GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

96 rmw stalled out and wont start

Go down 
+3
jayoldschool
silverfox103
mrgadget215
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mrgadget215

mrgadget215

96 rmw stalled out and wont start Empty
PostSubject: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 2:45 pm

I was driving home and the car stalled out on me. Once i pulled over the car was off and would turn back on. Im not sure whats the problem because the car never gave me signs that this would happen. It wasnt out of gas i put 2 gallons of gas this morning and still nothing if this helps the past week money has been tight so a couple times i was running with the low fuel light on so mabye this caused the problem biut im not sure.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Not good to drive these cars low on gas, no matter what the circumstance, as the gas cools the fuel pump.

By the symptoms, if I were to guess, you need a fuel pump. First thing to do is check the fuel pressure as that is a good indication if that is where your problem is.

When you turn on the key (not trying to start it), can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Put more gas in it and get back to us.
Back to top Go down
mrgadget215

mrgadget215

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 7:53 pm

So you saying just put more gas in and see what happens??
Back to top Go down
mrgadget215

mrgadget215

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Because it had atleast quarter tank before i.put 2 gallons in
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 8:17 pm

OK, let's slow down a second.

When you turn the key, what happens? Does it start, stumble, then die? Does it turn over, but not catch? Are the plugs firing?

Remember, spark, bang, blow.

Check the free stuff first: Pull a plug wire and check for spark
Autozone offers a loan-A-tool fuel pressure gauge.

The answers to those two will help more than all of the internet diagnosis.

I agree about the fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Yes, put more gas in. If it doesn't start then, you can start trouble shooting.
Back to top Go down
mrgadget215

mrgadget215

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Ok thank jay will do and superior finish i will check first thing in the morning the car isnt near me so i will do everything that is told and see the outcome. Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
fmlm83

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 11:17 pm

Same thing happened to me, only I was lucky enough to be in front of my house. The gas gauge read a quarter tank and I was thinking the worst. Too cold to mess with it so I let it set a few days. Finally I decided to put some gas in it and it started right up. Ran it down to the station and it only took 16 more gallons for a total of 18 to fill up a 22 gal tank. I read somewhere that this is what we can expect, so now I fill up when it gets down to the quarter tank level. Good luck. Hope your fix is as easy as mine.
Back to top Go down
mrgadget215

mrgadget215

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Ok so i went to the car this morning and put two more gallons of gas in and still the samething i hear the starter and fuel pump and i have power so im not sure what to do next
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Hearing the fuel pump is a GOOD sign..

Go to autozone and borrow a fuel pressure gauge. Hook it to the only place under the hoos where it fits.. on the fuel rail near the firewall....

Let me know what the pressures read with key on, not running and starting. Could be something as simple as a bad relay that operates the pressure regulator....
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Is this the 94? Bad coil wire/ICM/coil...
Back to top Go down
mrgadget215

mrgadget215

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 7:27 pm

96 rmw
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 7:28 pm

he was supposed to check for spark.... no response I ASSumed it had spark..

If not, I agree.... check for spark, it's free.. and gut busting HILARIOUS if you con a helper into holding the spark end while you turn the key.... you know with CERTAINTY if there is spark or not..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 7:53 pm

You might want to make sure your helper doesnt have a pacemaker or you might be calling a ambulance for them.
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
You might want to make sure your helper doesnt have a pacemaker or you might be calling a ambulance for them.
Or worse yet, another kind of wagon... Sad

Definitely make sure that all parties involved are aware of the risk for shock when testing the ignition system.
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 am

Use an inductive timing light, if available. A cheap alternative is a spark checker -- a neon bulb that plugs inline with the spark plug.

Both are not only safer, but also more accurate. Compression inhibits spark (google "spark quench" for more detail) so just because the system will generate a spark in free air does not mean it will generate a spark inside the engine.

I'm curious by the phrase "Once i pulled over the car was off and would turn back on." Could you elaborate on EXACTLY what is going on? Do you mean the engine died but would restart? The lights all went dead but came back on? Remember, the internet is computer based, and just like any computer, Garbage In, Garbage Out. To have any hope of useful responses, you must be as accurate and detailed as possible in your description. Otherwise people will tend to make assumptions about the problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw stalled out and wont start   96 rmw stalled out and wont start Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

96 rmw stalled out and wont start
Page 1 of 1