GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!

Go down 
+2
sherlock9c1
Wagon Collector
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Empty
PostSubject: 17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!   17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Need some help...

After seeing Jason's Mercedes big-brake conversion this year at Wagonfest, I've put that conversion in line for mods on my car. Unfortunately winter is here and my snow tires/wheels are shot.

So... I need some 17" winter wheels to provide enough clearance for my upcoming brakes. I don't like the idea of running Impala SS wheels in the winter because I don't want to deal with the clear-coat issue. I was thinking of going Soft 8s, in a 17x8 size.... but I want to dress them up 9C1 style with trim rings and 9C1 center caps. Similar to what was done to the back of this car, but with trim rings:

17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! 9c1wheelssideview

Problem is, I'm not 100% sure I like the 9C1 center caps on the Soft 8s, mostly because the wheel is too smooth. In the pic above you can see that the 9C1 wheel has more of a bulge near the center cap.

I'm trying to stay under $500 for the set. Seems like a lot for snow wheels, but I have mine on for 6 months and I do keep the car nice in the winter. I figured I may as well have something nice to look at. I would love a set of the Wheel Vintiques Rally wheels. Now that would be badass. Too pricey for me, though... especially when I buy the center caps and rings.

17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Wvi-38-501205_w

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-66-7805042/?rtype=10

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!   17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 5:25 pm

If you don't mind adapters, a used set of '97-99 C5 wheels would work great and be pretty cheap. They are very lightweight too - only 19.5 pounds each.

Last edited by sherlock9c1 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: 17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!   17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 5:29 pm

You could use the Astro centers (chrome) but you would need to modify the nut caps to make them work on our lug nuts.

Do they make a corvette ralley style center for the soft 8's? Those would look nice.

I do like the soft 8's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: SS wheels   17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Kevin how about finding a set of beatup SS wheels,strip the clear and paint them to match your wagon.They are out there as I found a nice set with 3
good 255/50/17 BFG KDWS tires.Thats what I am thinking of doing with mine once I find a decent 4th BFG KDWS to replace the wornout tire.I dont need
snow tires here but am planning on putting the SS wheels on my 95 RMW.I got my wheels for 200 and it took a lot of bartering but was well worth it!
Jim
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: 17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!   17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: 17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!   17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 6:19 pm

I have a set I bought off of ebay and never used. They are new never installed with all the caps. LMK if you are interested.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

PostSubject: Re: 17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!   17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks everyone!

I dunno... I think I want to stick to steel for the winter. It's just so much easier to scuff and repaint than it is to deal with aluminum wheels and salt.

Still thinking. I have about a month to decide. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: 17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!   17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Why not just use the push through caps they're designed to use? You could even go with bullet caps or something and chrome/stainless lugs and wouldn't need a trim ring.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!   17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:43 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!   17" Winter Wheels?  Suggestions Please! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

17" Winter Wheels? Suggestions Please!
Page 1 of 1