GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Official Plasti Dip Thread

Go down 
+2
81X11
lakeffect
6 posters
AuthorMessage

The Official Plasti Dip Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 6:44 pm

For those who don't know how plastidip works:

It's rubberized paint, essentially. I can peel it off whenever I want and the polished finish beneath remains unaffected. I can also (well, I did) peel it off the tires and they also suffer no ill effects.

Now then....

Plasti dipped my wheels. This is only stage one of two. I was initially going to order it all online, but we lost power on campus and I had to do SOMETHING... so I went to Lowe's.

Before:

The Official Plasti Dip Thread 424315_3460128108571_1431987960_3471211_1131305407_n
Freshly polished....

After:

The Official Plasti Dip Thread 429409_3460155029244_1431987960_3471221_959358414_n
Man, I cannot WAIT for paint...

The Official Plasti Dip Thread 422192_3460195590258_1431987960_3471236_1060591189_n
In this pic, I hadn't peeled the overspray off of the tires yet.

The next step is ordering a couple of cans of Plasti Dip Metal flake and spraying it on. When sprayed over the black, it gives the apperance of a gunmetal finish, which will look great after I paint the car. Again, this can all peel off whenever I feel like it and return to polished, or change colors, or change finishes (metallic, matte, gloss, etc.).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Looks good Ray but I still like them better shiny!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 11:35 pm

They'll be shiny when I'm done. Lowe's just didn't have all the supplies I needed. Smile

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 am

The sheep told me that they have an amazing invention out called masking Tape. Rumor is you can also find at Lowe's, right near where you found the other stuff.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 8:29 am

Doesn't work so well. Plasti dip bonds to it, so if you do it, it'll pull up your lines.

The trick to using it like that is to build up a THICK coat, pull the tape off before it dries, and then finish it.

Doesn't work so well for the wheels. Trust me, I tried :p
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:23 am

I liked it bright better as well, but will reserve judgement until you're done. Smile
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:39 am

Yea, with plasti-dip you need to tape off at least a centimeter away from the edge you actually want the break to be. Because it is a rubberized paint, when you peel away the tape, it will stick to the tape and "rip" away at the seam. Thick coats, or else you're just stuck with tiny pieces of rubberized overspray that will be a pain to get off. Also, tires are probably not the easiest thing to get plasti-dip off of, considering they're rubber Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 12:54 pm

The trick to getting it off the tires is to spray tire shine on them first.

Comes off nice and easy then. Smile
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 pm

use an exacto knife to make your edge,. duh,.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Good idea... maybe some sort of plastic tool once everything's on it. Although, the small scratches of an xacto knife can probably be eliminated by either not using pressure, or polishing them away. Hmmm....

Just ordered the metalizer today.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Take your wheels off and detail your brakes!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 pm

I plan to when I get home for Spring break. Drums and calipers will be red. Front hubs black.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I plan to when I get home for Spring break. Drums and calipers will be red. Front hubs black.

Ugh. Just cause you have a primer hood doesn't mean you drive a Civic. Black drums, cast paint calipers. IMO, of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Well, yeah true. lol

I forget the car won't be red for long :p
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 4:11 pm

yellow calipers and drums ftw!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 4:17 pm

lol I don't know about yellow. That's a bit too loud. Even for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 4:52 pm

i dunno,. i personally can't get my head aound all this flat black stuff,. i think it,s been overdone,. and quite frankly i think it looks hideous,.but then again i,ve been out of school for a few years,.
jmho,.

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

If I don't like, I can just peel away. That's the beauty of it all really.

They sell plasti dip in red.... and they sell it thinned by the gallon ready to spray. So if I end up not liking the satin black on the car, I have options. Very Happy

Here's a video on doing a car with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8&feature=channel

And here's basically what I'm going for with the wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2INDcL22Twk&feature=channel
Skip to 3:18 to get an idea of what I'm going for.
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 5:58 pm

I like the idea oh adding the handle to the spray can. Looks like it makes things a lot easier....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Yeah I've had one of those for a couple years now. So nice.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Anybody thought about this stuff on some wood grain that could use a little help? I'm wondering about how well it might stick to that vinyl, but I'm intrigued. I also like the thought of being able to undo it...

Right now I'm thinking about maybe their green color that they're advertising as part of a "camo" set. Should be a nice dark color, maybe finished with a bit of their gloss to give a touch of shine?

Take it easy,
-Leland
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 8:53 pm

That's a good idea. If you lay it on thick enough, it will stick.

Go for it and tell us how it works out. Smile
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 11:10 am

We'll see what I can do. I'll post some pics, just need the time for the project. I'm thinking this and a z28 cluster mod for the wagon this year.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official Plasti Dip Thread   The Official Plasti Dip Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Official Plasti Dip Thread
Page 1 of 1