GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

what about michigan assembly?

Go down 
+6
Sprocket
Bewber
ChevyChugg
Cadet57
buickestate
a1awind
10 posters
AuthorMessage
a1awind

a1awind

what about michigan assembly? Empty
PostSubject: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 6:14 pm

i had heard of a few of our cars being built in michigan and thought it was a myth...till i bought one!
does anyone have any information on the willow run assembly plant?

edit: maybe its not willow run but it says on my car final assembly michigan... i dont feel like putting clothes on to go back out and look again.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 6:21 pm

a1awind wrote:
i dont feel like putting clothes on to go back out and look again.

I did not need to know that...... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 6:49 pm

My car has the "WRN" RPO for "willow run" but the window sticker lists Ypsilanti, MI as final assembly location. I think only wagons were built there as the only times ive seen that code was on OCC's and my Caprice. But I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Ian isnt that where the last of our wagon frames were bought from.I remember reading over on the car-domain site where a wagon enthusiast found out that the willow run plant still had a
few leftover wagon frames left and he bought all of them.So if they had frames there,it makes sense that they actually built our wagons there.
Jim
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 7:43 pm

My 91 Sedan was built in Willow Run
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:18 pm

ChevyChugg wrote:
My 91 Sedan was built in Willow Run

I stand corrected!
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:21 pm

It was the B-body assembly plant until production was relocated to Arlington. There never was a "wagon only" plant.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Only TBI cars were built at Willow Run (although I think they were also built in Arlington at the same time). I've owned 4 TBI cars and all were Willow Run.

ALL 94+ B-body production was at Arlington.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Only TBI cars were built at Willow Run (although I think they were also built in Arlington at the same time).

I know that part is true, as my brothers '93 is an Arlington car. Even has a sticker that says "Built in Texas, By Texans" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Willow Run has quite a history. From B-24 Liberators to Custom Cruisers, that plant turned out a lot of product. Cool

what about michigan assembly? B-24_bomber_at_Willow_Run
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:55 pm

To be really honest Ian. I do not give a hoot where my car was made other than in the good old USA (or Canada). But it is slowly being RE-MADE in Lewisberry, PA..........

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:56 pm

My OCC is from Willow Run assembly (which is located in Ypsilanti, MI). Somewhere I recall seeing a newsclip from 1992 or so talking about GM's plans to shut down one of the two B body plants (Arlington being the other) They were interviewing workers at Willow Run and they seemed optimistic that GM would keep their plant open and shut down Arlington citing production output. Obviously they were wrong. I know OCC's and Caprices were built there, but don't know if RMW's or RMS' were built there or if they were exclusive to Arlington. Also I believe Willow Run continued to make other parts after the car assembly line closed.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:24 pm

So were any OCCs built in Texas?

This of interest for the Vin number production count.
i did snag alot of pArts off a late 92 with 4000+ number in the JY after C4C

It was the only cruiser i saw with cloth and a vinyl 3rd row (figured they ran out and used on from a Caprice.
It would make sense that the olds and bucks were built at different plants as the Caprice had the highest prod numbers the first 3 years
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Sprocket wrote:
It was the only cruiser i saw with cloth and a vinyl 3rd row (figured they ran out and used on from a Caprice.

I thought all the third rows were vinyl? Mine is a cloth car with a vinyl 3rd seat - 91 Roadmaster...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Only the Olds wagons got cloth 3rd row seats.

They're rather uncommon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what about michigan assembly?   what about michigan assembly? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what about michigan assembly?
Page 1 of 1