GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
COL

COL

Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Empty
PostSubject: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:47 pm

I have reviewed posts about shocks, springs and Airlift 1000 installations but most are a year old. I would like to hear from someone who actually pulls a trailer (20' or larger) and has installed upgrades to their Wagon for that reason.

My OCC will soon become my Tow Vehicle for a 22' Airstream trailer. The car has the factory tow package (3.23:1 and LSD) and I will use a weight distribution hitch as I did with my 1958 Caddy.

The shocks that are on my car are probably the originals (53,000) and they are very soft. Think "sea sick". So I am going to replace them soon.

My hitch receiver sits at 12" to center from the ground. That is one inch lower than the Cadillac. With no load I hit the hitch when pulling out of my driveway.

It seems to me the Airlift 1000 would do the trick but would like to get feedback from anyone with experience with the product over time. Thanks.
Dick
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I don't know squat about the finer points of trailer pulling, but if I was you (read: pulls a big trailer often), I would look into some heavy duty air bags that go inside the rear springs instead of air shocks. I would think that they would HAVE to be more durable and better at long term load bearing than the littler, high pressure bags on the shocks. They also would put less stress on the upper shock mounts in the vehicle, which weren't designed to put up with this kind of stress.
This is just my one cent.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Dick,

I have the Airlift 1000 bags with a compressor, gauge and switch on my wagon.

LOVE THIS SET UP!!!!!

This is my install
Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? P1000129

This is another members install with some great tips on installing the bags.
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t223-airlift-1000-install?highlight=airlift+1000

Highly recommend this. I trailer with it and it makes a great solid platform. Not a ton of lift, but just SOLID!!
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Does that setup replace the rear springs or nestle inside of them?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Look at the link my friend.............
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Airlift 1000   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 4:51 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Dick,

I have the Airlift 1000 bags with a compressor, gauge and switch on my wagon.

LOVE THIS SET UP!!!!!

This is my install
Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? P1000129

This is another members install with some great tips on installing the bags.
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t223-airlift-1000-install?highlight=airlift+1000

Highly recommend this. I trailer with it and it makes a great solid platform. Not a ton of lift, but just SOLID!!

Tim,
Thanks. I have seen the older link from floormonkey. Looks easy enough, I was looking for the input you provided about how well the application works actually towing. I like the way you installed the guage and air valve. Think I will put some gas shocks all the way around then do the Airlift 1000.

When I went from pulling this 15' canned ham trailer with the Cad to a 22' Airstream I installed 1/2 Suburban rear springs. That did the trick on the dragin'.
Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Dinosaurs
Dick
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Try the Airlifts by themselves first. I put a 1700 lb pop up, filled it with stuff, extended the receiver put 6 bikes between the hitch and the trailer had canoes on top, and full of people and it road great!!!!. Very good manners. If that does not work add the air shocks later.

Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Readyforcampingfromback

Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Readyforcampingpassfront
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Tim,
That is quite a going camping set up you got there. I did not plan to add air shocks to the mix. I was thinking KYB gas-adjust shocks on four corners and the Airlift 1000s in the springs.
Make sense??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 5:59 pm

I think Tim is saying just try the bags first on your existing rear shocks. However, if they're leaking or need to be replaced, feel free to do so.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 6:05 pm

I am one of the few that have had really bad luck with the Airlifts. Blew out two sets of them before I gave up and went back to air shocks. The issue I have with them is that they are not great for regaining height and if you have to use anything more than 25 lbs. of air, you risk over loading them on bumps.

Granted I haven't used them with a load equalizing hitch but have resigned myself to replacing airshocks every two years. I am looking into the real air bags but the price is a little steep for my use. Rule of thumb, if you want good shocks, use the Munroe airshocks and if you want good air bladders, go with the Gabriel. Currently run the Delco's and wouldn't do it again. Back to the Munroes this summer.

Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? CarTrailer2-1

Bill
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I think Tim is saying just try the bags first on your existing rear shocks. However, if they're leaking or need to be replaced, feel free to do so.
My shocks are not leaking. I was under the car today when servicing, But the ride is so soft, even bouncy, I hate floating long like that. I do not want to rattle my teeth out with too firm a shock, just do not want the float.

I guess I will have to experiment. Ride is a matter of personal taste anyway. I used airshocks for years on the 58 cadillac but had to replace them once a year. After I put on taller Suburban coil springs on (variable load) it solved my towing challenge.
Dick
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Airlifts, Enuf said!............

Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? IMAG0012-1

Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? 03-30-09_1300

Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? 03-30-09_1335
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:16 pm

[quote="Deadmanonduty"]Airlifts, Enuf said!............

That is very convincing. Thanks.
Dick
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:47 pm

If you buy the whole kit from Airlift including their pump, they put a life time warranty on the bags!!

I run billstein shocks. Monroe Severe Service work also, but to rough for my liking.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 pm

COL wrote:
Stingroo wrote:
My shocks are not leaking. I was under the car today when servicing, But the ride is so soft, even bouncy, I hate floating long like that. I do not want to rattle my teeth out with too firm a shock, just do not want the float.

I guess I will have to experiment. Ride is a matter of personal taste anyway. I used airshocks for years on the 58 cadillac but had to replace them once a year. After I put on taller Suburban coil springs on (variable load) it solved my towing challenge.
Dick

Typical of air shocks. Either the bladders go or the shock portions. Never at the same time. Personally, if I could find a bag that would maintain ride height when loaded, coupled with a couple of KYBs, that would be ideal.

Bill
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 11:08 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
If you buy the whole kit from Airlift including their pump, they put a life time warranty on the bags!!

I run billstein shocks. Monroe Severe Service work also, but to rough for my liking.
I think that is the ticket!!!!!! Thanks for the input.
Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? DeamOCC4MAR2012021

Dick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?   Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airlift 1000/ who has used them for awhile to TOW a trailer?
Page 1 of 1