GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heater core!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 4:52 pm

I had smoke coming out the vents, took it to a mechanic and he said it was the heater core. 80 buck for the part 260 in labor with antifreeze it would be 3 hundred something. I went out and got A heater core for 85 bucks and took only two hours.

What im trying to say is, its so easy do it your self. plus its my first heater core job.
Back to top Go down

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 5:33 pm

I'll be doing mine here in a couple weeks too. It's on the "Using my whole tax refund for wagon stuff" list.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Its really not that bad of a job, even easier if you pull the passenger seat. Just gotta make sure that box seals up or come summer you'll have a wet carpet.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 6:28 pm

I had a lot of trouble with that screw that was up against the firewall, didn't fit any usual wrench sizes, and was in a space too narrow to fit a crescent wrench.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 8:20 pm

ha ha. I know that screw. I didnt put it back. I know I should to keep a good seal. It was hard to put the cover back on because of all the new wires for the blower fan, someone added a switch.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 8:23 pm

I had to use a 1/4" swivel head on that one, taped the screw onto it until it got started. For the one that is up against the padding I used an open end wrench from a carb tune up kit.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 8:36 pm

I left it off too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Used a flex drive on a ratcheting screw driver.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:11 pm

i left it off too. funny thing is on tbi it's different size than LT1 cars. One was 5.5 mm the other was 6mm. I can't recall which was which anymore.... I've done one each...

ditto on taking out the passenger seat. All the difference in the world and only 6 bolts/nuts...
Back to top Go down

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 12:43 am

Congrats on fixing it yourself Carl,feels pretty damn good dont it?
Jim
Back to top Go down

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:32 am

Feels great. thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 10:06 am

The TBI wrench size is 7mm. I use a long 1/4 drive socket, short socket to screwdriver adapter, and an 8mm battery terminal ratchet (fits the hex screwdriver bit) for the screw against the firewall. You should put both of the screws in, or you will have a wet carpet when you use the AC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heater core! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater core!   Heater core! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heater core!
Page 1 of 1