GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Found the Rattle!!

Go down 
+5
sherlock9c1
DBeaSSt
buickestate
BigBlackBeaSSt
81X11
9 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 9:32 am

I've had a rattle in the very rear of my wagon for some time now. It's not bad, just annoying, and comes and goes. I'd checked both plastic side panels, the 3rd-row seat bolts, moved stuff around in the side cargo box, and checked everything inside the tailgate when I fixed the linkage in there. Rattle remained. Had my brother-in-law ride in the 3rd row last time I was in Dallas, and he thought it was still inside the tail gate itself. Grrr.

So last night I was cleaning the inside of all the windows, and I went to clean the inside of the hatch glass, and the 3rd brake light cover seemed loose when I bumped it. I pulled out a torx driver, and the two torx screws on the bottom of the light were tight. Hmmm... Looked on the top of the housing, near the glass, and sure enough there were two more torx screws up there. Could not reach them with my torx screwdriver, due to the angle of the glass. Had to use a torx bit and some vice grips, and sure enough, those screws were really loose.

Closed the window, thunk, went for a drive, not a sound from the far back! cheers

Ahahaha! You have to appreciate the little things in life.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 9:59 am

Now it is time to put LED's in that little light. See mtrhead79 for the details....... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:17 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Now it is time to put LED's in that little light. See mtrhead79 for the details....... Very Happy

I just got it to stop rattling. Scared to touch it now.

My wife, always a ray of sunshine, asked me how long it would be now before a bulb burns out. Suspect
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 am

I Laughing give it a week!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:40 am

buickestate wrote:
I Laughing give it a week!

The LED's last a long time...... Wink
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Nice when a simple fix corrects one of those little annoying problems. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
sherlock9c1

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Be careful with that taillight housing assembly. They seem to break easily, at least the ones I've worked on.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:23 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Be careful with that taillight housing assembly. They seem to break easily, at least the ones I've worked on.

The kids grab it to pull the window closed when they get in the 3rd seat. It sits on a metal housing....should I tell them not to do that? Didn't think it was fragile.
Back to top Go down

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Yeah I wouldn't pull on it. I normally close the glass for my rear passengers. I'd be afraid I'd never find a red one again Sad
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:49 pm

I can appreciate the joy of solving an issue that has irritated you for 'some time'. It's like life has given you a small 'win'.
... and if you're kids enjoy riding back there, I'd be making my next small project the fabrication of a 'pull strap' of some kind for them. Time to stroll around Lowes or the HD for ideas.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm

i rode in the third seat one time in the black car, to find where the annoying squeak was coming from,.it was the whole back glass not really tight enough in its rubber,. adjusted the latch,. drowned it in wd 40 and all is good,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 5:28 pm

congrats on the "win" !! Get one of those dent pulling suction cups, put that on back glass on kid hauling days!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
81X11

81X11

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 5:35 pm

brokecello wrote:
congrats on the "win" !! Get one of those dent pulling suction cups, put that on back glass on kid hauling days!

That might mess up the window tint....
Back to top Go down

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Only if you leave it there permanently!Just pop it off when not needed and clean off any residue
with glass cleaner!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:38 pm

The light has a metal plate running through it. The nuts that hold it only go into the plastic exterior handle. The handle is fairly fragile. A piece of nylon strap/rope could be attached across the bottom of the struts. The stress on the glass would be minimal. Closing it for the rear seat occupants is the safest way to do it. No matter what, be gentle with the glass, they can break, and shower whoever is in the rear seat with shards. Tint makes them much stronger, and if it does break, it keeps the pieces together.

You can change the bulbs by removing just the bottom. The top can stay in place.

I have a couple of spare DMR third lights. There is always SEM paint to get the color you want.

If you remove the third light from the gate, be careful putting the screws back in the handle. They are a double trace, and one is larger than the other. If you get the thread in the wrong track, it will strip out the handle. You should be able to turn the screw in with your fingers, and only tighten it with a wrench.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 8:56 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:

If you remove the third light from the gate, be careful putting the screws back in the handle. They are a double trace, and one is larger than the other. If you get the thread in the wrong track, it will strip out the handle. You should be able to turn the screw in with your fingers, and only tighten it with a wrench.

This^^^ is important to learn whenever you are dealing with plastic. Find the 'sweet spot' with your fingers before using a driver.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 8:58 am

Lots of good info, thanks all.

And it was mentioned about SEM coating the case....my case is black. Did the housing on the older cars match the interior color?

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 9:11 am

Most of the cases match the color of the interior. There are some black ones. There are also some that have turned black from sun exposure as well. The bottoms of those are still the interior color.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 9:14 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Most of the cases match the color of the interior. There are black some ones. There are also some that have turned black from sun exposure as well. The bottoms of those are still the interior color.

Interesting. Mine is all black..which is fine....hides with the window tint. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Found the Rattle!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found the Rattle!!   Found the Rattle!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Found the Rattle!!
Page 1 of 1