GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Plastic creaks and rattles?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Plastic creaks and rattles? Empty
PostSubject: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 10:57 am

Anyone got some good ideas on how to quiet down some dash noises? That tape with the fuzzy backing possibly?

One of my to-do's over the holiday vacation is to try to chase down and quiet up some niggling rattles in the dash. I'm going to zip-tie up a bunch of wiring and clean up the area around the steering column and behind the new gauge cluster. Possibly put something between the cluster and the upper dash, where they touch I have a new creaking sound....and it's going bye-bye!

I know there are lots of tricks out there. Would like to hear what's worked for you in the past.

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Make sure all your screws are tight and your panels fit as intended.Look for any polished areas
between panels and isolate.Works for me.
Jim
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 3:07 pm

It is that rust bolt on your gas tank strap!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Hilarious Tim,I hadnt thought of that rusty bolt.
Jim
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 3:14 pm

But Mike don't even think about it. I am sure that is NOT it......... What a Face
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 3:35 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
But Mike don't even think about it. I am sure that is NOT it......... What a Face

There is no rust on that bolt anymore....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Why am I not surprised?
Jim
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 4:14 pm

81X11 wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

LOL....... You sir bring OCD to a new level!!!! I knew I could urge you into it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 4:59 pm

81X11 wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

No pic no proof.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 7:46 pm

Come on Ray,as bad as Mike is about his wagon you know he went out and sanded that bolt.
Mike then polished it before spraying clear on said bolt and then applied wax with a tiny buffer.
Jim
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 11:44 pm

Dum Dum tape works good..... Although I have no idea what the official name is, but it's black, gooey, messy, rubbery "tape". I used it at the dealerships to quiet down door panels, dash boards, and any thing else that needed to be silenced or sealed up. I have a bunch here still, If you want some I'll send it to you, but you won't have it for a week or so. LMK.

Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 8:38 am

I removed all of the nasty degraded foam on the AC / heat vents and replaced it with a very dense, fairly firm closed cell foam. This gave the fascia much more resistance when installing, but it got rid of the rattles.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 9:34 am

I've noticed that depressing the VOL ^ button has a profound affect on squeaks & rattles. lol!

Plastic creaks and rattles? DSC00452

Actually, the most annoying squeak I have is the driver side door panel. Just placing my arm on the arm rest quiets it down. I need to fix that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 12:28 am

Pulled the dash apart, zip-tied up a lot of wiring and added some soft-back tape from a pack of Velcro I got at Wal-Mart. Much better!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 11:53 am

By far the most annoying squeak I have ever had turned out to be the easiest to fix.All I had to
do was open the passenger side front door and kick her out of the car.No more squeak.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 5:06 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
By far the most annoying squeak I have ever had turned out to be the easiest to fix.All I had to
do was open the passenger side front door and kick her out of the car.No more squeak.
Jim

lol! Bet someone else will pick up that very same squeak somewhere along the way. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 6:35 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
Flasheroo wrote:
Jim

lol! Bet someone else will pick up that very same squeak somewhere along the way. Razz
If she's squeaking she's not moist enough,. cyclops

nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 6:41 pm

Not even going to go near that one.But we would be talking about a completely different sound .
Jim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plastic creaks and rattles?   Plastic creaks and rattles? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plastic creaks and rattles?
Page 1 of 1