GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chapel

chapel

Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Empty
PostSubject: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 5:34 pm

my kid was sitting in the front seat playing around with things. I went to start the car like 30 minutes later and I'm just getting a hard clicking...
wondering if it's just the battery (I have nothing to jump start the car with... and the hood won't open now...)
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 6:01 pm

I'd bet dead battery because he turned the lights on. (or similar event)

Doesn't the car have hood release next to your left foot?
If you can't open the hood, I don't know a way of jumping it.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 6:25 pm

yeah, the hood release isn't popping the hood... I think it needs some cleaning and adjustment... it works if someone is here to pull the hood as someone is popping it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 6:41 pm

How old is your child Jared?Maybe they could tug on the release while you bounce up and down
on the hood!Just a thought!
Jim
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 pm

2... not quite old enough Wink
someone told me to just give it a bump with my hand and it should open.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Ok, so...
the battery might be low... we tried a jump pack, and still had no-start. Everytime I try to start it, I get a click click click... then afterwards, that stupid air pump for the shocks runs for like 2-3 minutes.
Now the battery is fully dead.

is there a fuse I can pull to kill the air pump for the shocks until I fix this no-start?
we hit the solenoid on the starter to no avail too.

I might end up having this towed to a shop for repair. I don't have a free weekend on my schedule for a few weeks now... and it's too cold to work outside down here...
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 7:46 am

Pull the battery and take it to a local autozone or like and have them charge and test it. They usually do this for free. After this is resolved see if she starts. If not it sounds like your starter solenoid or starter is shot. So take that it to autozone and have that tested.

If you do not have the time I am sure the local shop can help. But if it is to cold for you to work on your car in October (Mass or otherwise) then you need to find out where the local spa and beauty salon is and join the rest of the WOMEN!!!!

LOL.....
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 7:54 am

Ouch!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:06 am

How could I resist...........
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 am

Easy for you to say in nice warm scenic God foresaken Lewisberry,WWhere ever near Hell that is! ( near Hell, and hence the warmth for Mid October outdoor car repairs)
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:15 am

The clicking you're hear is the starter solenoid energizing then de-energizing quickly because the battery is just about dead. The starter and solenoid are probably fine, save you money on a tow, and your time charging the battery, and go buy a new battery, put it in the car. It's only going to get colder and would hate to have you brake a nail or something changing a battery when the temps drop to single digits, Smile so do it now.

Mike
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:19 am

I agree. Just buy a new battery and be done with it.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:30 am

yeah, sounds good. I'll do that. then I'll take the old one and test it. keep it as a spare.

Question: how do I disconnect the air pump for the shocks? I think that might be the culprit. it runs for 1-5 minutes every time I cycle the key, even if I don't drive the car.

and you're right, it's not too cold yet... I've worked in the snow in January on my back... I'm just being a pussy as I age. Wink
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:10 am

Probably got a leak in the line/bag, which makes it continually energize. It shouldn't do that.

I don't have 95 FSM to advise you on which fuse to pull. The door of the fuse box is visible when you open the driver's door at the end of the dash. (assuming they didn't move it from the 93's position) It should have a "map" on the inside of the door as to which fuse handles what circuit.

Dave
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:15 am

yeah, I didn't see it on the door to the fuse box (nothing seemed like 'suspension air pump' to me)
and the fuse box under the hood didn't have anything there either...
I'll check the FSM when I get home.
Back to top Go down
88vmax

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:21 pm

There is a 25 amp fuse in under hood fuse panel marked ELC & a 10 amp fuse in driver side fuse panel marked level control, Either one of these should disable the air pump without any other problems.

Clint
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:25 pm

new battery fixed it
removed fuse 27 too. no more pump running after the car is shut off.

gonna see if the old battery is any good. Anyone need a battery if it is?

Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly 297154_10150341479926984_523876983_8264907_86469837_n
that drop light is awesome, btw... I gotta buy one.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 am

If it can be recharged, SAVE the old battery for when other similar events occur.

They will happen, and at the least opportune times. Nice To have spare power available.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 11:00 am

yeah. the core is only like $12 too...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly   Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Car won't start. Starter clicking loudly
Page 1 of 1