GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NEW PHOTOS!

Go down 
+2
81X11
roadsurfer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
roadsurfer

NEW PHOTOS! Empty
PostSubject: NEW PHOTOS!    NEW PHOTOS! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 10:32 am

hello,

i joined the forum last year when i bought my 1994 RMW, and posted several times with questions
but i never had any photos to share. finally i do. not many, but here they are.
i think it is amusing that we all know exactly what these cars look like inside and out, but never
get tired of seeing pictures of them. and if you are like me, you get a small rush when you happen to
spy another one in traffic somewhere. i included the photo of the rear cargo area because i
love sleeping in it on road trips. for me, the height of luxury travel is to have my girlfriend be driving on the
highway while i am resting in the rear, stretched out fully.

mine is in good condition with 100k on it and was flawless for awhile, until i had to replace the
ac compressor, distributor and water pump (while i was at it.) i have learned SO much from this forum
about this car and it gave me great confidence in making repairs. thanks so much. there is a downside to the forum though. when i randomly skim through all the many previous postings, i see how many different things can go wrong with these cars. i tried to console myself by saying "oh, my car runs so beautifully, THAT will never happen to THIS car..." until two days ago when it felt like the transmission was slipping when it tried to get into
third gear or above. i ended up having it towed home.

i have seen cutaway images of the inside of a transmission and find the sight mysterious and horrifying! what
the hell are all those tiny channels and passages! i wouldn't dream of doing a repair on one, so i guess this
could end up costing me some money. the transmission was replaced by the previous owner
so this one only has 50k on it and the fluid is full and clean.
are there any simple solutions to this problem?

oh, and i have an oil leak at my front crankshaft seal. i have never seen any postings where someone mentioned changing the seal. is that because it is really difficult? i replaced the water pump seal and the distributor seal already.

here are the new photos [IMG]http//i1129.p please tell me if the photo posting worked.
i had a problem the first time i tried it. thanks a million,

anthony ackrill, gainesville, florida
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

NEW PHOTOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW PHOTOS!    NEW PHOTOS! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 10:57 am

Shoot....the pics are not showing up for me.

As for the cam seal, if it's an LT1, the one behind the water pump it's a common issue, but you have to take a lot off to get at it.

For the transmission, I would change the fluid and filter first before doing a full replacement. Transmissions are a mystery to me as well.

Good luck!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

NEW PHOTOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW PHOTOS!    NEW PHOTOS! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Research a reputable local transmission shop and take it for diagnosis. Between the standard line pressure check and plugging into the vehicle diagnostic port, they should be able to provide a reasonable assement.

On your photos, you cut the link. It should start with "[IMG ]http//" and end with "[/IMG ]" with the link sandwiched between the tags. (I have an extra space in my example tags to effectively disable them.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
MarkH

MarkH

NEW PHOTOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW PHOTOS!    NEW PHOTOS! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 3:50 pm

before you spend money on the trans, do a diagnostic on it using the climate control. I was having a similar issue with my car hesitating, not wanting to shift and replaced the tranny filter, egr, pvc valves and it ended up being the water pump temp sensor was bad! https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t4608p40-misfires-sputters-surges-etc-runs-like-a-microwaved-elephant-turd
Just a thought... good luck and keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
http://DesignsbyMarkonline.net
95BRMW

95BRMW

NEW PHOTOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW PHOTOS!    NEW PHOTOS! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 4:26 pm

+1 on the trans fluid change. I bought my Caprice 9C1 cheap because it had a failing trans that slipped a lot. I flushed the fluid, changed the filter and it feels like one of the strongest transmissions in my fleet.
Back to top Go down

NEW PHOTOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW PHOTOS!    NEW PHOTOS! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 4:32 pm

And quite a fleet it it too!Exhaust all the cheap and easy transmission fixes first.Use your climate
control like MarkH said and chances are its something simple.Your trans was rebuilt 50000 miles
ago and the car is 18 years old.Dont let all the different failures scare you as these were from
a large group of wagons.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

NEW PHOTOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW PHOTOS!    NEW PHOTOS! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
Research a reputable local transmission shop and take it for diagnosis. Between the standard line pressure check and plugging into the vehicle diagnostic port, they should be able to provide a reasonable assement.

On your photos, you cut the link. It should start with "[IMG ]http//" and end with "[/IMG ]" with the link sandwiched between the tags. (I have an extra space in my example tags to effectively disable them.)

Just a quick question here, When you said plug into the diagnostic port,are there two ports,one for the engine and one for the transmission?
thanks, ed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NEW PHOTOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW PHOTOS!    NEW PHOTOS! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW PHOTOS!
Page 1 of 1