GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My 96 RMW project...

Go down 
+33
scoob8000
Nick Danger
BigBlackBeaSSt
mtrhead79
Skipper
Cadet57
crazyboutwagons
ghetto wagon
SShiftn6
waynes91
Stretch
silverfox103
1993 Roady-man
bigoldv8
Wishin
Chakotay
Robert 96
JaySS
Wagon Collector
Sprocket
200OZ
Greg72
phantom 309
jayoldschool
convert2diesel
94Woody
sherlock9c1
Krzdimond
buickestate
toomanytoyz
lornejay1
DBeaSSt
brokecello
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
brokecello
brokecello

My 96 RMW project... Empty
PostSubject: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:13 am

I have to say a huuuuge 'thank you' to Mike for selling me the new wagon. It made it home from VA-SC on Mon with no major issues. I mean seriously?? This wagon sat for over 2 years in a parking lot and made it 460+ miles with minimal effort. Smile Thanks to Robert as well (I hear he helped out Sun night too)

I will put up pics and Video as I go along...but don't look for real fast progress right now (still saving some money up) BUT the next bit of fun will happen the weekend of Aug 22ond. Hehe!!

This wagon has the best interior I have ever bought off the bat....but by far the worse exterior. Should be fun! bounce

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:17 am

You're welcome, happy to help a fellow wagon nut. geek

You KNOW I'm looking forward to progress pics (and vids)!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:56 am

Red Guts I love it, our creator got it rite.22 years of embalming and I have yet to see anyone with any other.

My 96 RMW project... Nokeys
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 5:41 pm

MOAR PICSS!!!!!!!!

Smile

Glad she made it home. Get as good mileage as your pace car? Wink
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 2:48 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Get as good mileage as your pace car? Wink

That was a car?
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 11:32 pm

buickestate wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:
Get as good mileage as your pace car? Wink

That was a car?

OMG!! Lol Smile
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Ugg..   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 11:40 pm

So! I did a little side work for the inlaws today. Replaced the struts and shocks on their Caravan. It took less time that I thought it would...so I decided to work on the wagon.

My 96 RMW project... IMG_7472

Replaced the fuel filter, removed and cleaned the TB, MAF and did the TB Bypass Mod.

And Mike, the AC is still very cold! Smile But that rear tire was FLAT. Lol

Anyhow, while I was changing the fuel filter....I noticed the brake line was kinda crusty behind the filter. I am not used to seeing that AND the rest of the lines had undercoat on them (car has seen winters).

Well, being the Southern guy I am...I kinda pick at the crusty stuff (I mean barely picked at it) and wished I could clean it off. Put the car down and decided to call it a night. Started the car to move it back in the carport and noticed the brake light was on. WTHeck?? Had a bad feeling....and looked under the car.

My 96 RMW project... IMG_7473

See the fountain streaming!! lol!

My 96 RMW project... IMG_7476

So, I have never had to deal with the brake lines before. Can you Northern guys offer advise? Gotta buy the whole thing and replace it all? GM?

Chris
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 4:20 am

Same thing happened to me when I first got the wagon. Brake lines are a custom job now. Not avail from GM, or anyone else. Someone claims to make lines, but they are just pre-bent just like NAPA would do in the shop- for less. You have 2 choices at this point, either cut out the bad/rusted parts and put in a patch, or buy bulk line and replace it all. I recommend replace the whole line. Rust is contagious.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 7:17 am

I replaced both the brake and fuel lines on my wife's 98 Malibu a few years ago after it developed a gas leak in the return line. The lines tend to rust at the line holders and in places where there is not direct air exposure (like in the rear wheelwell area). I'd make a complete assessment of the lines before I picked an approach.

The other comment I'd make is that unless you have access to a lift, it might be best to let a shop do it.

As for a parts source, you might want to call these guys: classic tube

I think Roadmattster got ALL of his brakelines in stainless from them (prebent, I believe) for less than $100 a few years ago and had nothing but good things to say.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 7:48 am

Bummer! Guess the undercoating folks missed a few spots. Sad No further suggestions, looks like it's been covered pretty well. I've had to replace a line or two as well. They aren't horribly bad to have bent. Good excuse to flush the brake system out too. Wink

Do I see a window partially down there?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 8:23 am

Don't PICK at it!!!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 8:26 am

I to will be needing brake lines in the near future, man I hate rust. They are not very hard to work with and a set of jack stands should do the trick as far as raising.

Good to see some work on the new project, the little things seem to make the most improvement Smile
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 11:29 am

Ok! Thanks for the link Joel. And other advise guys!!

I need to asses the situation, but I will replace it all for sure!!! Just have to adjust timing of things.

Funny thing is this, Mike asked if I wanted to replace the fuel filter before I left his place in VA. We did not have time. So what if I would have don it then (picked at that spot) and headed out on the Mountain pass!!! affraid

Really glad I waited Shocked
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Get yourself a brake line flare kit, and a tube bender, buy the bake line in bulk, bend them up as you go. start from the front and work towards the back.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:19 pm

Well, here is the new plan.

Gonna take my front clip off..rear out...clean and paint everything underneath...and then install the new brake lines Smile

I am doing a Sedan front clip and already have the inner fenders. Will have to go get the rest of the parts in a bit. (including new rad support) But this way I can really have everything cleaned and painted before I put the new clip parts on. Plus I can get the underside and rear done before the weather gets too cold. I will be working outside during all of this.

Then the body work and paint can happen in the winter/early spring.

Have you guys ever used products from this place?

http://www.hirschauto.com/departments.asp?dept=12

Thinking our getting the rust remover/metal prep and the rust killer paint. Seemsvery similiar to the Eastwood and POR15 products. But a little cheaper in price.

Chris
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Uhm... Uh... Chris?

That may be a little bit overkill for a brake line. I mean... uhm... You do know you can do a brake line while the body is still on the frame, right?

Wink
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 pm

Lol....you know I am just a clean freak. I see one thing..then another..then another...

I want this wagon to be niiice afro
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:49 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Uhm... Uh... Chris?

That may be a little bit overkill for a brake line. I mean... uhm... You do know you can do a brake line while the body is still on the frame, right?

Wink

Yeh but it is soooo much easier without that pesky body in the way.

Chris, I can vouch for the Eastwood stuff. Their older line of rust converter and chassis black has lasted for five years now on the locomotive. Now needs some touchup but more from neglect then product failure.

They now have some high ceramic chassis paint that I'm going to try on the Caddy (project 3A-4b sub section 7) when I do the conversion. Also going to spring for their powder coating stuff and try some pieces at home. Looks like heats going to be a problem so the exhaust underhood will have to be ceramic coated.

Its a bit pricey but this tool is the best 400 bucks (maybe found cheaper) you will ever spend, especially with all the special ends that are used in our cars. You can repair/replace any of the hoses for our cars (and all your neibours cars) using this. You can even get the stuff to make AC lines from them.

http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html

The first kit on the page. Does everything except the 1/2in oil cooler lines and you can buy the anvil and insert seperately.

Bill

Last edited by convert2diesel on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:50 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Uhm... Uh... Chris?

Wink

But Bill it's a lot easier to do with out the body in the way..... Shocked
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Who hoo!! Just got a rollpan ordered Smile $90.95 SHIPPED with ins to my door cheers

Way cheaper than the last one I bought Suspect

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220463062092&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 7:42 pm

You can use roll pans to fix brake lines? Wow, that stuff is amazing! geek
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 8:12 pm

*cough*

Well, I just earned a little extra $ from doing work on Cara's parents and gparents vans. So I am getting the rollpan and now looking at brake line options!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 10:05 am

Lol...yeeah. I'll jump on that Pat. lol!

I am getting brake lines. But the wagon ain't moving anytime too soon so I jumped on the rollpan as it is in the plans. That is the same exact pan one I bought for the WB4 and it was 1/3 the price. This is the thicker higher quality one.

I do have the money set aside for the brake lines though. Just hoping to score a deal. I know someone will post up a F/S ad. I know of a complete SSteel wagon set just sitting in a heap of a wagon. (BigOldV8's friend) Would like to get those.

Monday I will order the front frame area/engine bay paint and chemicals. Eastwood is who I think I am going with! Next Sat and Sun will be fun! Front clip will be off and I will be cleaning prepping and painting Smile

Gotta go to Louisville this weekend for gigs, so no progress Sad
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 2:19 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:

As for a parts source, you might want to call these guys: classic tube

I think Roadmattster got ALL of his brakelines in stainless from them (prebent, I believe) for less than $100 a few years ago and had nothing but good things to say.

Woah..prices went up.

$199 in mild steel or $225 in stainless
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Made it home from Louisville a little early tonight. So I decided to start on the wagon. Took the hood off and cleaned the engine a little before labeling and removing stuff. You can see my project work area. That is a huge @ss carport. LOL! Very lucky to have the space.

More tomorrow night! Smile

Chris

My 96 RMW project... IMG_7483
My 96 RMW project... IMG_7487
My 96 RMW project... IMG_7485
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 8:37 pm

That's not a carport, that's a drive-in! geek
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 9:05 pm

Save me those fenders for my rusty 92! And the hood! And the core support! And... oh... nevermind... lol
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 11:08 am

brokecello wrote:
Lol...yeeah. I'll jump on that Pat. lol!
I jumped on the rollpan as it is in the plans.

You seem a little jumpy,. bounce i,d guess that roll pan has to be pretty thick to be jumped on like that,.
Guy selliing them hates canadians,. i tried to buy a couple,. guy wouldn't even return my e-mails,.
Kevin tried to buy some for us,. guy had already sold out,. *sigh*
How long before you strip this car naked too chris? Laughing
Future plans for me are to kidnap you and frank and robert,. lock you all into a well lit with plenty of neon lights garage, with two of my wagons, plenty of paint, cleaning supplies. polishes waxes etc,.Open the food slot 3 times a day. and wait a week or so to let you guys back out, and see what happens,. guess you,d need the overhead crane too tho thinking about it,..

Nick
actually been working on the flamed wagon a bt lately,.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:05 pm

Well...I'd be fine as long as the food was good. Lol lol!

Robert would need lots of Cigs and a good sound system to jam to and Frank would need cases of his Yenyangling beer.

geek
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Yenyangling! LOL!

Git'r Done, Chris! Only 50 weeks to WF2K10!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 9:12 pm

I will need all 50 weeks Bill....I really think I will! Neutral

So, a little more progress tonight. Can't really see all the little stuff I did. I hit a wall with these inner fender bolts. I ran out of daylight and will need to figure a trick to get these out. The little threaded clips just spin in the fender. Any tips Pat? Anyone? I can't really reach the middle ones to keep them from spinning. I have them soaking in PB blaster again too. I am thinking I can slip a flathead screwdriver up there to wedge that clip. I gotta keep these fenders scratch free for Mike though! Wink

Unfortunately I will not be able to work on the wagon until Thurs. Sad Stuff every evening from tomorrow on... and we are going to Myrtle Beach Fri after work. But next week I will hit it hard! Then I will have 49 weeks to finish. Ug.

Chris

My 96 RMW project... IMG_7492
My 96 RMW project... IMG_7493

Last edited by brokecello on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Take the heads off with a grinder or a sawzall...
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 9:18 pm

My vote is for using a grinder as the Sawzall tends to be violent in small places, lol.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Dang..that sounds violent. Lol Well, I moved some stuff around so I can work on it tomorrow too Smile I want those bolts off tomorrow!! bounce
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:26 pm

I used one of these, works great, but make sure that you have not just been cleaning parts in gasoline before using this tool to cut off bolts....don't ask how I know this...

My 96 RMW project... 3__Air_Cut_Off_Tool
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 11:35 pm

Take the tire/wheel off too!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:01 am

Believe it or not Pat....I do have a cut off wheel. But no air compressor to power it (lo)

I will see what I can come up with tonight. No worries...I will take the wheel off if the sparks will be flying!
Back to top Go down
Greg72

Greg72

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:01 am

buickestate wrote:
I used one of these, works great, but make sure that you have not just been cleaning parts in gasoline before using this tool to cut off bolts....don't ask how I know this...

ROFL ! That was good! I almost spit out my coffee while reading this here at work!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 5:22 pm

And this is why we keep fire extinguishers in the garage, kids.

cherry
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 8:30 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
And this is why we keep fire extinguishers in the garage, kids.

Fire extinguisher? Please elaborate.... study

Razz
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 8:59 pm

OK! SUCCESS!!!!!!

No fires were started though Smile

Can anyone tell me about that options sticker on the top of the pass side firewall??

Yeah...I know I am slow...but I am alone and only have hand tools. BUT this is totally fun Smile

I hope to have the other side off Thurs night when I work on it again.

Chris

My 96 RMW project... IMG_7500
My 96 RMW project... IMG_7501
My 96 RMW project... IMG_7503
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Nice! Can't wait to see the finished project.

So... remember when I was joking about your parts for my rusty 92? Well... if you are just going to throw them out... keep me in mind. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:05 pm

bustedviola wrote:

Can anyone tell me about that options sticker on the top of the pass side firewall??

Chris
its a warning to SC residents stating its against the law to remove the inner fenders,. alien

Nick
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:08 pm

Lookin' good Chris! How do the frame rails look now that you can get a good look at them?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:13 pm

Shocked you call that rad support rusty!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:24 pm

buickestate wrote:

Wait till you see the bottom..and under the radiator. Trust me...it is bad. Mike can verify! silent The top is not too rusty though. I will show you once I get it out!!

Mike, the frame rails will clean up nicely I think! Smile
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:28 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Nice! Can't wait to see the finished project.

So... remember when I was joking about your parts for my rusty 92? Well... if you are just going to throw them out... keep me in mind. Very Happy

I know Mike wanted some parts, but anything he does not want you are welcome to have. Smile
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 9:24 pm

buickestate wrote:

Yes...see! I can't have this on my baby!

My 96 RMW project... IMG_7509
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 9:27 pm

Ok. So I took the other fender/inner fender off AND had time to do the bumper cover and support! Who hoo!! cheers Making progress!

Won't work on it again till Mon night though. We are heading to meet friends for the weekend in Myrtle Beach tomorrow night.

Next week the rad support, engine and trans comes out!

Chris

My 96 RMW project... IMG_7507
My 96 RMW project... IMG_7508

I like this pic...looks like I have a 'Vette with the hood open! *cough* Or not. geek

My 96 RMW project... IMG_7515
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 9:39 pm

convert2diesel wrote:

Chris, I can vouch for the Eastwood stuff. Their older line of rust converter and chassis black has lasted for five years now on the locomotive. Now needs some touchup but more from neglect then product failure.

Bill, I also ordered the stuff from Eastwood yesterday too!! Looking forward to using it!

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 96 RMW project...   My 96 RMW project... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My 96 RMW project...
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next