GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MarkH

MarkH

Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over Empty
PostSubject: Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over   Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:15 am

I parked my Roady in the street infront of my house yesterday afternoon. Usually, it sits in the driveway under the protection of the trees. There was a light rain most of the day yesterday and then rained pretty heavy all night into this morning. I went to start it this morning and it wouldn't turn over.... it just gave me a miserable caugh/wheeze. Last time that happened, I thought for sure it was because my PCV Valve was clogged, (https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t4731-we-ve-got-smoke) which it was clogged solid. Surprised it ran at all... so I replaced it and it fired up right away. But NOW I know wit wasn't that at all... so now what? My dad has a 2001 Ford Econoline that doesn't run during the month of February because of the damp climate... it gives him all kinds of problems.

thanks,

Mark
Back to top Go down
http://DesignsbyMarkonline.net
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over   Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Please tell me what rain looks like.....I can't remember. 105-degrees yesterday, 103 today and tomorrow. I miss rain SO MUCH.

Did you check your battery connections and the junction box on the passenger side wheel-well for corrosion and tightness? Will the car crank and just not catch, or won't crank at all?

Good luck!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over   Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:20 pm

It's usually wet and recently been cold. Gives you that chill down to your bones and all you want to do is stay inside with a book and a cup of coffee with a shot whiskey in it...

but back to the car... the battery is brand new and the cables are on tight. It'll crank all day, just not catch... if and when it catches just coughs and gives a sick glulgging sound.... It's sunny now so, hopefully if it doesn't rain any more today, it'll fire right up when I get home.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over   Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:30 pm

I'd focus on the basics.

Relieve the fuel pressure at the schrader valve, then hit the key and make sure your pump is kicking on for several seconds with the key in the on position. Maybe shoot some carb cleaner down the TB throat and see if it fires up while someone else cranks it, etc.

Check the grounds at the coil - on the front of the drivers side head, etc.

In general, if it's cranking and not starting - you need to figure out of you're missing fuel, air, or fire - and air is usually not what it's starving for.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over   Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:11 pm

I can hear the fuel pump whine before it starts to crank...

It usually cranks over and fires right away when it's dry or if it's been sitting in the driveway... so it's got something to do with the moisture either in the air or getting in somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over   Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Maybe the ambient moisture is temporarily crapping out your optispark (distributor).
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over   Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:43 pm

maybe... that would lead me to believe that the opti is on it's way out... (???) maybe it's got a crack in it or moisture buildup...
Back to top Go down
dm95dcm

dm95dcm

PostSubject: Re: Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over   Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Try looking at the wiring harnesses going into the pcm at the drivers side inner wheel well. Mine were rubbed through grounding out on the metal. The water/moisture caused engine check lights, hard starts, etc. When it was dry it was OK, when wet, no go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over   Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rain Overnight + Car Sitting Outside = Engine Won't Turn Over
Page 1 of 1