GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? Empty
PostSubject: Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference?   Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 4:25 pm

I learned something about B body wagons that may be of use or interest to someone:

Two tail lights. The one on the left is from a '77- '79 Estate Wagon. The one on the right, from an '80 or newer.
They're the same, aren't they?

Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? 10hm5g4

Look closer at the upper left:

Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? 28v9lbq
The broken one is a '77. The pretty one is an '80.

Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? 14e6tfr

When you mount an '80 or newer tail light on a '77 - '79, the difference is obvious.

Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? Xc9lkg

The happy ending: Exclamation

While the chrome plated die cast frames are different, the plastic lenses and reflectors are identical, and interchange easily.
I would venture to guess that all B body wagons of all years that look the same use the exact same plastic parts, with the difference between a Buick/Chevy/etc. being only the chrome surround. Idea

Many thanks to cadillac kevin for sending the good lense!! cheers
No more tape on my rear end!
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference?   Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 9:15 am

That's cool to see and know.

I always hate seeing taped up tail lights. Glad you could fix that beast up.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference?   Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 am

I had no idea they were different. I always thought they were the same as well. Weird.

Glad the lens worked for you!
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference?   Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 pm

scoffman wrote:
I always hate seeing taped up tail lights.

As bad as the tape may look, I always hate having a bright brake light bulb glaring in your face through a broken lens. Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference?   Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Glad to hear that worked out. I remember as a kid the buick lights stuck out at the top like that on dads catalina wagon, but I always thought it was a buick/olds vs a pontiac/ chevy thing (different body shapes/ body lines for different brands) not a generational thing. Good to know for future reference though. When looking the lens over, I did find it odd how the lens did not follow the curve of the chrome on the upper half though. Now I know why.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference?   Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buick Estate tail lights- Can you spot the difference?
Page 1 of 1