GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trim removal and polish....... From other site................

Go down 
+4
Cadet57
1993 Roady-man
WagonLover
BigBlackBeaSSt
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Empty
PostSubject: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 12:50 am

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Trimremovaltools

A few tools are needed. It comes down to technique mostly, but the right tools help a lot

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Driversfrontspear

Each piece of molding is different. I started with the front. The wheel opening trim comes off with a couple of screws in the wheel well. Then it has a tab that goes into the front spear. See the bottom right of this picture.

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Frontspearclip2

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Frontspearclip3

The spear itself is held on with posts that insert into a bushing in the fender.

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Frontspearclipwithbrokenbushing

Some of my bushings pulled out of the fender. These also break easily, so work slowly.

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Rearofsmalltrimbymirror

Use the putty knife and panel tool to pry these off. I used the putty knife to keep from denting the car.

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Reardooracornnut

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Driverssidedoorsscrewbolthole

some of the door trim and the tailgate trim is held at one or both ends with these acorn nuts.

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Endcapwithpushfastener

Remove them slowly with a socket. And this is what you will have left.

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Endcap

Some ends are held with a phillips head screw. Pretty straight forward.

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Flatmoldingclip

On the doors, rear quarters and tailgate you will find these little white clips. They do most of the attaching work. They are easy to separate from the trim. Start on the rear quarters.

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Frontofrearquartertrim

These are held on with just the white clips.

Open the rear door and begin by carefully sliding the trim forward and aft to loosen it up and clean some of the junk out.

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Pushdownontabs2

Put a little outward pressure on the trim piece and carefully touch each upper corner of the clip. The top will pop free.

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Twistawayfromtopofclip

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Nowpushdowngentlyandpullout

Then keep the top at the same angle, push down (gently) and pull out on the bottom. It should then be free of the clip. Repeat at next clip.

The tailgate has the Phillips head screws on both ends and just white clips in the middle. Remove the screws and then treat it like the rear quarters. Once you get the feel for the white clips, most of the car will go quickly. If you damage the inserts that go into the front fender you can use drywall push in anchors to replace them (Thanks for the tip Tom). I had to use trim adhesive to re attach one front spear, but it seem to be working well.

If your trim still has the clear over the wood grain it will strip hard. Try to remove as much as you can. Next I used "Aircraft Stripper" from Autozone and got wood grain off the trim. Floats off pretty easy when you use the stripper. I then buffed each piece on my buffing wheel. If you had the time you could sand first with very fine paper and might get better results than I did.

It all popped back on pretty easy. I cleaned sanded and sprayed the end caps with a flat light gray paint to set off the trim.

GOOD LUCK and PM me if you have any questions.

LOLSUV, ayilar and GeoffB like this post

Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:12 pm

wow.. amazing thread!.. im painting my agon hopefully this summer.. BIG help this is!
Back to top Go down
https://www.photobucket.com/wagonlover
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:54 pm

I can PM you with any question? Becasue I'm trying to figure out one of my best friends and she's a woman.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:49 pm

Just say the word or PM me and I will give you my phone number.........

Tim
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 9:13 am

I thought this trim was all stainless...... Turns out I was wrong. It is aluminum......

Tim
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 10:27 am

Tim,

On the drivers side rear door, there is that black washer thing on the inside holding the acorn nut on. How the heck do i get that off? It won't come off for anything.

Also, the small piece next to the rearview mirror, I broke both of the acorn nuts (yeah... I know) know of any suitable replacements?

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
I thought this trim was all stainless...... Turns out I was wrong. It is aluminum......

Tim

Does it need to be top coated because its aluminum?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 10:50 am

Cadet57 wrote:
Tim,

On the drivers side rear door, there is that black washer thing on the inside holding the acorn nut on. How the heck do i get that off? It won't come off for anything.

Also, the small piece next to the rearview mirror, I broke both of the acorn nuts (yeah... I know) know of any suitable replacements?

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Tim

Does it need to be top coated because its aluminum?

I have never seen a washer, but it might be the bottom of the acorn nut broken off. try to bend it up and turn it up the post. Be careful not to break those posts. Not the rarest piece but you will have headaches replacing.

If it is just the acorn nuts that broke and not the plastic post, I think you can go to the hardware store and match up something. If you can use a little trim adhesive. I used some on my front spear it you would never know.

Tim
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks again Tim for this great thread. If I hadn't followed this on the other site I probably would have had a screwed up mess!

Jon
Back to top Go down
saltfevr

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Tim; Thanks for the info. I sent you a PM with questions Thanks again for the pics!
Back to top Go down
http://www.landracing.com
saltfevr

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 pm

Tim;
Did you repaint your brushed alum. mldgs ,or left them as is,with a clear coat? Thanks
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 5:51 am

Just polished............
Back to top Go down
saltfevr

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Tim;

Wow, what a beautiful wagon man! That moulding is really lookin' good! Sorry for another question. After you buffed the mouldings yourself, what if any clearcoat brand did you use?

I see where Eastwood.com has a 18oz spray for about $13. I liked your trick using the putty knife to shield panel remover tool(found mine at Pep Boys(Dorman $6.50).
I discovered through my Local Chevy Part Counter, my broken gray clip on passenger front spear moulding only came with mldg.( not seperately.) Too bad mldg is discontinued. You can get the white plastic, rectangle snap over clips from Chevy(cheaper by NAPA by the bag)plus the small round, hole inserts are still GM avail. Also a 1850 W hair dryer wouldn't remove pesky woodgrain decals either, just the messy remover.
I'm kinda hesitant to buff myself, as one slip on wheel, and a very thin mldg. is ruined. Again thanks for your detailed photo info! And yes, the drywall insert would work. But I need a fender T bolt for the front spear clip I broke.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:31 pm

saltfevr wrote:
Tim;

Wow, what a beautiful wagon man! That moulding is really lookin' good! Sorry for another question. After you buffed the mouldings yourself, what if any clearcoat brand did you use?

I see where Eastwood.com has a 18oz spray for about $13. I liked your trick using the putty knife to shield panel remover tool(found mine at Pep Boys(Dorman $6.50).
I discovered through my Local Chevy Part Counter, my broken gray clip on passenger front spear moulding only came with mldg.( not seperately.) Too bad mldg is discontinued. You can get the white plastic, rectangle snap over clips from Chevy(cheaper by NAPA by the bag)plus the small round, hole inserts are still GM avail. Also a 1850 W hair dryer wouldn't remove pesky woodgrain decals either, just the messy remover.
I'm kinda hesitant to buff myself, as one slip on wheel, and a very thin mldg. is ruined. Again thanks for your detailed photo info! And yes, the drywall insert would work. But I need a fender T bolt for the front spear clip I broke.

I appreciate the comments on the old girl....... I did not clear coat. They are aluminum so pretty easy to polish up anytime with some Mothers Mag Polish. I had to use the Aircraft stripper and a buffing wheel. Need to replace one piece that a wrinkled with the buffer. The drywall insert is Tom's (Silverfox103) idea not mine. The corner clips are VERY tough to remove without breaking. If you can get to the back and push them out without denting the fender it works well. 3M trim adhesive does wonders to replace the "T" clip in the corner. I thought about drilling out one with no "stud" in it and replacing with something else. A little epoxy would do the trick.

I have TONS of trim if you should bend a piece. PM me if you have issues and I will get a price to you.

Tim
Back to top Go down
saltfevr

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Tim;

Thanks for the quick reply and trim offer! Also ,I appreciate the Mothers Polish tip! Have a Safe & Happy 4th.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 pm

saltfevr wrote:
Tim;

Thanks for the quick reply and trim offer! Also ,I appreciate the Mothers Polish tip! Have a Safe & Happy 4th.

I'll second the Mothers suggestion. Get it on there, but not too thick, and rub it in left to right until a nice black paste forms. Then buff it out with a clean cloth. It shines up VERY nice.
Back to top Go down
saltfevr

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Tim:

I sent you a PM. Mon. July 5.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cosmos366

Cosmos366

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 3:14 pm

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Thread11

Hey Tim, any way to reload these pictures in this thread? I'm new here, just picked up a '92 RMW and I am thinking of doing the same thing you describe in this thread.

Thanks,
Steve
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 10:37 pm

I will try! Thanks allot Photobucket!!
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2023 8:32 pm

Thank you for this very helpful thread as I replace the woodgrain vinyl on my 1996 RMW.

When removing the trim, the clip at the front of the spear broke. It just would not budge, even with the cornering light out. I need to find oneĀ -- does anyone have one for sale? @bigblackbeasst ? Anyone else? Or, does anyone know the part number?

wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ S-l16010
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trim removal and polish....... From other site................   wood trim - Trim removal and polish.......  From other site................ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trim removal and polish....... From other site................
Page 1 of 1