GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Olds hood emblem on OCC??

Go down 
+7
uxwbill
scoffman
jayoldschool
COL
JaySS
Wagoninabox
81X11
11 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Empty
PostSubject: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 12:47 am

There was a thread here a while back showing a 1991 OCC factory pic...most likely pre-production car from a brochure. It had an Oldsmobile emblem on the hood above the driver's side headlight, same place I have one on my '88 Cutlass and my Mom had one on her '93 Cutlass. A lot of Olds' back then had this emblem. Anyone have the thread link? I can't find it...

ANYWAY on a whim I yanked one of those emblems off a '92 Cutlass at the salvage yard today. I have NOT mounted it....only have it sitting on the hood in the pics below. What do you think? I mean from those pre-production pics we know the OCC stylists wanted it on there....most likely to make it look less like a Caprice or Roady....and I'm sure the bean-counters saved 5-cents per car by taking it off for production.

Just kicking it around! Thoughts?

Olds hood emblem on OCC?? IMG_20120909_204047
Olds hood emblem on OCC?? IMG_20120909_204036
Olds hood emblem on OCC?? IMG_20120909_204107

Would match the Cutlass...
Olds hood emblem on OCC?? IMG_20120905_180122

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 2:37 am

Mike:

I recall the post but couldn't find it either. My take is to put the emblem on. There is something unique about the olds script/font of that emblem that blends nicely on the front. Might be that it has a more rounded over finish and low profile. I layed a Buick emblem on mine like you did and it looked horrible.

Yours looks factory and downright cool!
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 6:54 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 am

I like that.

Go for it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:29 am

JaySS wrote:
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t4297-has-anyone-ever-seen-this-on-an-occ

- J

That's it, thanks!

I may put this one....kinda unique. The emblem is metal too, not plastic. Nice. Glad to see the mesurements in the link above so I can put it in the correct location. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 am

I would put the Olds emblem on the passenger side of your hood and the "Custom Cruiser" emblem
on the drivers side of the hood.Pretty sure that they would fit there just fine without looking
overcrowded.Would definitely be unique!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:40 am

Wagoninabox wrote:
Mike:

I recall the post but couldn't find it either. My take is to put the emblem on. There is something unique about the olds script/font of that emblem that blends nicely on the front. Might be that it has a more rounded over finish and low profile. I layed a Buick emblem on mine like you did and it looked horrible.

Yours looks factory and downright cool!

Hard to see it at the angle I took the pics but the Olds emblem is actually curved a bit and the letters lean over at a slight angle. It's made to go on a curved front hood. Really looks stock in person. I'm very temped to mount it.

-Mike

Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:42 am

I think the bean counters were right and the designers were wrong. It looks tacky. The sometimes less is more.
col
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:43 am

Flasheroo wrote:
I would put the Olds emblem on the passenger side of your hood and the "Custom Cruiser" emblem
on the drivers side of the hood.Pretty sure that they would fit there just fine without looking
overcrowded.Would definitely be unique!

I don't want to over-emblem it. And the way the Olds emblem is curved and the way the letters lean, on the passengr-side it'd look like the letters were falling over.

I was just trying to add some "Olds-ness" to the car. Seperate it further from the Chev and Buick. Almost all Olds from the late 80's and early 90's had this emblem above the driver's side headlight. I think it looks kinda neat on there.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:58 am

I like it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 am

Seems weird that the emblem is not centered between the hood edge and the ridge in the hood in the FSM and promo pics. When messing with mine I basically centered it.

Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Hoodbadge

Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Oldsmobile_custom-cruiser-1991_r1.jpg

Olds hood emblem on OCC?? 1991.oldsmobile.customcruiser.8651-E
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:22 am

Looks nice but if you think your MPG is bad now wait till you mess up the aerodynamics of the hood putting that little decal on there increasing drag as the air flows past it. Twisted Evil

could this be the real reason it was left off during production? GM wouldn't have met CAFE standards for AVG MPG on these wagons if they left those decal emblems on the Oldsmobile? silent

I would go for it though it looks nice IMO.
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:39 am

I could take it or leave it...putting it there certainly doesn't look bad, but if it wasn't there from the factory I'd never have missed it.

I saw some interesting remarks in that old thread...someone said the FSM shows a Caprice grille, but I don't think that's correct. Only half the grille is visible and to my eye at least, half of an OCC grille looks a lot like a Caprice grille.

I also liked the photoshop job in that thread. It gave me a good chuckle. Too bad the poster didn't think to slap some Olds ornaments on the mirrors too! (And wasn't there an Olds trim piece around the key opening on the doors?)

Last edited by uxwbill on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wow, major typos)
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 1:16 pm

go for it! but you will also have to black out your b pillars like the concept wagon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 1:18 pm

COL wrote:
I think the bean counters were right and the designers were wrong. It looks tacky. The sometimes less is more.
col

agreed.........
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 1:29 pm

For me, I don't care about the bean counters. There's a bigger problem:
You all know how many bugs, dirt and dust hit the front edge of the hood. Putting an emblem there would be a dirt collector. You wouldn't be able to wax around the emblem, leaving the paint vulnerable. It'd take extra effort to clean every time you wash the car. Up north, that'd be a potential rust spot too.

Now I realize Mike already owns an Olds with that emblem in place, so you know what I'm talking about. I think it looks cool, but from a maintenance perspective, I would never ever put something there.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 2:27 pm

I like it,just where you have it Mike,

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Olds hood emblem on OCC??   Olds hood emblem on OCC?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Olds hood emblem on OCC??
Page 1 of 1