GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear Wiper Arm Broken

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

Rear Wiper Arm Broken Empty
PostSubject: Rear Wiper Arm Broken   Rear Wiper Arm Broken Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 12:55 pm

I don't know which heading to put this under, so I'm glad there's this heading!

I just found out that my rear wiper arm broke! I'm sure that I can get the rest off of the car, and I did try the wiper switch under the dash, and it still works! I don't understand why it broke, but it's broke!

Is this a part that is still available from GM? If not, then does anyone have one to sell?

Thanks,
John
Back to top Go down
http://www.lubedealer.com/nielsen
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wiper Arm Broken   Rear Wiper Arm Broken Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 3:49 am

WOW! No responses? I thought that this was the place for B-body wagon parts/problems?

I can't be the only person ever with a broken rear wiper arm!

Still available through GM?

If not, then anyone have one?

John
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wiper Arm Broken   Rear Wiper Arm Broken Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 7:21 am

It's Christmas. We're not monitoring the place 24/7.

No, they're probably not available from GM anymore. Easy enough part to get from a junkyard car, though. Pull one, re-paint it black, and re-install. Comes off easily enough. Lift it, push the retainer clip DOWN, and pry with screwdriver. Probably a good idea to spray with some penetrating oil and let it sit for a bit before you attempt removal, and use something like a block of wood or a piece of PVC pipe to pry against so you don't smash your window.

Done.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wiper Arm Broken   Rear Wiper Arm Broken Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 8:56 am

I agree. 1100 or so registered members, and 3 are online today. It's the slowest time of the year for this board....

Ray is correct with the replacement. Simple and quick.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wiper Arm Broken   Rear Wiper Arm Broken Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 10:11 am

I have one that I no longer have a use for. Wink Yours for the price of shipping, if you want it.

Patience, Grashoppah, patience. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wiper Arm Broken   Rear Wiper Arm Broken Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Removal is lift and hold the wiper arm up until it stops, put a screwdriver between the tang and base, pry the tang gently away from the base (the arm will stay up), wiggle the arm up and down gently, and the arm will slide off of the splined shaft.

They break because the base is made from cast metal, and is not very strong. There is a cast end to the arm that attaches to the spring, and hinges in the base that is also weak. They are known to break. If the arm is broken, you may have to use a screw driver or other tool to lift the stub to get the tang to move to the "up lock position" on the arm before trying to remove it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wiper Arm Broken   Rear Wiper Arm Broken Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 5:31 pm

I just took mine off andreplaced it with a small chrome bullett. Looks a ton better without it IMO and with properly applied Rain-X and a working rear defogger, its not needed anyways.
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wiper Arm Broken   Rear Wiper Arm Broken Icon_minitimeWed Dec 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I just PM'd Toomanytoys, to tell him I'll take his. Sorry for the impatience, but karma came to bite me in the ass, as right after I wrote that, I lost my home internet! Sucks doing everything off the phone!

John
Back to top Go down
Tomestonebilly

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wiper Arm Broken   Rear Wiper Arm Broken Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 pm

3ton mine is broken too, would you have a picture of your rear wiper fix ? Was it like the covers for lug nuts ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wiper Arm Broken   Rear Wiper Arm Broken Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Wiper Arm Broken
Page 1 of 1