GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Restoring stainless trim???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Restoring stainless trim??? Empty
PostSubject: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Is there a secret to bringing back worn, sandblasted stainless trim? Or do I have to try to find a new or nice used piece?

I have this:
Restoring stainless trim??? GranSportification035Medium

And want THIS!:
Restoring stainless trim??? HPIM2839

Restoring stainless trim??? 684602_507_full

Can one a youz help me out???
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 7:31 pm

we will get Bewbs to distract Frank so you and I can swap your trim with his at wagon fest....

Or you can wet sand your trim with 1500 grit wet dry paper then buff it up on a buffing wheel, you do know that from that point on you will have to drive around with blue masking tape on your trim and lower rear quaters...
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 7:41 pm

buickestate wrote:
we will get Bewbs to distract Frank so you and I can swap your trim with his at wagon fest....

Or you can wet sand your trim with 1500 grit wet dry paper then buff it up on a buffing wheel, you do know that from that point on you will have to drive around with blue masking tape on your trim and lower rear quaters...

Oooh, I like the first option. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:03 pm

buickestate wrote:
you do know that from that point on you will have to drive around with blue masking tape on your trim and lower rear quaters...

LOL! BURRRRRRNNNNNNNN!!!!! Very Happy

lol!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:06 pm

I did this to my WB4 and RMS and it worked well...800 grit to start and worked my way up to 3000 grit. Then I was able to polish it with my smaller handheld DA buffer with some Meguiars #105 Ultra Cut Compound and followed it up with #26 Yellow Wax. Don't use the big boy buffer..lol

Frank did buy a new center piece for his wagon since his old one had holes in it. The outer ones have been "reconditioned" Lol Smile The #26 also works very well on all the black rubber trim and black roof rack area trim. It will not turn it white..and once you get a few coats in...the trim looks so much better.

Chris

Last edited by brokecello on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:08 pm

Chris, got any of that 26 I can try?

You guys really don't want to see me with a buffer. I get splatter EVERYWHERE and the part being buffed still looks like ass... Sad
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:14 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Chris, got any of that 26 I can try?

You guys really don't want to see me with a buffer. I get splatter EVERYWHERE and the part being buffed still looks like ass... Sad

lol, yeah. I got a whole gallon I'm working on. I will bring you some. I can give you some of the compound too. I needed more product when I was doing work for the body shop in KY. Not so much now.

tongue
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 4:31 pm

Mr Bill, I just had a thought about your sand blasted trim, I could bring my sand blaster to wagonfest and we could just sand blast all of your trim. Faster and less effort than buffing up the front peices.... Smile
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 5:08 pm

buickestate wrote:
Mr Bill, I just had a thought about your sand blasted trim, I could bring my sand blaster to wagonfest and we could just sand blast all of your trim. Faster and less effort than buffing up the front peices.... Smile

Wow Pat... You're ON FIRE this week, eh? Wink

lol!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 5:43 pm

Chris, Bring what Chemicals that you don't want and I'll buy whats left of the 105 and 26 from you..... been using Adams and Chemicalguys stuff, just want to try the Meguires pro line.

Pat, wouldn't a sandblaster etch the surface?
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
Chris, Bring what Chemicals that you don't want and I'll buy whats left of the 105 and 26 from you..... been using Adams and Chemicalguys stuff, just want to try the Meguires pro line.

I can give you a lil squirt bottle of both to try! Smile I still do work on the side, so I will need to still keep the rest for now.

Chris
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 10:36 am

with all these chemicals comming to wagonfest, is there a chance you guys would be willing to apply them on my cars to show people how well they work?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 10:39 am

Krzdimond wrote:

Pat, wouldn't a sandblaster etch the surface?

Yes, are you getting it now....? tongue
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 12:38 pm

buickestate wrote:
with all these chemicals comming to wagonfest, is there a chance you guys would be willing to apply them on my cars to show people how well they work?

That's what i'm hoping for, too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Restoring stainless trim???   Restoring stainless trim??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Restoring stainless trim???
Page 1 of 1