GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?

Go down 
+3
Al H.
Lynol
Fred Kiehl
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Empty
PostSubject: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:53 am

Hello. Im removing the air pump and noticed the thermac line went in where the air pump junk went to. Is it needed? Under the EGR is the pump line Im going to remove, but when I removed the thermac on the caprice it ran rough. anyone else removed the thermac?

one more thing. On the caprice I painted the engine chevy red and wanted to know some nice Buick engine colors, just not black.

A photo I found on the 3rd gen site. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 7:45 am

I believe mine is capped off there. I'll snap a pic of my engine bay for you now.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 8:45 am

If you do not cap it off, you will get the symptoms of a vacuum leak. (it is a vacuum leak) I beleive the line is part of the vacuum manifold and may operate a couple of other things as well. Just capping it off, may cause some other issues as well. If I remember correctly mine is not capped off, but I do have a cap on the "T" where the vacuum manifold goes (went) to the Air Injection control valve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 8:52 am

I'll go snap a pic of mine right now, Dad and I replaced a bunch of the vacuum lines when I cleaned the EGR passages, since many of them broke (damn brittle lines..)
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:03 am

Do you not need the air pump to pass emissions inspection in NYC?
Also, don't you need the Thermac hooked up for proper cold engine warm up?

Last edited by Lynol on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:06 am

Okay, mine isn't capped off there.

Back to top Go down
Al H.

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:26 am

The color you see most often in later models is the Buick Late Red engine color and is most identified with them IMO.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That engine sure is pretty.

1939-40 Buick Charcoal Gray
1933-38 Buick Green
1922-30 Buick Early Green
1953-65 Buick Late Green
1941 only Buick Early Red
1966-? Buick Late Red
1942-52, & 53 Specials Buick Turquoise

Hope this helps,

Allan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Nice red. almost orange.

I pass my own car lol.

I have to recheck the thermac line, I know it gos by the egr and is connected to the air line. Double check everything, ill snap a pic of what im doing.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Here's the color used from the early '50's to the mid '60s on the Nailheads.

Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:59 pm

The fitting "Thermac" goes to the diverter valve for the heater, if you have it. It has a one way valve in it, to keep vacuum in the line at low vacuum throttle settings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 7:57 pm

That turquoisey color was the one on I was thinkin'. Add a pair of finned and polished aluminum valve covers and you got a hot rod look!
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:01 pm

OK!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Oh good lowered - that baby is HOT!

Excellent work. Love those.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Gotta add those cool spark plug side covers that were on the 322!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:32 pm

I got to go with that green. waiting for the rain to stop so I can get started.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Always liked the nailheads and that quirky head configuration.The turquoise engine with the chrome and finns would be my choice for a hotrod restorod.That gorgeous 455 would be my
choice if gas wasnt so damn high and unleaded.
Jim
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 9:31 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 am

Looking for cheep finned valve covers, but the hold up was I bought real spoke rims, size 14, but there painted white and the tires are size 60 high. bit of a lowrider look, but if I put 70 high with white walls might look better. 100 buck is a steal. maybe someone steal them lol. plus Im taking the paint off them and my buick caps fit for the center caps, Added pics in the tire section btw.

I was cleaning the motor for paint and trying to find the oil sending unit. my dash reads low oil. where is it? on top of the oil filter?
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:10 pm

are they center bolt VALVE COVERS? if so i bought a pair for 50 bucks from autozone look up part#Spectre 5428 Engine Kit Small Block Chevy Center Bolt Chrome 1 Kit in amazon .com the tbi bolt was bent on mine but it worked for my 1992 350tbi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?   Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dressing up the buick engine, removing air pump. but the Thermac?
Page 1 of 1