GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Overheating AGAIN!!

Go down 
+11
200OZ
9196RMWNUT
Cadet57
Olds Weighty Eight
phantom 309
BigBlackBeaSSt
brokecello
1phastsswagon
Dutch Pete
jayoldschool
Sprocket
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Overheating AGAIN!! Empty
PostSubject: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 9:02 am

So I have to commute to work in my personal vehicle again and on my maiden voyage to work, I overheated and had to leave my car in a parking lot. Most of you will recall I recently replaced my T-stat (and sheared a bolt off in the process). That was maybe a month and a few hundred miles ago......

The radiator is holding pressure and the overflow tank, no leaks visible. So either the new t-stat is bad or the waterpump. Guess I'll wait til it cools pop the cap and see if the pump is working.....grrrrr.

Worst part is I'm supposed to go to Miami and look at a wagon tonight, grrrrr.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 9:10 am

Sounds like a bad thermostat to me!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 9:25 am

yeah right? but it's a brand new AC/Delco about a month old.....
Probably just take the damn thing out, it's Florida afterall, don't really need it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 9:30 am

Morning John,you havent noticed any changes in the engine?You didnt see any junk in the water
or antifreeze did you?
Jim
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 11:18 am

You'll get better mileage with the thermostat. Lower emissions, too (not that it matters in FL, of course).

Maybe it still has air in it?

You can check the thermostat easily in a pan of water on the stove.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 11:34 am

went a picked it up and drove the last 1.5 miles to the office. temp went from cool to 250 in about a mile. then it dropped to 220 or so and crept back up. think it's not opening all the way or I have a blockage.....or something.

I hope it's a quick fix, I got a sub 1K wagon to go look at tonight.

Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 12:20 pm

sounds like a faulty T-stat. Better take it out for now.
Pete
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Probably just take the damn thing out, it's Florida afterall, don't really need it.

WRONG!! Running without a thermostat is a BAD Idea. A thermostat is used to slow down water/coolant as it travels through the radiator.Without having one installed the water/coolant is not slowed down enough to be properly cooled as it travels through the system resulting in hotter temps, and over heating
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 3:01 pm

I got one of those failsafe t-stats when I got fed up with getting crappy ones from Advance. It was like $13 but worked.

Few extra bucks saves a load of hassle.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 3:20 pm

I had this prob when I first bought the OCC. Finally figured out it was the rad. Took it out and when I touched the fins...they crumbled to dust. New alum rad from AZone fixed the issue for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I got one of those failsafe t-stats when I got fed up with getting crappy ones from Advance. It was like $13 but worked.

Few extra bucks saves a load of hassle.

I order one at Autozone and put it in last week. Good insurance.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 3:59 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
You'll get better mileage with the thermostat. Lower emissions, too (not that it matters in FL, of course).

Maybe it still has air in it?

You can check the thermostat easily in a pan of water on the stove.

Why would a cooler running engine decrease gas mileage? I put a 160 stat in my 92 l03 and got 26 on the hwy???
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:00 pm

1phastsswagon wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

WRONG!! Running without a thermostat is a BAD Idea. A thermostat is used to slow down water/coolant as it travels through the radiator.Without having one installed the water/coolant is not slowed down enough to be properly cooled as it travels through the system resulting in hotter temps, and over heating

I dunno I ran my 70 Blazer for 3 years without and it was NEVER and issue
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:02 pm

Then that blazer had a huge rad in it (3 or 4 row) where it took some time for the coolant to run through it.

You NEVER run with out a tstat theses days with as puny a radiator vehicles have in them
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:18 pm

for a pressurized system it sure blew out alot of water through the overflow bottle.

Just topped it off at the office, it about a gallon of water! Water pump is running fine, so it's either the brand new Delco t-stat or I got a blockage somewhere.

I will be removing the t-stat this eve and see how she runs for a couple of days....with my eye on the temp gauge
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:19 pm

1phastsswagon wrote:
Then that blazer had a huge rad in it (3 or 4 row) where it took some time for the coolant to run through it.

You NEVER run with out a tstat theses days with as puny a radiator vehicles have in them

possibly, it was over 20 years ago....we are going to find out anyway.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Pull out the block plugs, put a hose in the top of the coolant bottle and run the motor. Should help to flush it out.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:22 pm

The rad can still hold pressure and still be bad/blocked...did you check it? Is it the old stock unit? Mine looked fine until I took it out...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Well it ran fine on the way home (35-40mph for 5 miles with some lights - suburban driving)

Temp went up to 190 and the tstat opened and it dropped back to about 180 which is normal.... got home popped hood, no visible leaks, unless I have a pinhole and it's not dripping and over time it goes down to nothing.

After the bad stat, I did find one very small 'pisser' leak in the 1991 only auto climate control metal pipes (since cut completely out of the loop ....no heat or temp control on the AC now), I may have another hard to find one.... Well driving it 5-=60 miles tonight should be a good test ha ha ha.

Just going to bring two gallon jugs of water with me Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Always the optimist and there is something wrong somewhere.Your trip will show whats wrong.
Now tell us about this wagon!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:03 pm

half hour after I'm home and it got up to full temp. No wet spots anywhere??? Weird.

wagon has been in accident but it's white and I have a whole white front clip from the 9c1 I parted.....Girl didn't call me back might be gone already...we shall see.

Actually, Nick found it and threw me the bone, lol.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:21 pm

wet spots,. throwing the bone,.what kinda thread is this anyway???

Nick Wink
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 7:04 am

Well I drove the car about 75-80 miles last night.

It was fine in rush hour on I-95 stop and go for 25 miles (suuuuuucccccckkkkkkedd).
went to dinner and fine after that. drove 10 miles parked and walked around the Hollywood Broadwalk for an hour (Canadian Watching).

When I got in and started the driving the temp climbed quickly to 240+, I was getting worried, then dropped back to 200 and within 5 minutes was down to 180.
T-stat is coming out after work today.

Never got a call back on the wagon, figure it's gone, but will try again this afternoon....
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:14 am

I love the Hollywood Boardwalk. Great little restaurant called Las Brisas.

Please note that the fat, Speedo-wearing Quebecers that you see do not accurately represent the rest of Canada Wink

Have you ever seen the movie that was shot there? It was a Quebec/Florida co-production. Called La Florida. Very funny.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Is the car really getting hot or is the sending unit/gauge going haywire?

I just replaced the original water pump on my OCC this past weekend because it began leaking from the weep holes. A few times prior to replacement the coolant got low enough to trigger the 'Low Coolant' warning and it still never tried to get hot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:

For the record, that sensor is TS263 and is on the side of the block. Some auto part stores have an incorrect part number for the gauge sensor. Autozone is one of them.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Cadet57 wrote:

For the record, that sensor is TS263 and is on the side of the block. Some auto part stores have an incorrect part number for the gauge sensor. Autozone is one of them.

Dont you know it - They have the temp stuff listed under Temp Switch & or Temp Sensor.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 2:15 pm

1phastsswagon wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:

Dont you know it - They have the temp stuff listed under Temp Switch & or Temp Sensor.

Bingo. For about a year I kept buying a returning the sensors as defective until I finally got my FSM, found the two different sensors and found the correct part number. And that TS263 is valid for ALL TBI cars.
Back to top Go down
9196RMWNUT

9196RMWNUT

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 5:27 pm

I went through the same thing. I replaced the thermostat, that helped a little but still went up and down. Replaced the radiator and it would go longer before it started doing the same thing. I bypassed the heater core and it stopped. I purchased a new heater core and replaced the old one and it started doing it again. The o-rings on one of the quick connects was eaten up really bad. I replaced those and it was running great for about 2 weeks. Now I have a leak from the intake gasket and the drivers side. Replacing it this weekend. Maybe one of the problems I experienced is what you are having. Hope this helps. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Wow thats a lot of problems all at once.Good thing is the isnt too much left to replace.Welcome
to the group and what year is your wagon?Best place to be when you need help with a wagon
problem.
Jim
Back to top Go down
9196RMWNUT

9196RMWNUT

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks for welcoming me. I love this forum and have only been on it a couple of days. I have a 93 Roadmaster Estate Wagon and I love it. This is my 5th wagon. All of the problems occured over about 3-4 months. It just seemed like every time I would get something fixed something else would break. I hope to give and get help here. Thanks again.

Daniel
93 RMW
93 Caprice Wagon
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 2:42 pm

9196RMWNUT wrote:
I went through the same thing. I replaced the thermostat, that helped a little but still went up and down. Replaced the radiator and it would go longer before it started doing the same thing. I bypassed the heater core and it stopped. I purchased a new heater core and replaced the old one and it started doing it again. The o-rings on one of the quick connects was eaten up really bad. I replaced those and it was running great for about 2 weeks. Now I have a leak from the intake gasket and the drivers side. Replacing it this weekend. Maybe one of the problems I experienced is what you are having. Hope this helps. Cool

Not the heater core, I cut that out of the system a month ago when the old T-stat failed and caused a small leak up there.

Water pump is pushing just fine as well. I haven't worked on it yet (only 5 mile drive to work so it just about gets to where the t-stat opens two blocks from my house) as I've been busy all week.
Although in the AM I drive about 10 miles and it's been fine the last 2 mornings...l.

It definitely got hot, cuz it boiled a gallon out and the overflow overflowed all over the pass side fender well.
It has no leaks in the system. I'm guess it's a crappy t-stat.

Should have bought the fail -safe like Nick suggested last time, but that week the extra 10 bucks woulda hurt, now it'll sting a little more....
Back to top Go down
9196RMWNUT

9196RMWNUT

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 3:01 pm

I had to fix my heater core because it was 27 degrees here this morning and I have a long commute. You must be in a semi warm climate, at least!!

My water pump seems to be ok right now....I guess it's waiting for me to fix the intake gaskets before it dies!! Be grateful it's the thermostat because that's a 10 minute fix tops!!!

Well keep an eye on the intake gaskets. That seems to be a common thing on these babies once they reach a certain point. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 7:26 am

9196RMWNUT wrote:
You must be in a semi warm climate, at least!!

Well Monday night at 7PM I was working on the car in shorts with no shirt or shoes..... What a Face

I was outta town over the weekend, so it sat, but after 4 days of driving around praying the t-stat would open (it always did around 230!), I fixed it.

I went to buy a failsafe and Advance didn't have one, so I pulled the old one out, took out the dremel and cut the spring and pulled the plunger out and put it back in. That's fail safe! I figured I still have the flow restriction to slow the flow.

Car runs great and at full temp it now runs about 150 in low 70 degree weather. I'll take it!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 7:59 am

My NEW fail safe is supposed to run at 180* and does on surface roads or when left idleing. On the highway it runs at 140*. This tells me IT IS NOT WORKING RIGHT!!!!! It is letting fluid buy all the time. We will see if they stand behind their $21 thermostat!!!
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 8:16 am

I've never had good luck with "fail safe" t-stats, they all seem to go into fail safe mode for good with in a few months, or even weeks of installation.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 8:25 am

that's why I made my own, hee hee hee

For me in FL I don't really need one anyway, I'm sure I'd run even cooler if I put the proper coolant percentage back in (I'm probably 80% water at this point).
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 8:46 am

Be careful running low temps, the system may not go into closed loop if the coolant temperature is not high enough.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 am

drill a 3/8ths hole thru the stat next time,.that helps,. also lets bubbles by if you do have a head gasket just starting to leak,.big diesels have a small rubber line coming off the front of the head by the t-stat usually,. and it's to bleed off steam bubbles from really hard pulling or cavitation bubbles from sonic vibrations on the cylinder liners,..

nick
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 1:15 pm

I got off the phone with Fail Safe (Motorad) out of Niagra Falls, NY earlier. What a bunch of idiots. They had 100 questions about why, how, when trying VERY hard to find a reason not to replace the unit and to blame my car for their failure. I told them either replace it I will do so with another vendor and NEVER use there product again. They are sending me a new one. If it fails I will return it to AutoZone. It supposedly had a lifetime warranty on it.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Be careful running low temps, the system may not go into closed loop if the coolant temperature is not high enough.

i did some poking around thirdgen.org and I saw anything over 105 F on the coolant temp should kick it closed....
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Sprocket it that for an LT1?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 pm

it's an L03 and I think Fred called it with it staying in open loop. Seems to be really thirsty, but I need to fill up and verify mileage.....160 tstat here I come.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:39 pm

With my 160 tstat the car stays about 1/4 on the temp gauge at all times. I might get a 180 just to get it warmer. I feel like it's thirstier than normal....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:47 pm

You also do not get the oil up to temp, and the water is not cooked out. This results in poor viscosity, short oil life, and therfore short engine life.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Stingroo wrote:
With my 160 tstat the car stays about 1/4 on the temp gauge at all times. I might get a 180 just to get it warmer. I feel like it's thirstier than normal....

that's just your right foot. I've been running a 160 in RUby for 30K and the fuel economy is the same as it was/is in the other two L03s.
Yes, on the Caprice it stays on 1/4 at 160.

I did notice on the 160 I bought today it has a check valve on the plunger....interesting. It's about 1/8 diameter hole which will be pressed closed by the flow direction.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Wow, that is crazy cold for a Gen 1 small block.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Yea I want mine running at 180 all the time.Oil gets black quick due to contaminents not being
able to get hot enough otherwise.Inside of engine gets that really black coating too.
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 10:52 pm

My right foot, you say?

No... no.... Not me, never. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Al H.

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 5:50 am

Sprocket wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

that's just your right foot. I've been running a 160 in RUby for 30K and the fuel economy is the same as it was/is in the other two L03s.
Yes, on the Caprice it stays on 1/4 at 160.

I did notice on the 160 I bought today it has a check valve on the plunger....interesting. It's about 1/8 diameter hole which will be pressed closed by the flow direction.

Is that an air bleeder valve?
If it is one it allows trapped air in the block to pass through the thermostat and be released from the system.
The old school method was to drill about an 1/8" hole in the outer edge of the thermostat, I still do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!   Overheating AGAIN!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overheating AGAIN!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next