GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My wonderful day...

Go down 
+2
lornejay1
jayoldschool
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

My wonderful day... Empty
PostSubject: My wonderful day...   My wonderful day... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 9:38 pm

I'm in the middle of the front to back brake line replacement on my rusty winter RMW. Just so you have an idea, the line I am replacing has been replaced before for the same reason. Anyways, I pop into the school shop today to see if they have a bubble flare tool. I find out that they had just bought one last week! So, my morning is good. I am thinking that I will pick up my lines after work, bring them in tomorrow, flare them up, and get back on the RMW after work on Wednesday.

So, I decide to go out for lunch to have a few moments of quiet away from the kids. Hop in the Caprice wagon, turn the key, and... nothing. Dash lights/ding are good. Fuel pump primes. This morning was the coldest since I bought the car, so immediately think battery. Get it pulled out, and off to the school shop to charge and test. I check in at the end of the day, and the battery seems charged, but it isn't holding against a load very well. No big deal, I have more batteries at home. Out to the parking lot, install the battery. Turn key. Nothing. Now I am pissed. Back to the shop for a floor jack and a BFH. I get it up in the air and start beating on the starter while someone tries to start it. Nope. I head into the gym, and grab half the junior basketball team (I coach the senior team, so these guys would jump off a cliff for me) and tell them to push the car in the shop. Up on the hoist, grab the tools, and the starter is out in 15 minutes. A quick call to the parts place, and the new starter will be delivered in the morning.

Just to make sure, we checked the starter. Powering the starter, it won't spin. Powering the solenoid won't even get it to pop. I guess it's done.

While yanking the starter, I glanced sideways, and found a fresh dead mouse wedged between the right front rotor and the dust shield. I didn't feel sorry for him.

I'm taking the SS to work tomorrow. If that doesn't start, I am going to look pretty funny driving the 65 with a scarf on.

How was your day?
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: My wonderful day...   My wonderful day... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Thats interesting. I went to start the SS from Nick yesterday and nada.

Jr has been starting it for the entire high school since Sept after school so I figured he killed the Batt.

Hooked the charger up and went back after filling up on Turkey,nada but lights,ding ding.

Hook up suburban,nothin,not even a click.

So after reading about you I am wondering ,How old is battery Nick?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: My wonderful day...   My wonderful day... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Day was better today. Starter was waiting for me by the time I got to the shop, and it went in fine. Car started right up.

I just got in from the garage where I pulled the rest of my rusty brake line off the RMW. Got two sections in, and measured up the front section that I need to bubble flare tomorrow. Hope that the bleeder screws don't break, and that the other rusty non-leaking lines can hold pressure for one more winter for me. I don't even want to bring up what the frame looks like in front of the driver's rear tire. I'm sad... I love that car...
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: My wonderful day...   My wonderful day... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:58 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
I don't even want to bring up what the frame looks like in front of the driver's rear tire.
That's what doomed my 95. Same exact location. I feel your pain.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: My wonderful day...   My wonderful day... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 8:01 am

Glad you got it going...I bet the RMW will last another winter Neutral So does the frame rust through in that location? I guess I can't complain about my '96, you guys deal with a lot worse than I can imagine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: My wonderful day...   My wonderful day... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 9:56 am

brokecello wrote:
So does the frame rust through in that location? I guess I can't complain about my '96, you guys deal with a lot worse than I can imagine.

Only when you fill them up with slushy, salty water and then let them sit. Make it a point to flush out the underbody every two weeks during the winter.

Jay:

Glad to see your getting over your eventful day and getting back on track.

Bill
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: My wonderful day...   My wonderful day... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Quote :
Glad you got it going...I bet the RMW will last another winter Neutral So does the frame rust through in that location?

Thanks! I drove the blue Caprice today. New starter is starting, so all is well. Yes, I can tell my frame is starting to go. You know where the frame kicks up and there are a couple of stamped holes? Well, there is a new hole beginning. Not surprising, however. Car was rusty when I got it 6 years ago, and I can count the number of times it has been washed since then on one hand. It has never been undercoated, either. Thank god the new Caprice is clean, and very greasy with years of oil undercoating.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: My wonderful day...   My wonderful day... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 10:22 pm

Lorne,. check to see the shifter is in park good,.if folks REEF on the shifter without depressing the brake pedal,. itscrews up the linkeage,.

Jay,. flush the hole out .,. then add expandable foam till the fram is filled right there,. shave off the excess,. it will stop it from rotting as fast,. and give it support,.

Nick
packing a travel bag,..
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: My wonderful day...   My wonderful day... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 11:00 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Jay,. flush the hole out .,. then add expandable foam till the fram is filled right there,. shave off the excess,. it will stop it from rotting as fast,. and give it support,.

Nick
packing a travel bag,..

Have actually contemplated doing that as a preventative measure on the entire frame. Would have to come up with some way of blocking out the access holes for the frame mounts, but if we can prevent the water from getting in then there should be no way that it could cause rust from the inside out.

There are lots of expanding foam products available out there. Would just have to find one that doesn't shrink again over time (like the insulation foam we get at Home Depot).

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My wonderful day...   My wonderful day... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My wonderful day...
Page 1 of 1