GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Side molding clips unobtainium?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LOLSUV

LOLSUV

Side molding clips unobtainium? Empty
PostSubject: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2021 7:57 pm

I'm going to redo the woodgrain on my wagon, and my 20+ years of experience doing bodywork tells me that in spite of the great care I will take removing the moldings, some of the clips are going to break. Now I've searched the forum and googled for replacement clips and got zero. Am I missing anything? Also if anyone has a right fender wheel opening molding I'd love to hear about it!
Back to top Go down
LOLSUV

LOLSUV

PostSubject: Re: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2021 8:03 pm

BTW, if you have a Roadmaster you apparently can get clips: google 10135796.
Back to top Go down
theamcguy

theamcguy

PostSubject: Re: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2021 11:42 am

How many needed to do the whole car?
Back to top Go down
LOLSUV

LOLSUV

PostSubject: Re: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2021 11:45 am

I won't know until I take the moldings off, which won't happen until the weather get warmer here in Colorado. My googling showed that the Roadmaster clips aren't the same as the Caprice clips. I may order a few just to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Try Clipsandfasteners .com i've dealt with them good people they carry a lot of obsolete stuff for older GM cars Hope this helps nice car !

LOLSUV likes this post

Back to top Go down
LOLSUV

LOLSUV

PostSubject: Re: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2021 2:37 pm

Wojtek wrote:
Try Clipsandfasteners .com i've dealt with them good people they carry a lot of obsolete stuff for older GM cars  Hope this helps nice car !

They sell 2 that are similar to the ones we use, 10135796 is the Roadmaster clip that's 11/16 in height and has to be pretty close if not identical to the Caprice clip. 8733059,4492962 & 9838109 is the other, and at 11/32 I'd have to think it's too small.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2021 11:42 pm

The Caprice upper trim clips are the same as the RMW. The lower trim for a Caprice is glued on. The real issue is the pins on the front point, and wherever similar push pins are located. The pins are extremely brittle and most are not available. They also require a small grommet in the body for the pin to insert into. I have heard that the "red" wall anchors are the same size as the grommets, and can be substituted, but have not tried them. You can also harvest some from the bottom of Caprice and RMW doors, and OCCs along the top of the cladding. All are difficult to remove successfully.

LOLSUV likes this post

Back to top Go down
LOLSUV

LOLSUV

PostSubject: Re: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 9:43 am

I'm going to use heat when I do this, and I'm going to be really careful. It's possible my old friends in the autobody industry have something in their clip drawers...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 9:53 am

Enough heat will only destroy the woodgrain finish. It may deform the nylon clips as well. Your main concern is the pin connectors because of their brittleness, and heat will not make that better. The upper trim can be removed from the clips with a trim tool.

LOLSUV likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

PostSubject: Re: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 11:48 pm

I’ve got loads of clips. Pm me

LOLSUV likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Side molding clips unobtainium?   Side molding clips unobtainium? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Side molding clips unobtainium?
Page 1 of 1