GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good junkyard day, got some clusters

Go down 
+2
95BRMW
Lynol
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynol

Lynol

Good junkyard day, got some clusters Empty
PostSubject: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 11:55 am

Went yarding with Dave up in CT and for the first time in a long time, we found a lot of things we were looking for. Could have used some more time, had to leave some things. We found a '91 Caprice LTZ and a '91 Caprice 9C1! I grabbed the clusters out of each one, since I've never actually seen one, and Dave got the precious LTZ hood ornament! The LTZ had 68,000 mile on it, and the 9C1 had 180,000. I noticed the cluster in the LTZ says "Certified" like the 9C1... did someone replace this cluster at some point or are the 9C1 and LTZ cluster's the same? Oh, and I also grabbed everything I could think of off the 9C1's 350 that was police specific. Got me some nice green hoses, and hopefully whatever I need for the higher output engine stuff (well, besides the cam).
Good junkyard day, got some clusters 000_0010
Oh, and I also grabbed the LTZ blank off the dash. I know it's useless for the wagons, but who know what I'll end up owning someday. If I had more time, tools and $$ I'd have grabbed that 3.42 posi in that sucker.
Good junkyard day, got some clusters 000_0011
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Oh and here's another good question; will the 9C1 and LTZ clusters work in a regular Caprice?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Yes, with mods.

You'd also need the dash surround from the car if you wanted to put the cluster in.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:12 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Yes, with mods.

You'd also need the dash surround from the car if you wanted to put the cluster in.
$HIT! I knew there was some reason that wouldn't work! It's because of the idiot lights, right??
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:18 pm

Oh yeah, a week after selling my Red Caprice, I finally found the steering wheel i had been looking for since I bought the car. Grabbed the clock-spring too.
Good junkyard day, got some clusters 000_0012
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Yep, the idiot lights are part of the cluster as it is, and if you notice those 9c1 clusters are physically wider.

You can also use a TBI RMW/S cluster in its place for full analog gauges, or of course, an OCC cluster.

You should also be able to plug one of those into your OCC too, but lord knows why you would, (IMO the OCC clusters are the best looking of the bunch).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Steering wheel looks pretty good Lionel,was it costly?
Jim
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Here's a few pics from the trip

91 9C1
Good junkyard day, got some clusters Photobucket-5742-1328548486887

9C1 door panel
Good junkyard day, got some clusters Photobucket-5668-1328548575810

Hood of the LTZ
Good junkyard day, got some clusters Photobucket-5697-1328548438877

This thing looked cool, had Chevy tail lights
Good junkyard day, got some clusters Photobucket-4726-1328548540393

Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:49 pm

That 9C1 looks to be pretty clean, solid and complete. Sucks to see something like that scrapped when there are vehicles that look 100 times worse still running around.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Steering wheel was $40 I think with bag and clockspring. Figured I'd buy it now and save it for some day in the future I own another Caprice with a gray interior. Good to know the cluster will fit into an OCC, not that I'm going to do that to my current OCC, but you never know what May turn up in the future. Wish I'd had grabbed those dash bezels...
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
That 9C1 looks to be pretty clean, solid and complete. Sucks to see something like that scrapped when there are vehicles that look 100 times worse still running around.
That 9C1 had a bunch of motor work done to it recently. Had a bunch of new looking parts and gaskets. Was clean inside for a police car. The underside was rusty though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Thats what I thought too.Car looked like it was taken care of and then ends up in the JY well
before its time.
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 pm

What's up with that mini ash tray on that door panel? My car doesn't have those...

Odd.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Stingroo wrote:
What's up with that mini ash tray on that door panel? My car doesn't have those...

Odd.
That was a 9C1 specific thing (or at least, it's mentioned in the 9C1 brochure) I have seen that twice. It uses the same ash trays that you find in the rear doors, only with it's own special mounting bracket that gets shoved in the door panel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:30 pm

That's interesting. I've never spotted a TBI 9C1 in the yards with any sort of complete interior. The only one I've ever found was completely gutted to hell and back and had nothing in it but the rubber floor.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Stingroo wrote:
That's interesting. I've never spotted a TBI 9C1 in the yards with any sort of complete interior. The only one I've ever found was completely gutted to hell and back and had nothing in it but the rubber floor.
Yeah this one was pretty complete before we got to it... lol. Wanted to take the newish rear tires and rubber floor as it was in excellent shape, but we ran out of time just as we got the seats out. I never expected to see a TBI 9C1 in a yard around here, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Speaking of the rubber floor mat, I think that they are a worse deal than carpeting. When I took mine out, there was a puddle of water from the AC pan underneath it that you'd never notice because the rubber doesn't breathe. At least the carpet can let the wetness evaporate somewhat, before it finally starts rusting the floorpan.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:57 pm

jimbeau wrote:
Speaking of the rubber floor mat, I think that they are a worse deal than carpeting. When I took mine out, there was a puddle of water from the AC pan underneath it that you'd never notice because the rubber doesn't breathe. At least the carpet can let the wetness evaporate somewhat, before it finally starts rusting the floorpan.
Yeah, true. Probably why the floor pan was rusted!
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 3:22 pm

I like (used loosely) the P71 hubcaps on the 9C1. Guess someone at the maintenance department got a little confused
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Some nice stuff! I like that LTZ hood emblem. Never seen it before! Sounds like a good day at the yards!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good junkyard day, got some clusters   Good junkyard day, got some clusters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good junkyard day, got some clusters
Page 1 of 1