $5". The $5 part was correct the other part not so much.....

Anyhoo, I got it all back together just after dark and it leaks worse than before......anyone know the proper torque for the allen screws?

I'm hoping if I get an allen socket I can snug them up some more.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 8:22 pm

No clue Captain Chaos...... Razz
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 8:25 pm

well Dustan on the other forum told me to go buy the Fel-Pro kit. I'm surprised my parts store didn't give me that one as they are a Fel-Pro retailer.....hmmm

Yeah, I'm not feeling this avatar for long...it's already wearing on me, lol
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 8:20 am

According to the FSM for a 92, the oil filter adapter bolt should be 18 lb. ft., but it does not say anything about the bolts being an allen head.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:29 pm

It's an LT1 and I'll be back under there this weekend as it's a quart down in 5 days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Kinda figured the SP on the locomotive stood for Sprocket.
Just A Guess
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Turns out I pinched the O-ring when I put it up...... Luckily It's fairly easy. Took the time to clean it all up even more today. and now NO LEAKS!
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 6:05 pm

I now believe the jealously theory extends to reading about other wagons. Although I'm sorry you had to go thru this repair I'm glad you did since I knew to watch the o-ring on mine today. So far so good. I also replaced the oil level sensor while I was under there. 2 leaks down and who knows how many to go Rolling Eyes

Jon
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 6:25 pm

What is that car in your avatar and how can I get one???
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:06 pm

It's a Buick Blackhawk concept car. You can find the picture online but the real thing might be a little tougher. If you figure out a way let me know Smile
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:27 pm

well I musta whacked one of the sensors, cuz the SES light is on and the gas mileage is in the toilet right now Sad

what a PITA. Yeah I like that concept car....
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 5:12 pm

Sprocket wrote:
well I musta whacked one of the sensors, cuz the SES light is on and the gas mileage is in the toilet right now Sad

what a PITA. Yeah I like that concept car....

Sounds like one of my repairs. I probably need to buy 2 of every part so I have them on hand for the second time around Embarassed

Have you checked the 02 wires on that side? I had a time getting the cooler lines loose with those in my way.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 11:59 am

My oil filter adapter is leaking. I was going to replace that gasket today. But everyone seems to think it's a major PITA.

One guy on a Corvette forum said that it was difficult, and he had his engine on a stand, upside down.

The leak's not all THAT bad. I think I'll put off doing it for when I have more time. Do you have any suggestions for making the job easier?
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong   oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

oil adapter gasket replace gone wrong
Page 1 of 1