GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars

Go down 
+4
Fred Kiehl
92cappy
81X11
chapel
8 posters
AuthorMessage
chapel

chapel

Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Empty
PostSubject: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 5:09 pm

so... yeah... I need some. Locally is better obviously.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 5:29 pm

chapel wrote:
so... yeah... I need some. Locally is better obviously.

Do you want the big SUV-type used on the 94-96 or the single sliding flush rail used on the 91-93?

I've seen both in the yards around here. I swapped my tall ones for the flush one.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t1394-another-neat-mod
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 5:39 pm

I was unaware there were different versions. how's the flush rail work with something like a roof carrier (bike) or a roof basket?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 6:06 pm

chapel wrote:
I was unaware there were different versions. how's the flush rail work with something like a roof carrier (bike) or a roof basket?

You have loop/hooks built in to the actual roof-rack from front and sides. The sliding rail also has loops on it's underside. I've not mounted a bike carrier up there, since I have a hitch I have a slide in bike carrier I use back there. I do however use the rail when I put the X-Cargo roof carrier up there, and it works fine. I slide it back and lock it (it has single chrome tabs that you lift up on the outer edges that release it and lock it) behind the carrier, and set the carrier on the roof and tie off front and rear.

Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Rack
Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Loaded
Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Edna1

When not in use, the single rail stows up just behind the Vista roof, and I think it looks a lot smoother than the tall rails. Just my 2-cents!

Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars PaintedTrim-Wagon009

-Mike

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Your other option is these:
Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars CC-43-027-800

The low-profile style roof racks look a TON better IMO.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:00 pm

The later version has thumb screws, and trapped fasteners. The earlier ones use a different type of fastener. You will have to remove the stops at the rear of the side channels to inserrt the old version. Be careful no to rip the nutserts out of the roof while turning the screws.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 1:20 am

Wow, that flush rail looks tons sexier than the other.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 9:58 am

jimbeau wrote:
Wow, that flush rail looks tons sexier than the other.

Agreed!

Before
Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars PolishedImpalaWheels004

After
Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars RoadmasterGS012

And to remove the old rails and install the new one you just have to remove two little caps toward the rear of the rack. There is one torx screw holding each. I've had no leak issues, but if you are concerned you could put a little silicone on the threads when you screw them back down. I honestly thought the screws just went into the rack itself and not the actual roof of the car. They are small and not terribly long.

I LOVE the flush rail. The only reason I could see going with the tall rails is if you were mounting a ski or bike carrier, they might be easier. My guess is GM went to the tall rails because they were a lot cheaper to make the the brushed metal and chromed single rail, which is a pretty hefty piece.

The way the rail locks and unlocks itself is pretty neat too, just flip up the chrome flaps and it's free, no twist screws. Pretty cool.

I know sometimes your chome up north gets pitted, so if you folks want me to look for these rails when I go yarding, let me know. Glad to grab good ones if needed.

Oh and I'm not positive, but I THINK the single rail on the Custom Cruisers was black instead of chrome. Any Cruiser owner's know for sure?

-Mike
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Mike,
I just got a low miles OCC (51,000) that had the black low rack. My Cruser is dark blue so I replaced it with a chrome one. I think it looks better.Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars DSCN0343
Dick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 11:15 am

The OEMs for the OCCs are black. I think they look nice, and can be repainted if they get faded. I put a chrome one on the White Elephant, and changed it back to the black one, because I think it looks better.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 11:54 am

save the black one they are hard to come by.

The TBI ones suck if you want to carry a surfboard or kayak though.
The LT1 version 'basket handles' (as NC Jon calls 'em) ride higher and give you clearence over the vista roof for longer items.

I'd advise getting a set of each Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 9:46 am

COL wrote:
Mike,
I just got a low miles OCC (51,000) that had the black low rack. My Cruser is dark blue so I replaced it with a chrome one. I think it looks better.

Dick

That looks sharp next to the blue paint. I like the chrome on these cars but to each his own!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:17 pm

To OP, I have a set of 94-96 you can have for the cost of shipping. Might still be pricy though.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:23 pm

thanks. I'll try to find some locally if possible. seems like a big item to ship
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars   Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roadmaster Roof Rack cross bars
Page 1 of 1