GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC

Go down 
+12
1phastsswagon
HERD_546
DROLDS2U
81X11
95BRMW
Sprocket
92cappy
94X2
COL
1993 Roady-man
buickestate
mayneman
16 posters
AuthorMessage
mayneman

mayneman

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Empty
PostSubject: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 pm

I will be needing tires within the next 10k or so on my 1992 OCC. Here are a few ideas I have and I'm hoping some of you can help me not screw this up. I am down to two wheel options and several tire options.

The wheels currently on the wagon are the stock polished aluminum Olds.
The gentleman I bought the car from has given me Chevy ralleys that are painted to match the lower gray on the body > complete with trim rings and center caps.

Below is what I've been contemplating:

Option 1) OCC stock polished aluminum with black-wall 235/70/15s

Option 2) OCC stock polished aluminum with whitewall 235/70/15s

Option 3) OCC stock polished aluminum with RWL 235/70/15s

Option 4) Ralleys with RWL 235/70/15s

Option 5) Ralleys with black-wall 235/70/15s

I love the stock wheels.....real classy; I think the ralleys would give it more of an aggressive muscle look.....very cool.

HELP!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Since seeing your polished wheels I am planning on going with option 3 shortly for my OCC!Just
have to finish polishing up the wheels!
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 pm

That's a great choice Jim.......maybe you'll beat me to it and post pics to help me decide!!

The RWLs I'm looking at are the Firehawk Indy 500s.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Don't go blackwall. I did. Sidewall looks GIGANTIC. Hate it.
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Good advice Sting, I might cross those off the list.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:31 pm

white walls all the way!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:51 pm

Forget the WWs and go with RWLs.Its not a old farts wagon is it?
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:59 pm

No Jim, I'm not quite an old fart........but I'm well on my way!

I only considered the WWs to keep that stock look, they are actually at the very bottom of my preferences, but I don't hate them.

I am leaning heavily towards RWLs, just not sure which wheels........that is the harder decision for me.

Surely there are more than a few opinions out there. Like they say, opinions are like Question , everyone has one......right?!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 6:41 am

I put WW on my beast for awhile but when I changed it up to RWL it gave it that more agressive look to it. If you want to see a b4 and after look let me know and I will post it.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 8:30 am

1993 Roady-man wrote:
I put WW on my beast for awhile but when I changed it up to RWL it gave it that more agressive look to it. If you want to see a b4 and after look let me know and I will post it.

Post em Surprised
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 12:47 pm

mayneman wrote:
That's a great choice Jim.......maybe you'll beat me to it and post pics to help me decide!!

The RWLs I'm looking at are the Firehawk Indy 500s.......

Good tire. I'm on my second set and have been pleased. I just bought a set about 4 months ago and was told by firestone that they were discontinued. I just called and they are still available BUT have gone from $92.00 per tire to $129.00 per tire since feb. Still worth it, I put 80k on the last set. I think they would look good on your polished OCC rims.

Jon
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Before:
Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC HPIM3475

After:
Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC 001-3

Big difference
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Wow that is a big difference, thanks for posting the photos it is a great help, plus I can see from your signature what the ralleys will look like with RWLs.

@ 94x2:
They are great tires, I had them years ago on my Chevy shortbox.........really set off the stock aluminum wheels on it, and rode very nice plus were quiet on the highway.

OK I am sold on the RWLs, just wish someone out there had photos of them mounted on the stock OCC wheels.......
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 6:18 pm

I'd go ralleys.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 pm

INDY 500s ftw. Love 'em. And I was NOT a firestone fan at all.

Ralleys and Indys for most aggressive look, although I do like the stock alloys on the OLDS.
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 1:58 am

OK, I just ran across a deal for 4 Centerline Racing wheels, like new for $100!
They are 15 x 9 with 4 inch backspacing.

Anyone know if these will fit my cruiser, and if so what is my limit concerning tires?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 4:34 am

I don't think those would fit in the rear. Some people say 15x8 with 4" BS rubs in the back during hard cornering and stuff, so adding another inch outward from the mounting face of the wheel is going to push it even closer to the fender skirt. If they're close to you, maybe go see if he'll let you mock one up to see.

I wouldn't bet on it, though.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Wide white walls!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:58 pm

+1 on what Roo said. Too much wheel outboard will rub the skirt for sure.
I just ordered a set of RWL Generals w/ 70k warranty from....gasp....Wally world. Hard to beat 400 out the door mounted and balanced, not to mention a 50 dollar rebate on top of that!
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 1:41 pm

OK, I finally did it, 235/70/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's and chevy truck rallys painted up nicey-nice, here are the photos.............
Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Img00815
Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Img00811
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Need to get some Oldsmobile decals made for them. Smile Nice color choice.
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Need to get some Oldsmobile decals made for them. Smile Nice color choice.

I agree, they are currently being shipped!!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 7:50 pm

SHARP! I love T/A Radials and the wheels painted to match the lower body looks awesome. VERY nice!!
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Hey thanks for noticing, not quite a perfect match, but I'm glad it looks like it is!

I really wanted these Ridlers with the gray centers, would look sweet on these white/gray cars, someday when I'm rich and famous I guess.
Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC 306-695
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 8:57 pm

i also just picked up a set of the truck rallyes, not putting them on till i repaint them aluminum , and put on buick decals, they already have brand new cooper w/w's on them, had no choice, only paid $60 for them from j/y, was just in right place, was getting a shifter cable off a blazer for my console MOD, probably in a few months
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 pm

Question mayneman,how are your polished stock alloys holding up?I polished up a extra center cap I had to a mirror finish and it seemed to oxidize pretty quickly.If I did polish up my alloys,
would probably clear coat them immeidiately to keep the shine and run a set of RWL 235/70/15
BFG radial T/As.
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Polishing is holding up quite well, all I wipe off is brake dust and road dirt, quick wipe-down and they shine. Previous owner polished them, I'd suspect they've been clear-coated because I haven't noticed any oxidation on them yet. Someday I'll throw a set of used tires on them so I can change the look of the car whenever I want.
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 am

OK, I got the Olds center emblems, so thought it best that I share. These were $19.99 on Ebay but make a big difference visually I think.

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC IMG00832_20120826_0810
Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC IMG00831_20120826_0810
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 12:21 am

Flasheroo wrote:
Question mayneman,how are your polished stock alloys holding up?I polished up a extra center cap I had to a mirror finish and it seemed to oxidize pretty quickly.If I did polish up my alloys,
would probably clear coat them immeidiately to keep the shine and run a set of RWL 235/70/15
BFG radial T/As.

I removed all the yellow'd clearcoat from my Impala wheels on the Roady Jim, and with a coat of wax now and then, they stayed looking greatl
Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:02 am

Good point, I've been keeping up the waxing with mine..........they may not have been clear-coated after all.
Back to top Go down
HERD_546

HERD_546

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 12:00 am

On my 1992 Caprice Wagon I had the BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires on the Caprice GTZ wheels.
They looked great. I ran a 235/70R15 on the front and 255/70R 15 on the rear.. I could run the bigger tire in the back due to the ABS was dead.. I have a photo some where..

Look me up on Facebook there is a photo there of my 92 Wagon..
Back to top Go down
http://www.theherd.com
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 1:29 am

mayneman wrote:
OK, I finally did it, 235/70/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's and chevy truck rallys painted up nicey-nice, here are the photos.............
Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Img00815
Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Img00811

Looks really good - Hows it ride
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 4:07 am

It rides very nice, feels a bit tighter and somewhat less bumpy than the Michelins (225/75/15) I was running. These now are called Radial T/A E-4.....not sure what E-4 means, and I haven't run these in years so I couldn't say if the ride has improved from the non-E-4 tires. The tire salesman stated that the E-4 is an improvement in ride quality and wet roads.......could be a sales pitch(?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:25 am

mayneman wrote:
Hey thanks for noticing, not quite a perfect match, but I'm glad it looks like it is!

I really wanted these Ridlers with the gray centers, would look sweet on these white/gray cars, someday when I'm rich and famous I guess.

I'm not rich or famous but they look like this!

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC 1small11

Back to top Go down
mayneman

mayneman

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 3:35 pm

JimR wrote:
mayneman wrote:

I'm not rich or famous but they look like this!

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC 1small11

That looks pretty awesome!
Back to top Go down
dcolds

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 4:02 pm

I like the Impala ss 17,s with olds factory centers look great my combo is 225/65/17 tires ride an handling is great.is what I have on my 92 CC wagon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Got pics? I'm interested in seeing your center cap setup (also, do the 225s look stretched on there?)
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC 3Ke3N33Ha5If5Y05Kcccf6a8bd6ce798b145e

LOVE the wheels with the unobtanium hubcaps!
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 9:41 am

Stingroo wrote:
Got pics? I'm interested in seeing your center cap setup (also, do the 225s look stretched on there?)

I've got 225/60R17 on my Fleetwood with SS wheels and I like the look. Would probably look silly at stock height but I'm dropped.

Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 8:28 pm

81X11 wrote:
Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC 3Ke3N33Ha5If5Y05Kcccf6a8bd6ce798b145e

LOVE the wheels with the unobtanium hubcaps!

I love those centers. What are the centers from?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Those are the stock centers from a Buick. I know where there's an extra set... but I'm sworn to secrecy! I have first dibs...
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 11:36 pm

kevin those are the uber rare olds centers cousins to the rare buick centers

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC DSC01441

and you can play with the center caps and do what ever you want

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC DSC01348

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC 002-4

but the rims also look good with the 81 corvette centers caps and chrome lug nuts

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC DSC01626

Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 11:38 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Those are the stock centers from a Buick. I know where there's an extra set... but I'm sworn to secrecy! I have first dibs...

Sorry Jay but those are actually olds center caps, they were a factory options on the last years of the boxy OCC, hence why they are even harder to find than the buick ones...
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 12:15 am

Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 12:32 am

buickestate wrote:
jayoldschool wrote:

Sorry Jay but those are actually olds center caps, they were a factory options on the last years of the boxy OCC, hence why they are even harder to find than the buick ones...

I thought they were buick center with inserts from a different olds added in. Interesting to know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC   Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me decide.....wheels and tires on my OCC
Page 1 of 1