GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

spark plug question

Go down 
+5
Sprocket
gmtech
Fred Kiehl
1phastsswagon
roadmastercouple
9 posters
AuthorMessage
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

spark plug question Empty
PostSubject: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 5:43 pm

so i read in my haynes manual that i shouldnt use platinum plugs in my wagon. why is this? i have put original copper ones in it since i got it? is there a better one?? i have the 350 tbi
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:34 pm

I have used NGK V-Power plugs as well as A/C Delco Rapid Fires with good results.

I do NOT recommend anything BOSCH
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:37 pm

I did not see anywhere in the Haynes manual that you should not use platinum plugs. Just do not use the Bosch platinum plugs.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:37 pm

ok thank you
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Without a doubt stay away from the BOSCH plug.

The Platinum and Iridium plugs were developed to be used with today's engine with the waste spark coil systems, because of the way the spark plugs fires. One spark plug fires in the positive direction and the other fires in the negative direction. A copper based spark plug would not last very long in this system.

But as for your engine, stick with the factory recommended plug, copper. (CR43TS, if memory serves me correctly.) I am a big fan of using what the factory recommends every time. Fewer problems. Try Platinum if you'd like, don't see why they wouldn't "work". If they don't "work" you can always go back to the original type.

I think a lot of the fancy plugs out there are just sales gimmicky stuff saying BUY ME, BUY ME! Think of it this way, if the spark plug was so good, why did they not install them right from the factory? (Yeah.... I know, maybe the technology wasn't there at the time.)
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:45 pm

+3 on stay away from bosch plugs.. burned a hole through a piston with them before

Last edited by Sprocket on Mon May 21, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 11:06 pm

Mike,
Here is a breakdown on the NGK's (Taken from my clubs forum)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have used both of the top two numbers and had good results with them
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 11:00 am

+1 on the AC Delco CR43TS. Just put in a fresh set a few weeks ago. The last set lasted for many years. I also use these in the Turbo Buick.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 2:28 pm

I pulled the plugs on the '73 rocket 350 engine today and out comes...Autolite 86. Never heard of it. Can anyone help me with the correct number AC Delco plugs?
Thnx,
Pete
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Autolite 86 is still sold here.
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Dutch Pete wrote:
I pulled the plugs on the '73 rocket 350 engine today and out comes...Autolite 86. Never heard of it. Can anyone help me with the correct number AC Delco plugs?
Thnx,
Pete

The Autolite's are typically used in a Ford engine, similar to the Motorcraft spark plug. Put some ACs back in it!

As far back as I "think" I can remember the Olds engine used the a gasket style spark plug then. Now, as far as what the plug number is I am going to guess the R46SZ and they had a huge gap, something in the order of .080". Crazy! Double check for sure though.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 2:12 am

gmtech wrote:
... good blurb, followed by some truth: ==> (Yeah.... I know, maybe the technology wasn't there at the time.) <==
Are you saying that the newer, tougher materials plugs would be a downgrade over old school plugs in an old school ride? If so, exactly why?
The reason it matters is that they are so laughably cheap with respect to the effort and time involved to change them, that in my opinion, it would be foolish to scrimp a few bucks on the plugs. Time is money.
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 6:35 pm

No.... I just don't recall the Platinum or Iridium plug being available at the time of production on some of the older vehicles, '92-'93. If you ask me I would put either one of those plugs in an older vehicle. I'm sure AC makes the precious metal plug for most applications, if so, use it. If it doesn't work the way you want, replace them. I wasn't having this problem until.....

In speaking with a colleague of mine today who dyno tunes vehicles on a regular basis. To paraphrase "Use what works and stay away from Platinum or Iridium plugs on super- or turbo-charged engines. High boost blows of the precious metals into the cylinder." In fact when questioning the NGK TR-series plugs he commented just use the correct heat range and it would work just well as the plug originally designed for the engine. (There is no magic in them, my words.)

I personally think there is just too much hype in spark plugs. Plug manufacturers are trying to get into your pockets. Seriously, E3's, split-fires, rapid fires and so on. Sounds like money for me, I've scrapped more of those plugs than I care to mention and some only hours old.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 6:38 pm

thanks for opinions guys just ordered some ngk 2771s and a new set of spark plugs from summit
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:24 pm

I'm sorry but I just had to do this.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have no experience with this one.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 10:26 pm

I don't care hoe BRIGHT the flash is, I just need it to ignite the fuel air mixture in the cyl. I have been running the cheapies non-platinum copper plugs in my LT1 with zero problems. I just have to change them more often.
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
I don't care hoe BRIGHT the flash is, I just need it to ignite the fuel air mixture in the cyl. I have been running the cheapies non-platinum copper plugs in my LT1 with zero problems. I just have to change them more often.

EXACTLY!!! Case and point! Case closed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: spark plug question   spark plug question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

spark plug question
Page 1 of 1