GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

restoring headlights?

Go down 
+2
Krzdimond
sherlock9c1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sherlock9c1

restoring headlights? Empty
PostSubject: restoring headlights?   restoring headlights? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 5:18 pm

I have a 99 mopar minivan whose headlights, frankly, suck. The surface is rough and the lenses are quite cloudy. I've tried some minor buffing with Meguiar's plast-X (helped some); and used Alien Liquid Research's product as well (helped some more, but it's way oversold on its capabilities, IMO), but still the lenses are nowhere near clear.

I've seen guys polish their headlights back to new-looking, only to have sanded off the protective outer coating that both protected the plastic underneath and blocked UV. So once they start sanding, they're committed for life. Not a great solution in my opinion.

I've been wondering if there was a way to smooth out the lens (sanding, buffing, whatever), and then shoot some good quality clearcoat on the outside to preserve the plastic. Anyone been down this road?

I've tried most of the headlight tricks on this van and the headlights are still crap. Even the Syracuse vans that are in the junkyard have crap headlights, which speaks volumes about how poor the materials in these lights are. So I'm soliciting thoughts and advice. What have you tried?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: restoring headlights?   restoring headlights? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:31 pm

Joel, maybe not what you want to hear, but this is what I do:

Look at the light and make a determination as to how bad they REALLY are.

Taking it from your post, I assume that these are nice and yellow, faded and cloudy.

On to part 2. Start with 2000 grit wet/dry (MUST use a sanding block) and sand to about 80% clear. Then follow with 3000 grit wet/dry (same block) to about 90-95%.

Now comes the fun part. I use the same polish for paint that I do on the plastic. Polish with a "powerball" to 99-100%. Finish with a good wax and you're done. This process is good for about 6-12 months down here in GA. as I wax the lights right along the car (wax has an SPF of 65)

I am not concerned with the UV coating as I gain a repeat customer. BTW, the protective coating has already failed (hence the fading/ clouding)

*YMMV*
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: restoring headlights?   restoring headlights? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:35 pm

the bald fat lazy guy here with my experience,. bought the kit for my dually,.tired right away of the 10,000grit rub forever shit paper,. got the 8" polisher,. added polishing compound,. 15mins later lights looked great,. used regular car wax like bob says,. still look good,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: restoring headlights?   restoring headlights? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 8:36 am

Here is what I do...some lenses can be polished out...but some need more attention.

I used to have a set of lenses I would take around to show @ used car lots for side work...I also offered a lifetime guarantee. Once to you do this, it is VERY easy to maintain them and refresh them should something happen.

wet sand with 600/800/1000/1500

Really make sure you completely sand the lens with each grit. They key is to achieve an even surface and to remove all the outer layer of the yellowish lens.

If you can remove the lens from the car...good..if not, you will need to tape off the areas around it. Have your hood open and put big towels over your fenders.

clean and tack the lens and try to do this in a garage or out of the wind (lol)

Buy a can of high quality NON YELLOWING spray clear

2 even coats should be fine. Not too thick...and practice on something before you spray your lens. If you get runs...you have to wait and sand them back out. Any imperfections will show once you turn on your lights.

Let the clear dry and wet sand with 2000 grit. Then buff it out with by hand or a low speed polisher. Let the compound do the work...otherwise you will burn through all that nice clear.

Usually I can skip this stage as (and you can too if you can spray well and leave no orange peel)

Once I get home tomorrow night I can post up the clear I use. I have done this on A LOT of cars and even on my wife's Civic. It holds up very well. If you travel a lot and get bugs on the lens...(and you have had the lights on and heated up the lens) let it cool off before cleaning those bugs off. Lol restoring headlights? Lol

Chris

ps. If you have a set you can ship me Joel...I will do them for free and take pics for a Tech article. I have done many a Mopar minivan's lights. They HAVE to be sanded down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: restoring headlights?   restoring headlights? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 9:07 pm

Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: restoring headlights?   restoring headlights? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:08 pm

If the weather is nice (not raining) Sun afternoon/evening....I will do the headlights on the wife's Gparents van. It is a 2000 Caravan. I'll post up some pics for you Joel.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: restoring headlights?   restoring headlights? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:14 pm

brokecello wrote:
If the weather is nice (not raining) Sun afternoon/evening....I will do the headlights on the wife's Gparents van. It is a 2000 Caravan. I'll post up some pics for you Joel.

Chris

Tech article please! geek
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: restoring headlights?   restoring headlights? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

restoring headlights?
Page 1 of 1