GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?

Go down 
+5
Deadmanonduty
BigBlackBeaSSt
Fred Kiehl
Krzdimond
Acoustic Blasphemy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Acoustic Blasphemy

Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Empty
PostSubject: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 6:49 am

Greetings from Cape Cold:

Now I'm looking for shock absorber's for my 1995 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. I've checked on Rock Auto Parts online, but can't seem to determine which will fit my vehicle. Some are labeled "not for Station Wagon" so I'll obviously avoid them. Can anyone tell me what the acronyms are, and what I should look for for the front and back shocks? I've seen RR, which I'm assuming is Right Rear? But, could not find a RL (right left), so I could be completely off base.

I'm a total novice, so if someone could spell it out for me, I'd be grateful! Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Gary
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 7:52 am

Gary, it depends on what kind of ride you are looking for.

No matter what kind of ride you want, someone here has already done it and can give you part numbers.

For a slightly firmer ride (not harsh) I would go with the Monroe 550012 for the fronts and 550013 for the rear. Then add the Airlift bags.

Keeping the stock air ride? That requires different rear shocks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 8:25 am

I second Robert's recommendation above me.

There are also the KYB shocks which are a little less firm than those Monroes above.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 8:52 am

When you are changing the front shocks, you have 3 choices of removal. 1. fight with the shaft, and the nut on the top using your current tools. 2. get a set of "through sockets" from Harbor Freight ($20), so that you can grab the top of the shaft with the socket in place. 3. put a long socket over the end of the shaft/nut, and bend back and forth until the shaft breaks off.

Since you are a novice, in the rust belt, probably do not have many tools, and the nut is probably rusted in place, #3 may be your best bet. The "through the socket" set might still be of interest to you for tightening the nut on the top. Consider putting a little anti-sieze compound on the threads of the shaft when reassembling.

The shocks are the same for both sides so there is no right left (RL), only front rear. The RR is rear, FR is front.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 10:04 am

I had the Monroe shocks - too stiff for my taste, But I did have the f-body sway bar on at the time so I may be giving them a bad wrap. I love my Bilsteins. Superior to the Monroe's in every way. I also have air bags in the my rear springs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bilstein, "Soft", Heavy Duty

These were originally intended for the 91-96 Caprices. They are considered to be softer than the Sport shocks. Many places claim the Sports to work better with the stock springs.

Front

Rear

Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 10:51 am

break that front shock mount bolt off for sure. super easy

I'd suggest Bilstein shocks for sure. Love mine, but they are stiffer than the float-boat stock ride.
Back to top Go down
Acoustic Blasphemy

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Okay, plenty of options!

Thanks, everyone. This will definitely get me started shopping.

The Rust Belt, love it! We also call it the People's Republic of MA, Elbow Land, MA**hole, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 2:57 pm

I always use to use the impact wrench method and before that I always clamped my visegrip to
the top and a boxend wrench on the nut.Slow but it works.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Acoustic Blasphemy

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Should there be an air ride on mine? I'm not seeing it underneath, but I also don't know what I'm looking for.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 7:05 pm

The air ride compressor is behind the wheelhouse extension on the driver's side, if you have one.
Back to top Go down
Acoustic Blasphemy

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks, again!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 7:59 am

Just look at your SPID sticker (open your tailgate and it's on the right side of the body under there) and look for the G67 RPO.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm

I have Monroe Severe Service shocks on the front of my car, and with the lower profile Impala wheels, it's too stiff. I plan to swap to KYB's when funds allow.

One point though, I managed to have not one but TWO flats in one day and ended up driving with the stock size 15-inch wheels and tires on the front to the tire store, and with the taller tires the ride was much less harsh. If you don't have lower profile tires on your car the Monroe's may be fine. The price is very fair for them.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 5:39 pm

I have the monroe sever service shocks on the front if my Caprice wagon and the bilsteins on the front of my roadmaster. Both cars have the stock rear ones for now. The monroe ones do have a pretty harsh ride, but not bad enough for me to regret installing them. I love the bilsteins on my RMW, they provide a real nice ride and real good handling around corners. If you can afford those, go with them. The bilsteins were probably one of the best things I bought for that car.
Back to top Go down
Acoustic Blasphemy

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 8:13 pm

Loads of advice, thanks one and all!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:28 pm

I have the Monroes on all 4 corners, imp wheels with the 255/50/17 tires AND the airlift bags in. STILL rides like the SS Minnow.

Now, if I could just get it to ride like the wife's G8 GT....
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 9:49 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on this blog, I went on a search.
My wife drove the wagon for the first time last night. When she came home, I asked her how it was; she replied, "I almost got seasick from the body sway." SO, -----
when I saw this post, I went looking.
Bottom line: ordered new Bilstein shocks fromAmazon. com. Total: $310.16
BUT THEN ---- I kept looking and found this source:

Order Summary

product unit price qty price action
CHEVROLET Full Size: Caprice Classic, Caprice, Impala (B46-0929 - HD) (REAR RIGHT&LEFT) $62.95 $125.90

CHEVROLET Full Size: Caprice Classic, Caprice, Impala (B46-1104 - HD) (FRONT RIGHT&LEFT) $85.80 $171.60

Sub Total: $297.50

This is from: Turner Motorsport. You can order them on-line by going to:
http:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 am

You will love the Bilsteins, but remember there are softer and stiffer versions. I like the softer Bilstein personally! Its firm, but not harsh.
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Here are the ones from the source that I mentioned above.

Bilstein Heavy Duty (HD) Shocks - Recommended shock for most applications, designed to work with the springs that came with your vehicle. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without sacrificing ride comfort.
QTY Part # List Price (per shock) Sale Price (per shock) Notes

B46-0929-H0 (REAR RIGHT&LEFT) $130.00 $62.95 RWD, Including Wagon RWD

B46-1104-H0 (FRONT RIGHT&LEFT) $132.00 $85.80 RWD, Including Wagon

B46-1516-H0 (FRONT RIGHT&LEFT) $132.00 $85.80 RWD; Wagon RWD; Except Wagon

B46-1517-H0 (REAR RIGHT&LEFT) $126.00 $81.90 RWD; Except Wagon
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:28 pm

if you dig deeper you will find the softer and stiffer part numbers somewhere. I searched a long time before I found them when i ordered mine.
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 3:07 am

B46-0929-H0 (REAR RIGHT&LEFT) $130.00 $62.95 RWD, Including Wagon RWD

B46-1104-H0 (FRONT RIGHT&LEFT) $132.00 $85.80 RWD, Including Wagon

Are the sport/stiffer of those listed and are the ones I run and actually got them from Turner motorsports.

The B46-1516-H0 (FRONT RIGHT&LEFT) $132.00 $85.80 RWD; Wagon RWD; Except Wagon

B46-1517-H0 (REAR RIGHT&LEFT) $126.00 $81.90 RWD; Except Wagon are the HD versions which are a little softer.
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 1:07 pm

I don't know which is softer or stiffer, but when I inquired, I was told that the 1516 and 1517 versions were intended for the Impala SS. Maybe that is where the difference lies?
I bought and installed the 0929's on the rear and the 1104's on the front.
I am very happy with the improvement in the ride quality, but I also added the
BMR HD front stabilizer bar at the same time! So, ride improvement had this contributing factor as well....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?   Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shocks for '95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon?
Page 1 of 1